Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Bronco thoughts, memories, plays and players...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Denver Broncos win the first AFL game defeating the Patriots in Boston.

Frank Tripucka and Lionel Taylor produce passing stats to which we are now accustomed in a fourteen game season.

First time an AFL team beat an NFL team. Happened at DU's Hilltop Stadium. Hope Alex Karras had a nice walk back to Detroit.

Art Modell just couldn't see the Denver Broncos playing in Cleveland's Stadium. Al Davis and Lamar Hunt disagreed.

Lou Saban's "half a loaf" runs afoul of the South Stand.

Every week Floyd Little was either questionable or doubtful, but there he was on Sunday running the ball, catching passes and returning kicks while playing with a whole bunch of different QBs.

Charley Johnson and the first winning season,

Joe Collier revamps the Oklahoma 50 into the 3-4 odd front D.

Red Miller and the first Super Bowl.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Elway could have been a Cowboy and Danny White could have been a Colt, if Gil Brandt had known better than to deal with Frank Kush. If he had talked to Bob Irsay or someone else in the Colts’ front office, the Broncos would have missed their chance.
      Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
      No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
      Still Not Backing Down!!!

Comment

Scoring 50+ points, 2 weeks in a row, against the Eagles and the Cowboys in 2013 was a great memory for me.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          Elway could have been a Cowboy and Danny White could have been a Colt, if Gil Brandt had known better than to deal with Frank Kush. If he had talked to Bob Irsay or someone else in the Colts’ front office, the Broncos would have missed their chance.
          Saw a show about the trade. From what the show presented the GM did not want to trade Elway but the owner was afraid the pick would go to waste as Elway was did not want to play for their coach and was threatening to go play for the NY Yankees. The owner made a trade happen from his office while the GM was getting better trade offers and turning them down is how I understand it.

There is also a report that last minute Elway called and told the GM he would play for them as he just wanted to play football but apparently the owner made the deal anyway.

Maybe we should send thank you gifts to the Colts as they are responsible for letting go of all of our SB Winning Qbs (and 7 of our 8 SB appearance QBs)....one through trade and one through free agency.
          Last edited by Hadez; 09-12-2020, 06:42 AM.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            Saw a show about the trade. From what the show presented the GM did not want to trade Elway but the owner was afraid the pick would go to waste as Elway was did not want to play for their coach and was threatening to go play for the NY Yankees. The owner made a trade happen from his office while the GM was getting better trade offers and turning them down is how I understand it.

There is also a report that last minute Elway called and told the GM he would play for them as he just wanted to play football but apparently the owner made the deal anyway.

Maybe we should send thank you gifts to the Colts as they are responsible for letting go of all of our SB Winning Qbs (and 7 of our 8 SB appearance QBs)....one through trade and one through free agency.
            There will be a biography about Elway coming out soon. It will talk about the trade. Bill Walsh was sniffing around that deal as well.
            Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
            No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
            Still Not Backing Down!!!

Comment

The 30 for 30 on the 1983 Draft is excellent. The Raiders were very interested in Elway, but couldn't get the picks needed because Chicago backed out of a trade. Also of note Al Davis when talking to Elway's agent said he liked Elway but wasn't sure he had enough arm strength for the NFL. The agent told Davis to never mention that comment to anyone else.

Comment

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

I think Darrent Williams had the potential to be one of Denver's all time greats!! RIP....

also.....

I could watch that clip of Cam pouting all day LOL
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember when it was happening, I don't ever remember hearing that at the time and I very much doubt it.I know people in Colt's FO have been so called quoted as saying he said this, but i doubt it cause no one in John's camp ever did. I think Elway would not have played for the Colts no matter what. He had options, he did not have to play that year and he and his father were dead set on not playing for Coach Kush. Kush had a not so great name amoung players then. In fact after being drafted Jack said John would never play for coach Kush. He, in fact, planned on playing for the yankees instead and did. The Colts only held his rights for 1 yr if he didn't sign. So he very easily could've entered the NFL the folloiwng year and been somewhere else and the Colt's knew it. I don't think there was any way Elway was playing for the Colt's period. I think one way or the other he would've ended up in football, just not for Irsay/Kush.

He made the right choice too.

From what I remember too, the GM was recieving better offers and working on trade deals when Denver went directly to the owner Irsay and worked out a deal. The GM Accorsi resigned later sighting that as the reason. He also made a good choice.
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

2005.....the entire season was just mile high magic

Comment

I will forever be linked to Vinston Painter through a mutual female friend

Comment

Best block ever by WR imo
                          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I think the play where Eddie Mac broke his leg is the real greatest NFL catch of all time. He reached out with one hand on a low ball then rolled over with his shin flopping around in a way it shouldn't. To have the concentration while having all that pain is amazing to me.

Comment

The whole 1977 "Miracle" season will always be my favorite and yes that includes the two seasons that they finally won the Super Bowl. I was a 16 year old fan in Allentown, PA., had started watching the team in 1973 and this season was just unreal, they were knocking off all the big teams at that time and pounding the Raiders in Oakland 30-7 was just incredible ! Even though they lost to Dallas it couldn't tarnish the great accomplishments that they made under Red Miller.

Rich "Tombstone" Jackson, what a monster! Too bad that he didn't play a few years later, can you just imagine if he was on that 1977 Orange Crush defense? They were great, but just imagine having him on it too, think about that for awhile......

Jack Dolbin, Paul Howard, Claudie Minor, Joe Rizzo, Bernard Jackson, John Schultz, all players not many acknowledge a lot but all contributed to that team and that success.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                                I think the play where Eddie Mac broke his leg is the real greatest NFL catch of all time. He reached out with one hand on a low ball then rolled over with his shin flopping around in a way it shouldn't. To have the concentration while having all that pain is amazing to me.
                                I remember that and then yelling at the TV as the announcers didn't catch the broken leg part. then when the replays it over and over to see why he was down and finally saw it the reaction was priceless.

and he did hold the ball the whole time.

EM
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X