Reading the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading the Broncos

I think the Broncos have a general plan from what I can guess. There's a trend in the NFL to favor interior pass rush and protection because QBs are either mobile and/or get rid of the ball so quickly now and DEs don't have quite as much time to get to the QB.

We've seem to put a high priority on interior OL with Risner, Cush, Glascow and even Muti all playing inside while basically ignoring OT. These are all strong, tough "Munchak" guys.

I believe a big reason we took Jeudy and Hamler (and signed Gordon) is because they can get open quickly. While Jeudy and Hamler can go deep, I think they'll only do go deep enough to keep the D honest (or exploit something) with the plan being for Lock to get rid of the ball quickly or move and have the middle of the OL hold up against increasing pressure from DTs.

IMO Fangio is a big reason for the priority being offense. There's been a few coaches with D backgrounds that were great on O like Don Coryell and Lavell Edwards.

Fangio has repeatedly said he wants an O that pressures all parts of the field. He said why he liked Jeudy and said it was pretty simple and that he looks for WRs that needed special attention by his D and Jeudy was the only WR in the draft that he felt this way about.

It's also pretty well known that Vic fired Scangarello because he wasn't aggressive enough. I think Vic wants Shurmur and Elway to build an O that scares his D.

I also think there's a reason why we loaded up the middle of our OL and the best option for LT and Bolles may be not to rely on him as much?

I don't know if ignoring T is the right way to put that. We have, at the time of his signing, the league's highest paid RT and a 1st round pick at LT. Those are large investments and the team wants to see them through. Espeically with Bolles showing improvement and James actually playing well through the first year of his contract- the only thing wrong being his health. This will be the first year Bolles has the same OL coach in consecutive years, I'm sure that is a factor as well.

That being said, I agree our tackles are the biggest question marks, or even weaknesses, on the line. I think we acquired players to help mitigate their potential negative impact. We can run two TE sets with AOK and Fant, both chipping before they release with both possessing the speed and athleticism to still make it through their route after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
      I don't know if ignoring T is the right way to put that. We have, at the time of his signing, the league's highest paid RT and a 1st round pick at LT. Those are large investments and the team wants to see them through. Espeically with Bolles showing improvement and James actually playing well through the first year of his contract- the only thing wrong being his health. This will be the first year Bolles has the same OL coach in consecutive years, I'm sure that is a factor as well.

That being said, I agree our tackles are the biggest question marks, or even weaknesses, on the line. I think we acquired players to help mitigate their potential negative impact. We can run two TE sets with AOK and Fant, both chipping before they release with both possessing the speed and athleticism to still make it through their route after the fact.
      Even if Bolles was a first round pick and is a good guy I feel most teams would have tried to replace him by now
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I don't know if ignoring T is the right way to put that. We have, at the time of his signing, the league's highest paid RT and a 1st round pick at LT. Those are large investments and the team wants to see them through. Espeically with Bolles showing improvement and James actually playing well through the first year of his contract the only thing wrong being his health. This will be the first year Bolles has the same OL coach in consecutive years, I'm sure that is a factor as well.

............... good one
        Last edited by FL BRONCO; 04-29-2020, 08:37 AM.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

The interior O-Line has been strengthened with Glasgow and Cushenberry joining "Route 66" Risner. If Denver's medical, training and strength/conditioning staffs can help Muti get 100% healthy and on the field consistently, the interior O-Line will be a strength. There is depth with Wilkinson, Schlottmann and Morris. This will keep the pocket from collapsing and give Buzz time and a view of the field when he is passing.

Addressing the T position is still a work in progress. None of the top four fell to Denver in the first round because the run on Tackles began before the run on WRs. Six Tackles were drafted in the first round. Denver apparently didn't like those remaining at #46 enough to take one instead of the players they chose in the 2nd & 3rd. There is a credible rumor that Elway will try to sign a veteran UFA T. That would be good at this point, and there might be just enough cap space to make it happen.

There should be a good group of Tackles available in next year's Draft. Elway might need to trade up in order to get a good one. Maybe Denver will have some compensatory picks they could use to help that effort. In the meantime, we hope Munchak can help Bolles to improve, and that James can figure out a way to stay out of the training room because T depth is practically non-existent at the moment.

Like all good DCs, Vic Fangio spends much of his time studying offenses. As a HC, he studied his own offense and decisively relieved Rich Scangarello of his duties after the 2019 season. Getting Pat Shurmur and Mike Shula to join his offensive staff was a good move IMO.

The draft reinforced the direction in which Vic Fangio wants the offense to go. He wants it to be aggressive and to score more points. The effort to field an offense bristling with playmakers has been made. We shall see how that materializes.
          Last edited by samparnell; 04-29-2020, 09:53 AM. Reason: format
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think it is safe to say that the OT situation is a work in progress.

At the moment it seems really shaky with current players on the roster. It will be interesting to see who they bring in from free agency. Starter or depth? Only one or multiple to compete?

Funny that the “best” solution may already be on the team with Risner. Especially if Muti proves himself healthy and earns a starting G position. That would likely domino Risner to one of the OT positions.

Long time before the first game to resolve this but there are still options and months to work it out. Loving the potential though. With the WR threats occupying the defenses attention the rushing game could surprise a lot of people. Which in turn opens up the passing game.

Keeping the defenses off balance would be great to see for the first time in a few years. Have to wonder how bitter Scangarelo is feeling about now? Seeing the playmakers added and the emergence of the FO support for Lock. Thinking “ if only....”

Can’t wait to see the defenses reacting instead of dictating to the Broncos offense. That and Lock’s accurate and strong arm finding deep WRs and TEs for big plays.
            Last edited by FR Tim; 04-29-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I agree that ignoring OT wasn't the best way to put it...They made it a very low priority this year and took 4 inside guys without addressing OT.

The point of my OP isn't whether this is right or wrong, it's that it's what we did and why. There's a shift in the NFL as Os get rid of the ball faster and I believe the Broncos are all in this trend. In the 60-70s guards were the priority. Then with rule changes the OTs became the priority. Now I think we're seeing a trend back to OGS to protect against inside pass rushes.

There isn't a lot of evidence, but it also seems we're putting more priority on interior pass rushers too. We drafted Ray when we had Von and Ware but now are drafting DTs that can rush as backups.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                The interior O-Line has been strengthened with Glasgow and Cushenberry joining "Route 66" Risner. If Denver's medical, training and strength/conditioning staffs can help Muti get 100% healthy and on the field consistently, the interior O-Line will be a strength. There is depth with Wilkinson, Schlottmann and Morris. This will keep the pocket from collapsing and give Buzz time and a view of the field when he is passing.

Addressing the T position is still a work in progress. None of the top four fell to Denver in the first round because the run on Tackles began before the run on WRs. Six Tackles were drafted in the first round. Denver apparently didn't like those remaining at #46 enough to take one instead of the players they chose in the 2nd & 3rd. There is a credible rumor that Elway will try to sign a veteran UFA T. That would be good at this point, and there might be just enough cap space to make it happen.

There should be a good group of Tackles available in next year's Draft. Elway might need to trade up in order to get a good one. Maybe Denver will have some compensatory picks they could use to help that effort. In the meantime, we hope Munchak can help Bolles to improve, and that James can figure out a way to stay out of the training room because T depth is practically non-existent at the moment.

Like all good DCs, Vic Fangio spends much of his time studying offenses. As a HC, he studied his own offense and decisively relieved Rich Scangarello of his duties after the 2019 season. Getting Pat Shurmur and Mike Shula to join his offensive staff was a good move IMO.

The draft reinforced the direction in which Vic Fangio wants the offense to go. He wants it to be aggressive and to score more points. The effort to field an offense bristling with playmakers has been made. We shall see how that materializes.
                A lot of D orientated coaches seem to be conservative on O which I have never understood. I would think they would want to do the things that gave them the most trouble on D. This is what I believe Fangio really wants. He wants an offense that would give him worries as a D coordinator and stresses the D.

I also think the head coach has more influence in picks than most people think and Elway listens to them a lot more than he's given credit (or blame).

I really like Fangio as a coach and think he really "gets it".

Comment

Working...
                X