Season in jeopardy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of the protocols the players don’t believe are safe enough:

Instructions for behavior while at team facilities, including wearing a MASK, adhering to social distance protocols and not sharing towels, water bottles, food or clothing.

BioReference Laboratories will handle all collection and analysis of tests, which will include nasal swab tests for the virus as well as blood tests for antibodies.

What to do if you have symptoms (isolate, go home and quarantine immediately).

What to do if you have contact with someone who has symptoms of or tests positive for COVID-19.

Contact tracing procedures, including Kinexon proximity recording devices that must be worn by all team personnel while at the facility and will be used to identify in-game close contacts. For example, if a player tests positive, teams can identify every player, coach or other team employee who had close contact with him. The document also defines "close contact" as it pertains to the coronavirus.

Procedures for returning to the facility and for playing after testing positive, including an additional cardiac screening for players who have tested positive for the virus and recovered or who have tested positive for the antibodies.
    sigpic

Comment

• I have friends who work at grocery stores that get exposed to more people in a day then NFL would get exposed to in a week.

Was told from the get go I need to go to work. Lucky for me I get exposed to the same 150 people every day but that was still pretty nerve wrecking in March and April...you know back when we were told NOT to wear masks.

I understand players are scared...I was very nervous about going to work in March. A lot of people have gone through this and went to work. NFL employees are being given far more resources than anyone I know who has been working since March.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
        I have friends who work at grocery stores that get exposed to more people in a day then NFL would get exposed to in a week.

Was told from the get go I need to go to work. Lucky for me I get exposed to the same 150 people every day but that was still pretty nerve wrecking in March and April...you know back when we were told NOT to wear masks.

I understand players are scared...I was very nervous about going to work in March. A lot of people have gone through this and went to work. NFL employees are being given far more resources than anyone I know who has been working since March.
        I wonder if players go shopping? Or they test the people who shop for them. If they feel less safe at a facility where everyone is tested and contact traced, I want to know what they are doing that is safer?
        sigpic

Comment

• One of the big hangups right now, the owners want to play preseason games, the players don't think there should be ANY preseason games this year.

I kinda completely agree with them.
          sigpic

Comment

• I don't blame anyone for being concerned about their health and safety, and that of their families. A number of players have expectant wives, and are clearly concerned as so they should be. Football is easily one of the most non distant sports, and if just one player has the virus, it could spread quickly during a game for example.

If they are not a "hub city" sport, the risks are even greater.

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
              I wonder if players go shopping? Or they test the people who shop for them. If they feel less safe at a facility where everyone is tested and contact traced, I want to know what they are doing that is safer?
              I am sure from first hand accounts from multiple buildings of essential workers that testing and contact tracing is not going on like how our leaders are telling us.

Honestly should not be a surprise to anyone...I work in avionics manufacturing and can tell you nothing happens like how the leaders say it should happen without a lot of audits and constant follow up to ensure people are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Shoot even in a system built to catch non-compliance there can be layers of non-compliance which goes on for months and years. It all depends on how diligent and disciplined the leaders are at continuous improvement.

The government has a habit of telling people to do things and then never checking it is being done.

My point to this thread is NFL employees will be getting more resources to protect them than most essential employees that have been working since March.
              Last edited by Hadez; 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• The players always lose the media battle with the NFL. We see this every CBA, not sure why they’d think they can win the media battle now. This isn’t the NBA, nfl players hold no leverage with the public.

But the NFL can’t stop the season, it’s clear they have no contingency plan in place to not play. No season would ruin the salary cap for multiple seasons which would drastically change the structure of every team and how they pay players and we’ve already seen they aren’t for deferred payments eg Todd Gurley/Clay Matthews. The players would have to accept not getting paid if they want any shot at keeping the current trend of contracts skyrocketing.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  The players always lose the media battle with the NFL. We see this every CBA, not sure why they’d think they can win the media battle now. This isn’t the NBA, nfl players hold no leverage with the public.

But the NFL can’t stop the season, it’s clear they have no contingency plan in place to not play. No season would ruin the salary cap for multiple seasons which would drastically change the structure of every team and how they pay players and we’ve already seen they aren’t for deferred payments eg Todd Gurley/Clay Matthews. The players would have to accept not getting paid if they want any shot at keeping the current trend of contracts skyrocketing.
                  Yep, their are consequences to their choices. If they play they risk getting affected if they don’t they risk the future of the league and still could get affected.

You don’t get to make millions and not play, what is that saying can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Thousands of businesses are being hit hard by the pandemic, the NFL is no different.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    But the NFL can’t stop the season, it’s clear they have no contingency plan in place to not play.
                    If we experience a 2nd nationwide lockdown (which I believe we're getting closer to every day) the league office will have months and months with nothing better to do than work out that contingency plan
                    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• Due to the polarity of viewpoints on the issue, I hesitate to mention metrics and mitigating factors for COVID-19. Data from recent experience in my state shows that relaxing restrictions led to a big jump in infections for the 20-40 age group. In house dining at restaurants. large gatherings inside and outside, lack of distancing and non-mask wearing are what contributed to the surge.

An NFL site like Dove Valley could be safe as long as everyone who sets foot there is negative and follows correct procedures when off-site. My daughter who is a nurse at UNMH gets test results in 24-48 hours. Something like that could be available for NFL.

The problem comes when flying to another city or hosting a team. NFL states of Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, California, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and Washington are currently experiencing upsurges in infections. Arizona, Florida and Texas have increasing numbers of deaths.

One infected individual on a flight can compromise the aircrew and passengers. Transmitting the virus from city to city is a problem for measures designed to contain it. IDK how realistic it is to expect no transmission from player to player during a game in the event that one is positive. Players who test positive can be quarantined on IR with expanded rosters as a contingency. Players may or may not be able to return after testing negative. The Broncos have five coaches in their sixties and about as many in their fifties. That warrants consideration along with other staff.

Whether or not the NFL plays games for however long and under what circumstances is not nearly as big an issue as unemployment and health of the whole population of the US. What to do about schools is also a problem far greater than the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL. The loss of sports is an irritant for many and was recognized long ago. The Romans used to say that food and sports entertainment (i.e., "panem et circenses") was needed to keep the masses occupied.
                      Last edited by samparnell; 07-20-2020, 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• It’s ridiculous to claim the league doesn’t have a contingency plan.

It’s already been reported that they know how late they can start the season and still play 16 games. Presumably they have an idea about a reduced slate of games as well.

The star veteran players are basically screwing over the other players in order to get what they want without regard to what other players need.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Another thing to look at that I haven’t seen mentioned is if there is a season how will the NFL try to offset the loss of ticket sales? Do they raise the prices of merchandise? Do certain marquee matchups become PPV, highly unlikely but a possibility. Do packages like Sunday ticket see an increase in price? Will the prices for the tickets they can sell be inflated? A potential drive in option?

The NFL doesn’t want to cancel the season due to the salary cap ramifications. They likely won’t let teams cut star players as evidenced with this strange IR rule that should’ve forced to the Packers to release Aaron Rodgers a few seasons back. Would they force players to take deferred payments? Or might they institute a one off year with a soft cap/luxury tax like system that the NBA employs? Either way I bet the NFL will look at getting set amounts set for contracts to prevent this from happening. Instead of negotiating over numbers they’ll likely be negotiating percentages off the cap based off of years and accolades accrued.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                            It’s ridiculous to claim the league doesn’t have a contingency plan.

It’s already been reported that they know how late they can start the season and still play 16 games. Presumably they have an idea about a reduced slate of games as well.

The star veteran players are basically screwing over the other players in order to get what they want without regard to what other players need.
                            The contingency plan involves playing games in some fashion whether a full season starting later than normal or a reduced slate of games. I don’t think they have anything set up if they can’t play games. I don’t think they could’ve came up with anything to offset the loss of revenue either. I do think it’s interesting that they don’t seem to have anything set in the CBA for this. I know it’s a rare occurrence but most things have clauses for unforeseen circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              Due to the polarity of viewpoints on the issue, I hesitate to mention metrics and mitigating factors for COVID-19. Data from recent experience in my state shows that relaxing restrictions led to a big jump in infections for the 20-40 age group. In house dining at restaurants. large gatherings inside and outside, lack of distancing and non-mask wearing are what contributed to the surge.

An NFL site like Dove Valley could be safe as long as everyone who sets foot there is negative and follows correct procedures when off-site. My daughter who is a nurse at UNMH gets test results in 24-48 hours. Something like that could be available for NFL.

The problem comes when flying to another city or hosting a team. NFL states of Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, California, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and Washington are currently experiencing upsurges in infections. Arizona, Florida and Texas have increasing numbers of deaths.

One infected individual on a flight can compromise the aircrew and passengers. Transmitting the virus from city to city is a problem for measures designed to contain it. IDK how realistic it is to expect no transmission from player to player during a game in the event that one is positive. Players who test positive can be quarantined on IR with expanded rosters as a contingency. Players may or may not be able to return after testing negative. The Broncos have five coaches in their sixties and about as many in their fifties. That warrants consideration along with other staff.

Whether or not the NFL plays games for however long and under what circumstances is not nearly as big an issue as unemployment and health of the whole population of the US. What to do about schools is also a problem far greater than the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL. The loss of sports is an irritant for many and was recognized long ago. The Romans used to say that food and sports entertainment (i.e., "panem et circenses") was needed to keep the masses occupied.
                              The question is are the players safer at work than on their own?
                              Whether football is essential or not isn’t the issue. Russell Wilson for example has enough money he probably doesn’t need to play. But that’s not he issue the players are questioning their health.
                              Same players who are working out with other players right now.
                              Same players who were peacefully protesting.
                              Same players are questioning the nfl’s protocols which include: masks, contact tracing, and regular testing. How is that less safe than what any players day to day is now? If it is than they should definitely not play but if it’s fine for grocery store workers who don’t have the same protocols. It’s easy you think football isn’t safe find a new job that is.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                                The question is are the players safer at work than on their own?
                                Whether football is essential or not isn’t the issue. Russell Wilson for example has enough money he probably doesn’t need to play. But that’s not he issue the players are questioning their health.
                                Same players who are working out with other players right now.
                                Same players who were peacefully protesting.
                                Same players are questioning the nfl’s protocols which include: masks, contact tracing, and regular testing. How is that less safe than what any players day to day is now? If it is than they should definitely not play but if it’s fine for grocery store workers who don’t have the same protocols. It’s easy you think football isn’t safe find a new job that is.
                                Right now there are almost three thousand players on NFL teams. They aren't all practicing the same measures concerning COVID-19. Even when they report, they won't be practicing the same measures off-site.

Everyone in this country is doing what they think they need to do in order to deal with the situation. There is a war going on for control of information. It is polarized. Each side accuses the other of spin. If it turns out that one or the other was guilty of it, it will be unforgivable. Leaders at the city, county, state and national levels are responsible for doing the best job they can based on the most reliable information they can acquire. Anything less is unacceptable.

I'm sorry you are so stirred up by this issue. Are there other factors besides your impatience with pro football players? I'm sure there are because this situation is affecting everyone to a greater or lesser degree.

It would be nice to watch some real time football. The players make it happen and they have a union with a CBA. It is an issue between the owners and the players. The players are dealing with an almost infinitely greater health risk than the owners. If there is football, fine. If it is delayed, fine. If it gets cut short, it will have been predictable. High School football in NM has been delayed until February. We'll see if that happens.

There are many ways this could play out. I think it would be a good idea for everyone to calm down as much as possible and just observe that over which we have no control.
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                                X