Season in jeopardy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Right now there are almost three thousand players on NFL teams. They aren't all practicing the same measures concerning COVID-19. Even when they report, they won't be practicing the same measures off-site.

Everyone in this country is doing what they think they need to do in order to deal with the situation. There is a war going on for control of information. It is polarized. Each side accuses the other of spin. If it turns out that one or the other was guilty of it, it will be unforgivable. Leaders at the city, county, state and national levels are responsible for doing the best job they can based on the most reliable information they can acquire. Anything less is unacceptable.

I'm sorry you are so stirred up by this issue. Are there other factors besides your impatience with pro football players? I'm sure there are because this situation is affecting everyone to a greater or lesser degree.

It would be nice to watch some real time football. The players make it happen and they have a union with a CBA. It is an issue between the owners and the players. The players are dealing with an almost infinitely greater health risk than the owners. If there is football, fine. If it is delayed, fine. If it gets cut short, it will have been predictable. High School football in NM has been delayed until February. We'll see if that happens.

There are many ways this could play out. I think it would be a good idea for everyone to calm down as much as possible and just observe that over which we have no control.
    Calm breeds calm!

I’m not stirred up at all Sam, I only expect the players to do what i have done every day since this pandemic has happens and weigh the risk knowing they are safe. Its a very simple issue with her you can afford not to work or you can’t. If players don’t play football because it’s not safe how will the ones who need a check pay their bills, they will have to do something less safe.
    The NFL should try and make it work.
    I believe if you really looks at the numbers the NFL will be fine if they play. Golf, nascar, ufc, German and English soccer, have all showed it can be done safely. If you believe the Covid isnt dangerous and deadly to mainly people of advance age and underlying conditions then I could understand an argument to not play season. Even older coaches can be kept in the booth and coach remotely. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Only thing the NFL will Lowe is money and popularity.
    sigpic

Comment

• Who believes it’s too dangerous to have the season?
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        Who believes it’s too dangerous to have the season?
        Me. I’m listening to Mark Davis (Raiders owner) saying he envisions no fans and wonders if it’s even safe to have a season. That is an owner saying that. I know it’s all about money so there will be an attempt to play. But it won’t look like what we are used to. Some people don’t care and will take any kind of football. I am not that interested in watching a shortened season or some type of watered down product. I just don’t see a scenario where no team has to deal with positive tests all season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
          Me. I’m listening to Mark Davis (Raiders owner) saying he envisions no fans and wonders if it’s even safe to have a season. That is an owner saying that. I know it’s all about money so there will be an attempt to play. But it won’t look like what we are used to. Some people don’t care and will take any kind of football. I am not that interested in watching a shortened season or some type of watered down product. I just don’t see a scenario where no team has to deal with positive tests all season.
          If they have the season with the testing. Contact tracing etc. what will be the outcome in your opinion?
          sigpic

Comment

If they have the season with the testing. Contact tracing etc. what will be the outcome in your opinion?
            Good question. I would think it would help limit positive tests, but not eliminate them.

Comment

Good question. I would think it would help limit positive tests, but not eliminate them.
              How can we eliminate cases anywhere? Players right now are practicing together.
              sigpic

Comment

I doubt the season happens...
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  I doubt the season happens...
                  Because it’s too dangerous?
                  sigpic

Comment

I think maybe just postpone the start of the season to November 4th, and we should be fine.

Sarcasm meter detecting an increase...just messing...everyone needs to stay safe and healthy. Hopefully, an NFL season can be safely performed. :thumb:
                    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

How can we eliminate cases anywhere? Players right now are practicing together.
                      I don’t think you can eliminate it all together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                        I think maybe just postpone the start of the season to November 4th, and we should be fine.

Sarcasm meter detecting an increase...just messing...everyone needs to stay safe and healthy. Hopefully, an NFL season can be safely performed. :thumb:
                        If it’s not safe I just want to understand better what the risks are.
                        The nfl has had countless injuries over the years, concussions have effected many players after their careers, guys like Ryan Shazier nearly paralyzed.
                        If safety is what everyone wants it is definitely safer to not have a season, weird that nobody didn’t want a season despite the injuries all these years. Last year we lost a handful of players due to the flu for a week or two, the flu has always been a potentially dangerous sickness that can lead to death. Some reports had close to 80 thousand deaths in 2017-18 flu season.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don’t think you can eliminate it all together.
                          Neither do I, and since that is the case if players, coaches, and the owners are willing to risk it to put on a season why not try it? If it’s safe to go to target, or a McDonald’s drive thru the NFL plan sounds pretty safe and more essential than chicken nuggets.
                          sigpic

Comment

If the owners want the season to start and have a chance to finish, they should have sixty man rosters and twenty man practice squads. When most teams have thirty guys on Covid IR, they would probably suspend the season.

Not everyone suffers the same from COVID-19 and there are different levels of recovery. It seems likely that anyone who needed to be on a ventilator will have chronic lifelong health problems related to Covid.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Because it’s too dangerous?
                              Well yea, I mean I think I've been clear I'm taking it pretty seriously...

I don't see any logistical way for them to put on a good season. It's going to take one team coming down with it to throw a wrench in the entire thing then we're watching important games with playoff implications and practice squad players starting.
                              sigpic

Comment

I do for many reasons...here's a couple:

Von Miller. His experience with covid disproves the argument I hear in many places that pro athletes are too healthy, too young and too strong to get the virus. If Von can get it, anyone can.

"… I try to keep my body in tip-top shape. I try to be Superman. I try to make things happen. I try to stay up on my health. I know if I can get it, then I know that anybody can get it. I want people to really take it seriously." - VM

In response to a question about how his teammates and friends around the league are dealing with the virus threat...VM had this to say:

"They don’t even think it’s real. That’s the craziest part. I told them to take it serious. Take all of this serious. Take social distancing serious. I was going to Chipotle earlier, and I saw two people walk out in masks. They took off the masks before they had even got out the store; I was like, “Hey!” They was all excited, but I was like: “I had the coronavirus; I saw y’all take your masks off early. Y’all should wear y’all masks all the way to the car.” Their smiles kind of changed."

Second is the fact that while the mortality rate is low, the odds of permanent damage to lungs, heart, liver, etc are much higher. It's one thing to catch a serious illness and be out of action or hospitalized for a couple weeks knowing you'll come out and be able to work your way back to full health. It's quite another to risk permanent damage that could shave 5, 10, maybe 20 years off your life. I have the utmost respect for first responders, medical professionals and all others who have no choice but to be on the front line exposed to dozens or maybe even hundreds of people each day, but for anyone that has the option, It's just not worth the risk...
                                "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                                PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                                LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Working...
                                X