Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Elway: I want To share my thoughts on this important conversation

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
    Then business owners and people who go to the beach shouldn't be arrested for violating Social Distancing rules.
    Or people who attend church.

    Thankfully, I can speak to my God via zoom.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
      As a minority, I can assure you that change starts along the spectrum, not just at the top.
      I agree with you. We live in a country with many different backgrounds, including races, cultures, religions, beliefs, and nationalities. After that some are rich, middle class, poor, along with different gender identities, age, politics, sexual orientation, and the list goes on.
      All of those groups have different concerns and things that effect their world. A leader who can successfully serve all those groups has their work cut out for them.

      What I am saying is a lot easier to say, than do.
      To find leaders that represent all the people in this country and to be fair about it the way a good parent views their children is required.

      When a leader ends their term and increased their net worth 30 times when they began their term is a problem.
      I see that across the board in our country.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
        Or people who attend church.

        Thankfully, I can speak to my God via zoom.
        I’m actually getting use to worship on Zoom now
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
          Based on actual hard statistical evidence blacks are much more likely to commit crimes, yet you think it is horrific that it influences how that population group is policed, yet you justify the exact same provocation based on the vehichle that a person drives. It is quite a double standard!

          If there is an actual problem - many research papers show the opposite - then it has to be broken down to components and specifics that people/systems can act on, instead of arguing peoples feelings of wrong doing.

          It is great that Elway and others are focusing on racism/violence but it has to be based in fact!
          Not sure what some of this even means, but even if you are correct about your stats, you still have to treat people fairly. Almost every day I read articles from great people, who just happen to be black, and pretty much every one has some form of discriminatory experience. That's not right! I say to anyone who can not understand, imagine how you would feel.

          Comment


          • #95
            As an aside...


            The great Aretha Franklin was way ahead of her time...…"Who's Zoomin Who?"

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              It’s a terrible and inexcusable incident, but to say executed is to assign motive, in my humble opinion Sam. What I see is manslaughter, or negligent homicide.
              Officer Chauvin has been charged with second degree murder, if I'm not mistaken. I believe the other three officers present have been charged as accessories.

              Bystanders pleaded with Chauvin to release his knee choking Floyd, but he persisted for almost nine minutes. Seems willful. Nine minutes is a long time.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
                Then business owners and people who go to the beach shouldn't be arrested for violating Social Distancing rules.
                Well I can’t speak for everywhere but I just went to the beach in Alabama two weeks ago and can assure you no one there was being arrested for it.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                  Based on actual hard statistical evidence blacks are much more likely to commit crimes, yet you think it is horrific that it influences how that population group is policed, yet you justify the exact same provocation based on the vehichle that a person drives. It is quite a double standard!

                  If there is an actual problem - many research papers show the opposite - then it has to be broken down to components and specifics that people/systems can act on, instead of arguing peoples feelings of wrong doing.

                  It is great that Elway and others are focusing on racism/violence but it has to be based in fact!
                  I lived in low income apartments, and trailer parks when i was a kid, my dad was in and out of jail and i saw my dad and uncle pulled over constantly, arrested, beaten unconscious by the police in front of me ( both white like me)
                  My dad told me never go to jail, because once you don’t fear being locked up you won’t fear anything.

                  Growing up in poor neighborhoods, I don’t believe anyone’s race makes them break the law, from my life experience it is a lack of hope. If your treated like a criminal by the police just because of how you look, and those you look up to don’t obey the law their is a good chance you will go down the same path.
                  Drug and alcohol abuse don’t help either even though they provide a short escape.

                  Those in power throw money at these communities but they need more than money they need people that have made it out, better home life’s, and a belief system ( doesn’t have to be religion). Until that happens things won’t change.

                  I will die for my family like most of you, not as easy to die for somebody I don’t know. Imagine being a police officer.
                  Police have one of the hardest jobs in our country, if they don’t know the people in their community’s how can they serve and protect them?
                  Police should have to know all the business owners in their communities, they should be present at all the schools getting to know the children, and they should live in the community they serve.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    Officer Chauvin has been charged with second degree murder, if I'm not mistaken. I believe the other three officers present have been charged as accessories.

                    Bystanders pleaded with Chauvin to release his knee choking Floyd, but he persisted for almost nine minutes. Seems willful. Nine minutes is a long time.
                    Mr. Floyd allowed the officers to handcuff him because of the power the law gives them. That law was abused so bad he died unable to defend himself against those who are suppose to serve and protect him. Punishment for police who abuse their power should be severe.
                    Last edited by 58Miller; 06-07-2020, 06:39 PM.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                      I lived in low income apartments, and trailer parks when i was a kid, my dad was in and out of jail and i saw my dad and uncle pulled over constantly, arrested, beaten unconscious by the police in front of me ( both white like me)
                      My dad told me never go to jail, because once you don’t fear being locked up you won’t fear anything.

                      Growing up in poor neighborhoods, I don’t believe anyone’s race makes them break the law, from my life experience it is a lack of hope. If your treated like a criminal by the police just because of how you look, and those you look up to don’t obey the law their is a good chance you will go down the same path.
                      Drug and alcohol abuse don’t help either even though they provide a short escape.

                      Those in power throw money at these communities but they need more than money they need people that have made it out, better home life’s, and a belief system ( doesn’t have to be religion). Until that happens things won’t change.

                      I will die for my family like most of you, not as easy to die for somebody I don’t know. Imagine being a police officer.
                      Police have one of the hardest jobs in our country, if they don’t know the people in their community’s how can they serve and protect them?
                      Police should have to know all the business owners in their communities, they should be present at all the schools getting to know the children, and they should live in the community they serve.
                      FWIW, I appreciate you sharing your story and the part in bold.
                      I worked in corrections, and jail is rough for both parties.
                      Jail can turn average men cold and rough men colder.

                      Privilege is a relative term, and its meaning is lost on many.
                      People born in the USA automatically have more privilege compared to most.
                      Smart Americans figure it out and do better than their parent(s).

                      My immigrant Kenyan brother-in-law (early forties) is thriving in SoCal because he values education and family.

                      Keep on zoomin' 58!

                      Comment


                      • Really proud of Elway, Lock, Simmons, Risner and all supporting equality the right way.

                        My guess is this teams locker room is going to be stronger than any I can remember this year.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                          Really proud of Elway, Lock, Simmons, Risner and all supporting equality the right way.

                          My guess is this teams locker room is going to be stronger than any I can remember this year.
                          It was a good turnout yesterday. Unity was in evidence at all levels of the organization.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                            Really proud of Elway, Lock, Simmons, Risner and all supporting equality the right way.

                            My guess is this teams locker room is going to be stronger than any I can remember this year.

                            This is what I like to read! I didn’t know all of them have taken steps...

                            to them
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • That's awesome , a tight unified locker room is a key to success. These guys are bout to go to battle together. Man I'm ready for some Bronco football !

                              Comment


                              • To the Canadian faction here, are there current protests and riots in Canada?
                                If so, just curious, did anyone bring up PM Trudeau's blackface incidents?

                                In my limited news watching, I saw protests/riots in Mexico and France but nowhere else.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X