X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco51
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I guess the thing that I’m trying to get my head around is all these players are practicing on their own right now, risking infection and now all the sudden it’s too dangerous to do the same thing but with regular testing, contact tracing, social distancing and masks in indoor settings.
    I’m all for supporting the players if they wanna play, if they don’t want to play why are they risking them and their families to practice right now?
    So, my brother in law played for the Broncos and had to retire due to injury. I asked him what his thoughts are on this whole restart thing. In a nutshell, he would have been comfortable playing in his early career. But later, when there’s a wife and kids involved, there’s more hesitation. Not because he doesn’t trust himself, but can he trust other young millionaires to follow strict protocols. Most will follow those rules, but there’s always a few who won’t.

It looks the owners and union are going to make a deal on testing, which will probably get them over the hump to a season.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    A Qb an Olineman can get injured in a game anyway not just get sick.
    Last year Lock, Risner, and McGovern all got the flu.
    Not playing the nfl season because of the risk of players missing a week or two has always been part of the game. Whatever happens you adjust as you go. The German Soccer league has great success with its teams. It’s worth it if enough of the players are willing to play. If not I guess we just won’t have football.
    Injuries have been part of the game, a pandemic has not. It’s unlikely, but not impossible that the scenario where all of your QB’s can get infected from being around each other in the film room. Then what? Use the emergency QB and grab a few rejects from the trash bin. Not very entertaining to watch.

The German soccer league may have been successful, but the MLS had two entire teams have to withdraw because a majority of the players and coaches got COVID. I want football like everyone else, I just don’t want to settle for mediocre football

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    If, since, when, unless, etc. are subordinating conjunctions introducing a clause with a verb in the subjunctive mood.
    Please forgive my grammar..

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    I guess the thing that I’m trying to get my head around is all these players are practicing on their own right now, risking infection and now all the sudden it’s too dangerous to do the same thing but with regular testing, contact tracing, social distancing and masks in indoor settings.
    I’m all for supporting the players if they wanna play, if they don’t want to play why are they risking them and their families to practice right now?

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If three of the five you mentioned were from the QB room because they study film together, that could be a problem. Or all five of your O-Line. Missing top players for a few weeks because of COVID could really damage your team and their chances....and that doesn’t add in the injuries that inevitably happen to every team.
    A Qb an Olineman can get injured in a game anyway not just get sick.
    Last year Lock, Risner, and McGovern all got the flu.
    Not playing the nfl season because of the risk of players missing a week or two has always been part of the game. Whatever happens you adjust as you go. The German Soccer league has great success with its teams. It’s worth it if enough of the players are willing to play. If not I guess we just won’t have football.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    What makes you think their will be 30 guys on Covid IR? Is their a study that shows half of the people who come in contact with someone with Covid get it?
    47 million have been tested 4.3 million have had it!
    That would be more like 5 players on a roster getting it and returning in two to three weeks.
    Those numbers are different if you take away all the nursing homes where patients with the virus were sent into a home with it and no it quarantined.
    If three of the five you mentioned were from the QB room because they study film together, that could be a problem. Or all five of your O-Line. Missing top players for a few weeks because of COVID could really damage your team and their chances....and that doesn’t add in the injuries that inevitably happen to every team.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    What makes you think their will be 30 guys on Covid IR? Is their a study that shows half of the people who come in contact with someone with Covid get it?
    That would be more like 5 players on a roster getting it and returning in two to three weeks.
    Those numbers are different if you take away all the nursing homes where patients with the virus were sent into a home with it and no it quarantined.
    If, since, when, unless, etc. are subordinating conjunctions introducing a clause with a verb in the subjunctive mood.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    If the owners want the season to start and have a chance to finish, they should have sixty man rosters and twenty man practice squads. When most teams have thirty guys on Covid IR, they would probably suspend the season.

Not everyone suffers the same from COVID-19 and there are different levels of recovery. It seems likely that anyone who needed to be on a ventilator will have chronic lifelong health problems related to Covid.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis.1960
    replied
    Who believes it’s too dangerous to have the season?
    I do for many reasons...here's a couple:

Von Miller. His experience with covid disproves the argument I hear in many places that pro athletes are too healthy, too young and too strong to get the virus. If Von can get it, anyone can.

"… I try to keep my body in tip-top shape. I try to be Superman. I try to make things happen. I try to stay up on my health. I know if I can get it, then I know that anybody can get it. I want people to really take it seriously." - VM

In response to a question about how his teammates and friends around the league are dealing with the virus threat...VM had this to say:

"They don’t even think it’s real. That’s the craziest part. I told them to take it serious. Take all of this serious. Take social distancing serious. I was going to Chipotle earlier, and I saw two people walk out in masks. They took off the masks before they had even got out the store; I was like, “Hey!” They was all excited, but I was like: “I had the coronavirus; I saw y’all take your masks off early. Y’all should wear y’all masks all the way to the car.” Their smiles kind of changed."

Second is the fact that while the mortality rate is low, the odds of permanent damage to lungs, heart, liver, etc are much higher. It's one thing to catch a serious illness and be out of action or hospitalized for a couple weeks knowing you'll come out and be able to work your way back to full health. It's quite another to risk permanent damage that could shave 5, 10, maybe 20 years off your life. I have the utmost respect for first responders, medical professionals and all others who have no choice but to be on the front line exposed to dozens or maybe even hundreds of people each day, but for anyone that has the option, It's just not worth the risk...

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Because it’s too dangerous?
    Well yea, I mean I think I've been clear I'm taking it pretty seriously...

I don't see any logistical way for them to put on a good season. It's going to take one team coming down with it to throw a wrench in the entire thing then we're watching important games with playoff implications and practice squad players starting.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    If they have the season with the testing. Contact tracing etc. what will be the outcome in your opinion?
    If the owners want the season to start and have a chance to finish, they should have sixty man rosters and twenty man practice squads. When most teams have thirty guys on Covid IR, they would probably suspend the season.

Not everyone suffers the same from COVID-19 and there are different levels of recovery. It seems likely that anyone who needed to be on a ventilator will have chronic lifelong health problems related to Covid.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I don’t think you can eliminate it all together.
    Neither do I, and since that is the case if players, coaches, and the owners are willing to risk it to put on a season why not try it? If it’s safe to go to target, or a McDonald’s drive thru the NFL plan sounds pretty safe and more essential than chicken nuggets.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    I think maybe just postpone the start of the season to November 4th, and we should be fine.

Sarcasm meter detecting an increase...just messing...everyone needs to stay safe and healthy. Hopefully, an NFL season can be safely performed. :thumb:
    If it’s not safe I just want to understand better what the risks are.
    The nfl has had countless injuries over the years, concussions have effected many players after their careers, guys like Ryan Shazier nearly paralyzed.
    If safety is what everyone wants it is definitely safer to not have a season, weird that nobody didn’t want a season despite the injuries all these years. Last year we lost a handful of players due to the flu for a week or two, the flu has always been a potentially dangerous sickness that can lead to death. Some reports had close to 80 thousand deaths in 2017-18 flu season.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    How can we eliminate cases anywhere? Players right now are practicing together.
    I don’t think you can eliminate it all together.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Who believes it’s too dangerous to have the season?
    I think maybe just postpone the start of the season to November 4th, and we should be fine.

Sarcasm meter detecting an increase...just messing...everyone needs to stay safe and healthy. Hopefully, an NFL season can be safely performed. :thumb:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X