X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The players always lose the media battle with the NFL. We see this every CBA, not sure why they’d think they can win the media battle now. This isn’t the NBA, nfl players hold no leverage with the public.

But the NFL can’t stop the season, it’s clear they have no contingency plan in place to not play. No season would ruin the salary cap for multiple seasons which would drastically change the structure of every team and how they pay players and we’ve already seen they aren’t for deferred payments eg Todd Gurley/Clay Matthews. The players would have to accept not getting paid if they want any shot at keeping the current trend of contracts skyrocketing.
    Yep, their are consequences to their choices. If they play they risk getting affected if they don’t they risk the future of the league and still could get affected.

You don’t get to make millions and not play, what is that saying can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Thousands of businesses are being hit hard by the pandemic, the NFL is no different.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    The players always lose the media battle with the NFL. We see this every CBA, not sure why they’d think they can win the media battle now. This isn’t the NBA, nfl players hold no leverage with the public.

But the NFL can’t stop the season, it’s clear they have no contingency plan in place to not play. No season would ruin the salary cap for multiple seasons which would drastically change the structure of every team and how they pay players and we’ve already seen they aren’t for deferred payments eg Todd Gurley/Clay Matthews. The players would have to accept not getting paid if they want any shot at keeping the current trend of contracts skyrocketing.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I wonder if players go shopping? Or they test the people who shop for them. If they feel less safe at a facility where everyone is tested and contact traced, I want to know what they are doing that is safer?
    I am sure from first hand accounts from multiple buildings of essential workers that testing and contact tracing is not going on like how our leaders are telling us.

Honestly should not be a surprise to anyone...I work in avionics manufacturing and can tell you nothing happens like how the leaders say it should happen without a lot of audits and constant follow up to ensure people are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Shoot even in a system built to catch non-compliance there can be layers of non-compliance which goes on for months and years. It all depends on how diligent and disciplined the leaders are at continuous improvement.

The government has a habit of telling people to do things and then never checking it is being done.

My point to this thread is NFL employees will be getting more resources to protect them than most essential employees that have been working since March.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I don't blame anyone for being concerned about their health and safety, and that of their families. A number of players have expectant wives, and are clearly concerned as so they should be. Football is easily one of the most non distant sports, and if just one player has the virus, it could spread quickly during a game for example.

If they are not a "hub city" sport, the risks are even greater.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    One of the big hangups right now, the owners want to play preseason games, the players don't think there should be ANY preseason games this year.

I kinda completely agree with them.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    I have friends who work at grocery stores that get exposed to more people in a day then NFL would get exposed to in a week.

Was told from the get go I need to go to work. Lucky for me I get exposed to the same 150 people every day but that was still pretty nerve wrecking in March and April...you know back when we were told NOT to wear masks.

I understand players are scared...I was very nervous about going to work in March. A lot of people have gone through this and went to work. NFL employees are being given far more resources than anyone I know who has been working since March.
    I wonder if players go shopping? Or they test the people who shop for them. If they feel less safe at a facility where everyone is tested and contact traced, I want to know what they are doing that is safer?

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I have friends who work at grocery stores that get exposed to more people in a day then NFL would get exposed to in a week.

Was told from the get go I need to go to work. Lucky for me I get exposed to the same 150 people every day but that was still pretty nerve wrecking in March and April...you know back when we were told NOT to wear masks.

I understand players are scared...I was very nervous about going to work in March. A lot of people have gone through this and went to work. NFL employees are being given far more resources than anyone I know who has been working since March.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Some of the protocols the players don’t believe are safe enough:

Instructions for behavior while at team facilities, including wearing a MASK, adhering to social distance protocols and not sharing towels, water bottles, food or clothing.

BioReference Laboratories will handle all collection and analysis of tests, which will include nasal swab tests for the virus as well as blood tests for antibodies.

What to do if you have symptoms (isolate, go home and quarantine immediately).

What to do if you have contact with someone who has symptoms of or tests positive for COVID-19.

Contact tracing procedures, including Kinexon proximity recording devices that must be worn by all team personnel while at the facility and will be used to identify in-game close contacts. For example, if a player tests positive, teams can identify every player, coach or other team employee who had close contact with him. The document also defines "close contact" as it pertains to the coronavirus.

Procedures for returning to the facility and for playing after testing positive, including an additional cardiac screening for players who have tested positive for the virus and recovered or who have tested positive for the antibodies.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    And I really love the we want to play hashtag...

Well then figure something out..and play... or don’t..

Don’t make this a media thing..
    Lol!!!! That’s the new trend, have a movement and call it something that it’s not.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Oh it for sure is. And the same people refusing to wear masks are going to be the same ones yelling and calling the players selfish for choosing to not play for their own safety.

If they have real concerns that playing football makes them and their families less safe they shouldn’t play, or get paid.

Hospital, grocery store workers for example probably fear for their families and they have 100 times greater chance of getting the virus. It is a choice and a risk that everyone has to make for themselves.

I’m curious what the players are doing that makes them safer than going to a workplace with regular testing for everyone. How and who do they get food from?
    Von was able to get tested immediately when he didn’t feel well at the Broncos facility much faster, safer and quicker than going to a testing spot.

If I could be tested regularly even once a week I would feel much safer than just wearing a mask hoping I don’t get it. You get tested and get a positive then you immediately can quarantine and narrow down who else may have it in your circle.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 07-20-2020, 05:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Players want to protect their families by not playing they should. That means they also shouldn’t get paid. 40 million Americans were given the opportunity to work or not they just lost their jobs. If a player has a pandemic clause in his contract then they’ll be fine. If not, making a living playing football is a privilege not a right.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    The players are liars.

All they’re doing is negotiating through the media.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I have said I don’t support them getting paid while sitting out. But as long as they are unpaid then I won’t blame them for sitting out for family safety.
    Play and get paid sit out and don’t. It should be easy... work with the NFLPA and NFL to make safety measures that work for all.. and stay out of the media about this..

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    I ready to throw my arms in the air and walk away from watching the sport I love... I am really not liking the direction this league is going..

Shut it down players, please... don't play, don’t get paid ...
    Scab players entertained me decades ago...let them bring in replacements for players who do not want to play in 2020.

I am sure the NFL would have no problem finding enough people willing to play.

Do not pay anyone who refuses to play.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    As long as the players get no money for choosing to sit out for safety reasons, I'm ok with it (welcome to the reality that the rest of us live in).

If the players are fighting to get paid while choosing to sit out the season for safety reasons, I trust that they'll be donating 75% of their millions to all of the unemployed folks out there, who's businesses were shut down, with people struggling to buy a loaf of bread.

Or will this just be like a fully paid sabbatical for them?
    I have said I don’t support them getting paid while sitting out. But as long as they are unpaid then I won’t blame them for sitting out for family safety.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X