X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orange crush75
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    So how long after the game is long enough to resume social distancing?
    If you and I are tested and we are negative we dont have anything to worry about . You cant catch something I dont have . These players are going to be tested a lot . It makes zero sense to clear them for contact only to prohibit them from shaking hands or jersey swap as soon as the game ends .

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
    This is my take as well . So many people out there are holding on for a vaccine or a cure all. I'm so ready for this to run its course. Just hoping we get our season .
    I get that, and I agree with you guys about herd immunity, but the vaccine and/or treatment thing is a difference in a ton of lives. Herd immunity isn't 70% without a vaccine. It's more like 90%. If we all run around willy nilly, we'll get there super fast, and a ton of people will die. If we take precautions to slow the spread while a vaccine or treatment is developed, it takes longer, but a lot of people stay alive. And hell, maybe the long way is only a year or so. I know testing increased over the period, but the new case rate per 5 days has increased an average of around 21% over the last 25 days. That, and they're saying the actual number of infections is somewhere around 10 times higher than the reported number. You start doing some math there, and you see how these guys trying to come up with treatments or vaccinations are really against the clock.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    If you don't agree with it anyway its hard to make the case for players to immediately observe it as soon as the whistle goes to the point of not being able to shake hands with players they have just spent 60 minutes contacting and being up close against.

I don't always agree with Sherman but I think most people can see how daft this looks. It is purely for show.
    If Captain America orders Private Benjamin to dig a foxhole, Private Benjamin doesn’t have to agree with it, he’s just got to do it.

I don’t have to agree with social distancing in order to do it or expect others to do it.

It is the course of action we’ve decided to go with whenever possible.

It’s reasonable to ask players to resume social distancing once the game is over.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    Just like when they opened up the country the Covid-19 cases spiked, it most likely will happen in the NFL as well.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    This - if they forfeit the money for the year, and choose to sit out for safety reasons, then I support their decision 100%.

If the season is canceled, the business/league won't be making "football season" revenue, so, why should the players? Welcome to the reality that the rest of us non-multimillionaire celebrities have to face. If you don't work, you don't get paid.

I guess the view is a little different from their gated ivory tower.
    This is a view I would agree with. This is how it should be for every single person, not just those who are not millionaires.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Sherman has a history of saying crap just for the sake of say crap.

If Manning said the same thing I might not call him a clown but I would probably still disagree with him.

It makes perfect sense to resume social distancing once the game is over. I find it hard to believe that someone smart enough to go to Stanford isn’t smart enough to figure that out. His criticism is disingenuous.

I don’t necessarily agree with social distancing
    , but it is what we’ve decided to go with. Once it’s possible, get back to it.
    If you don't agree with it anyway its hard to make the case for players to immediately observe it as soon as the whistle goes to the point of not being able to shake hands with players they have just spent 60 minutes contacting and being up close against.

I don't always agree with Sherman but I think most people can see how daft this looks. It is purely for show.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    I think players Should be able to opt out for the season if they chose,,

But forgo pay.. maybe do something like put their contract on hold for a year... so it resumes as scheduled next season. They get their position back. And if cut then put in a clause that they get whatever is coming as per the contract, plus the “non played year” accelerated.

No money lost, except a year of playing... but that becomes the players choice. They can still generate whatever income the can from endorsements etc.

As far as associating with each other... the NFL almost has to say that because of the social distancing rules etc.
    This - if they forfeit the money for the year, and choose to sit out for safety reasons, then I support their decision 100%.

If the season is canceled, the business/league won't be making "football season" revenue, so, why should the players? Welcome to the reality that the rest of us non-multimillionaire celebrities have to face. If you don't work, you don't get paid.

I guess the view is a little different from their gated ivory tower.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Would you be calling Peyton Manning a clown if he were still playing and vocal? Can we not call people we don't agree with clowns maybe?
    Sherman has a history of saying crap just for the sake of say crap.

If Manning said the same thing I might not call him a clown but I would probably still disagree with him.

It makes perfect sense to resume social distancing once the game is over. I find it hard to believe that someone smart enough to go to Stanford isn’t smart enough to figure that out. His criticism is disingenuous.

I don’t necessarily agree with social distancing, but it is what we’ve decided to go with. Once it’s possible, get back to it.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I agree with Sherman, it is very strange that players will be in each others faces and tackling all game and then as soon as the game ends they cannot go near each other. Theres no point or logic to it.

Too many things are just for show and for the NFL to say 'we're good boys and girls doing the right thing' when in reality it is meaningless and just looks silly.
    So how long after the game is long enough to resume social distancing?

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    I think players Should be able to opt out for the season if they chose,,

But forgo pay.. maybe do something like put their contract on hold for a year... so it resumes as scheduled next season. They get their position back. And if cut then put in a clause that they get whatever is coming as per the contract, plus the “non played year” accelerated.

No money lost, except a year of playing... but that becomes the players choice. They can still generate whatever income the can from endorsements etc.

As far as associating with each other... the NFL almost has to say that because of the social distancing rules etc.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Would you be calling Peyton Manning a clown if he were still playing and vocal? Can we not call people we don't agree with clowns maybe?

Well, with Sherman specifically.... he is a clown...

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    I wonder if the owners look at the prospect of an opt-out clause as ceding power to the players and don’t want to do that.

It is fair for the players to be able to opt out as long as they forfeit the money.

Football can probably withstand the loss of star players more than any other sport. People will still watch because it’s NFL football. The owners shouldn’t be overly concerned about that.

It could even give them an idea about which star players they can move on from and save some money in the future.

I do wish clowns like Richard Sherman would just stop talking.

Yes, Rick, it makes sense that the NFL wants players to resume social distancing once the game is over. Who the hell do you think you’re fooling? Stop negotiating through the media with stupid criticism of a logical policy and just work things out.
    I agree with Sherman, it is very strange that players will be in each others faces and tackling all game and then as soon as the game ends they cannot go near each other. Theres no point or logic to it.

Too many things are just for show and for the NFL to say 'we're good boys and girls doing the right thing' when in reality it is meaningless and just looks silly.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    I wonder if the owners look at the prospect of an opt-out clause as ceding power to the players and don’t want to do that.

It is fair for the players to be able to opt out as long as they forfeit the money.

Football can probably withstand the loss of star players more than any other sport. People will still watch because it’s NFL football. The owners shouldn’t be overly concerned about that.

It could even give them an idea about which star players they can move on from and save some money in the future.

Yes, Rick, it makes sense that the NFL wants players to resume social distancing once the game is over. Who the hell do you think you’re fooling? Stop negotiating through the media with stupid criticism of a logical policy and just work things out.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Who the heck said players will suddenly being able to opt out of playing a year and still get paid? That’s not a thing.

We see this all the time with players holding out of their current contract because they want a new one and they don’t get paid or the team starts fining them all their money.

This is not a thing where players can choose to sit over Covid and still get paid.
    Who knows what will happen. Rapoport reported yesterday that in the latest NFLpa counter proposal they are pushing for all players to be fully paid even if the season is cancelled, which is the same principle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X