X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Number one, ...players have an opt out option. If they feel playing is a "risk" to their lives they don't have to play.

And two,... I am so sick and tired of the asymptomatic argument. I keep getting told "I could be spreading it without knowing it"...yeah? Then how come NOBODY around me is getting sick?? Maybe everyone around me are asymptomatic too?? Maybe everyone around them are asymptomatic??

Look, I know there is a virus attacking us but it is NOT a death sentence!! If you are obese, a smoker, born without immunities.. whatever it may be, there are dangers around every corner for you. Over 90% of hospitalized covid patients are people who had/have pre existing conditions.https://people-com.cdn.ampproject.or...-conditions%2F ...

Life can go on with this fight (with or without a vaccine) and MOST people will be just fine. There are unknowns as far as long term affects but the fact is this isn't going away. It is widely speculated this is going to be an annual event like the flu so just move along and deal with it. Quit acting like it's the plague because it's not
    I mean, 1/3rd of america is obese...We are not a healthy nation. You may not see a lot of people around you sick, but you aren't in a densely populated area there in iowa... Most football cities ARE densely populated and as such are going to have a much higher spread due to proximity. I've got several friends here who are dealing with it. Most are healthy and say it is nothing to mess around with even if they are going to make it out alive...

Leave a comment:

• JvDub95
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
    What about those who have the virus but don't know it because they are asymptomatic, no symptoms. They could be spreading the virus but don't know it because they don't have any symptoms. Yes, no, maybe?

And you said "Most people get over this without having to be admitted in the hospital". What about the ones who are not in the "most" category?
    Too bad too sad! Live goes on meaning the games need to be played because "who knows if a vaccine will ever be made."
    Number one, ...players have an opt out option. If they feel playing is a "risk" to their lives they don't have to play.

And two,... I am so sick and tired of the asymptomatic argument. I keep getting told "I could be spreading it without knowing it"...yeah? Then how come NOBODY around me is getting sick?? Maybe everyone around me are asymptomatic too?? Maybe everyone around them are asymptomatic??

Look, I know there is a virus attacking us but it is NOT a death sentence!! If you are obese, a smoker, born without immunities.. whatever it may be, there are dangers around every corner for you. Over 90% of hospitalized covid patients are people who had/have pre existing conditions.https://people-com.cdn.ampproject.or...-conditions%2F ...

Life can go on with this fight (with or without a vaccine) and MOST people will be just fine. There are unknowns as far as long term affects but the fact is this isn't going away. It is widely speculated this is going to be an annual event like the flu so just move along and deal with it. Quit acting like it's the plague because it's not

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Gloom and Doom!!!!
    So glad this isn’t the group who was around during WW 2 woulda surrendered day 1

Life is about living not hiding!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
    What happens when 2021 looks the same ? Will players sit out again? Most people get over this without having to be admitted in the hospital. You get it , you stay home and quarantine until your over it. From the time you have symptoms your contagious for 10 days .

Theres no guarantee that a working vaccine will ever be made , especiallysince antibodiesonly stay in your system for 3 months. There will also be people who refuse to get it . Players are gonna get it just like everyone else in the world .
    I think we should look at the possibility this virus will be around .
    What about those who have the virus but don't know it because they are asymptomatic, no symptoms. They could be spreading the virus but don't know it because they don't have any symptoms. Yes, no, maybe?

And you said "Most people get over this without having to be admitted in the hospital". What about the ones who are not in the "most" category?
    Too bad too sad! Live goes on meaning the games need to be played because "who knows if a vaccine will ever be made."

Leave a comment:

• orange crush75
    replied
    What happens when 2021 looks the same ? Will players sit out again? Most people get over this without having to be admitted in the hospital. You get it , you stay home and quarantine until your over it. From the time you have symptoms your contagious for 10 days .

Theres no guarantee that a working vaccine will ever be made , especiallysince antibodiesonly stay in your system for 3 months. There will also be people who refuse to get it . Players are gonna get it just like everyone else in the world .
    I think we should look at the possibility this virus will be around .

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    And now the MLB commish, the other league not doing a bubble, has warned the players union that they could be shutting it down again very soon.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    oh you're going that direction. I hate the approach of "it doesnt fix it all so abandon it" mentality. Those short answer is it wont fix it. The only thing that will is players taking this seriously as well as communities doing the same.

In time though we hope to see covid getting better.
    Who said I think the season should be abandoned? I never once have said that. I want it to happen. I just have serious doubts that it will successfully.

And all the ones defending it starting have yet to once answer anyone when asked what does the NFL do when an entire team or multiple teams have to start canceling or forfeiting games for positive tests?

MLB is going to attempt double headers to make up games. Is the NFL going to significantly extend the season or even ask teams to play twice in a week to make up games? I severely doubt the latter. All I’m asking for is what’s the plan when a team inevitably has to shut it down for two weeks? It’s going to happen without a bubble. We’ve already seen one team send all of their rookies home and we haven’t even gotten full throttle for all 32 teams yet.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    But how does that guarantee it won’t happen again later on some other team? That was my point.

It’s Bills rookies this week. What happens when it’s the Buccaneers or Raiders vets in two weeks? You just shut the whole thing down for that team?
    oh you're going that direction. I hate the approach of "it doesnt fix it all so abandon it" mentality. Those short answer is it wont fix it. The only thing that will is players taking this seriously as well as communities doing the same.

In time though we hope to see covid getting better.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    I think the biggest obstacle for the NFL re-starting is the fact it is being played in the States. Not because of the virus numbers but because of the attitudes with a lot of people over there compared to the vast majority of the world. I was speaking to my brother last night who is a big fan of American sports (Dolphins and Lakers) and the chat shows but he agreed that Americans are 'unique' in their approach to sports and its a problem moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    MLB played 9 of 10 games yesterday. One was postponed.

There are learning curves but essentially the pro sports are starting to give us a window into what moving forward looks like. Soccer got to the knock out round. NBA played 2 games yesterday and 6 are scheduled today. NHL has 5 games tomorrow.

Considering what we see on the news every day I get all the people wondering how will it happen....I do not think people are giving enough credit to those who want to keep life moving forward though. Some people do not want to wait at home until some "heroic action" saves the day that may never come or may not work if one is delivered.
    Well some people have been going to work. They do not have to wait for the "sound judgment and wise behavior" because they were told in March if they want to be able to pay bills they need to show up to work.

Some people are lucky enough to be able to choose to stay at home and wait for "sound judgment and wise behavior". Managing risks is not something new to the world in 2020...we been doing it since the dawn on man.

If people want to stay home and wait for "sound judgment and wise behavior" they should be allowed to.

If people want to push on and manage risks while life is lived...allow them to do so.

It has been almost 5 months at a certain point people should be able to make the choice.
    You posted that we are not giving enough credit to those who want to move forward, and I am not sure if that means they are doing it wisely, or they just never bought in to the pandemic. I don't blame anyone for wanting to move forward.

But yeah, sound judgement and wise behaviour resonate with me. I said it again.

Unlike what apparently happened with The Marlins (per a good source) in which it appears that one or more of them went out for some fun instead of staying in their hotel, which has led to significant concerns within MLB. That may be an extreme example for some, but it's still the same thing....taking unnnecessary risks.

Leave a comment:

• JPPT1974
    replied
    More and more players are dropping out like flies it seems

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I have to say....this point confuses me. I think most of us want life to continue through. Many of us are moving about way more than we were a couple of months ago. Things will progress even faster if people are smart. Moving forward for the sake of moving forward is not a plan in these times. It needs to be supported by sound judgement and wise behaviour.
    Well some people have been going to work. They do not have to wait for the "sound judgment and wise behavior" because they were told in March if they want to be able to pay bills they need to show up to work.

Some people are lucky enough to be able to choose to stay at home and wait for "sound judgment and wise behavior". Managing risks is not something new to the world in 2020...we been doing it since the dawn on man.

If people want to stay home and wait for "sound judgment and wise behavior" they should be allowed to.

If people want to push on and manage risks while life is lived...allow them to do so.

It has been almost 5 months at a certain point people should be able to make the choice.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-31-2020, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    MLB played 9 of 10 games yesterday. One was postponed.

There are learning curves but essentially the pro sports are starting to give us a window into what moving forward looks like. Soccer got to the knock out round. NBA played 2 games yesterday and 6 are scheduled today. NHL has 5 games tomorrow.

Considering what we see on the news every day I get all the people wondering how will it happen....I do not think people are giving enough credit to those who want to keep life moving forward though. Some people do not want to wait at home until some "heroic action" saves the day that may never come or may not work if one is delivered.
    I have to say....this point confuses me. I think most of us want life to continue through. Many of us are moving about way more than we were a couple of months ago. Things will progress even faster if people are smart. Moving forward for the sake of moving forward is not a plan in these times. It needs to be supported by sound judgement and wise behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    The nfl has the advantage of playing only once weekly.. giving some space between games,, ( except stupid Thursday night )

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    True but the point remains the same

MLB is still playing

https://www.mlb.com/schedule
    For now they are. You have 2 teams who will have missed 8 to 10 games of their 60 game season in 1 week. Now you have another team with a breakout. Will teams want to play them? 20 percent of the league has had postponed games due to COVID. The league is approving playing 7 inning games so they can squeeze in multiple double headers. Hopefully the NFL is seeing this blunder and are trying to come up with plans for if teams get this during the season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X