Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Who the heck said players will suddenly being able to opt out of playing a year and still get paid? That’s not a thing.

We see this all the time with players holding out of their current contract because they want a new one and they don’t get paid or the team starts fining them all their money.

This is not a thing where players can choose to sit over Covid and still get paid.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Honestly everyone tries to get the best deal possible for themselves. It is business.

The bottom line is people get paid to provide a service. In the NFL it is an entertainment service.

There are a lot of people not getting paid from their employers right now because they are not working...either the employer has decided not to run its business, the govt has told them or people are not going to work for safety reasons.

Those people are not getting paid...it is also business.

That is the hard cold reality of shutting down everything because of this Covid19....people will struggle.
    I would add to my reply that a big difference is that because I live in the UK I have a different viewing of this to people who live in the states.

I have seen soccer leagues starting up all over europe, then our premier league got going and the Australian rugby league. When you watch the games everyone is talking about the storylines of the teams and you don't hear about the covid thing. Its all about the sport.

Then people over here will turn the channel onto an american sports talk show, normally one with wilborn, and just hear about all this drama and players might not bother playing and it just looks silly to us.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Honestly everyone tries to get the best deal possible for themselves. It is business.

The bottom line is people get paid to provide a service. In the NFL it is an entertainment service.

There are a lot of people not getting paid from their employers right now because they are not working...either the employer has decided not to run its business, the govt has told them or people are not going to work for safety reasons.

That is the hard cold reality of shutting down everything because of this Covid19....people will struggle.
    Anyone, including the players, can choose not to work. If they continue getting their contract paid out for the season even though they have pulled out its completely wrong.

Top sports have resumed in many other countries without this issue, they have gotten on with it. Governing sport and managing these stars in the USA must be one of the hardest jobs in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    American sport stars think they can do whatever they like without consequences and are above everyone else. Most of them are good people but some will exploit this situation.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Keep talking. Very informative and revealing.
    I speak my mind. Take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Anyone can refuse to work for any reason. Guess someone who makes 6-8 figures a year has that luxury.

There are a lot of essential workers who get exposed to more people every day than a NFL player would in a week and they can not refuse to work because they need the money.

Those workers got past the whole "drama' part of this pandemic back in April...well except for the customers who come into the business and start more drama.

Players should be thankful there will be no fans.
    American sport stars think they can do whatever they like without consequences and are above everyone else. Most of them are good people but some will exploit this situation.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    If the NFL get the green light to go and safety measures are put in place such as no fans, more testing then the general public will ever get, and the best medical team, and some players decide they want to take the year off its ridiculous. If they then continue to get paid, and they will, for doing nothing then that will be a disgrace.

If a player decides to donate his money to a cause or charity then fair enough, but that won't happen.

Its a slap in the face to every working class person who has to work to support their family if someone can take a year off and still get paid. It is completely wrong on every level.

Players are not stupid. They know they can take 12 months off from work and still get paid, while many people will say how 'brilliant' they are for deciding not to bother working. They can have everything their own way.

It comes down to money. Every action has consequences as an adult and they can decide not to work and forgo their wages. If they can not bother working and still get paid its an absolute disgrace............ espeically as sport leagues all over the world have already opened up and no one has taken this stance. People will just see these American athletes kicking up a fuss and being drama queens again, rather then getting on with things.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    "Due respect"? Odd beginning for the statement that follows. According to you (and, yes, the rest of the world apparently), and you've mentioned it a few times, drama is what we do best.

I don't blame players opting out for the reasons they've stated. Protecting family is a good thing, IMO.
    Anyone can refuse to work for any reason. Guess someone who makes 6-8 figures a year has that luxury.

There are a lot of essential workers who get exposed to more people every day than a NFL player would in a week and they can not refuse to work because they need the money.

Those workers got past the whole "drama' part of this pandemic back in April...well except for the customers who come into the business and start more drama.

Players should be thankful there will be no fans.

Leave a comment:

• orange crush75
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    It probably won't go away, but neither did the flu. We're not going to have to do this every year because much like the flu, people are going to develop anti-bodies to help combat future infections. Even if they don't find a vaccine, this isn't the rest of our lives. Worst case, it'll be next summer.
    This is my take as well . So many people out there are holding on for a vaccine or a cure all. I'm so ready for this to run its course. Just hoping we get our season .

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Have you all thought about the possibility that this virus never goes away ? What then ?
    It probably won't go away, but neither did the flu. We're not going to have to do this every year because much like the flu, people are going to develop anti-bodies to help combat future infections. Even if they don't find a vaccine, this isn't the rest of our lives. Worst case, it'll be next summer.

Leave a comment:

• orange crush75
    replied
    Have you all thought about the possibility that this virus never goes away ? What then ?

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    In other news MLS started back this week and has already had two teams withdraw due to too many positive cases on the team. And other games have been postponed. Not a good sign.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I agree but I’m being fair to him and taking it because I was a little accusatory on my first response back to him when he called the players lazy if they want to protect their family.
    I think that got several of us a little heated but yea, a little calmness and attempt to understand where each other are coming from will go a long way towards keeping this from escalating despite our personal biases.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Criticising others is one thing. Practicing self-observation is another. Socrates said that the unobserved life is not worth living.

This thread is about the issue of playing football in the middle of a pandemic. Some have approached it from the angle of logistics based on what is currently known. Others have dictated to the situation according to what they perceive as their own wants and needs.

Everyone needs to look in their own mirror. Self-perception is best achieved through personal effort.
    I agree but I’m being fair to him and taking it because I was a little accusatory on my first response back to him when he called the players lazy if they want to protect their family.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    He’s not wrong though. I don’t take offense to someone pointing out what most of us already know about ourselves.
    Criticising others is one thing. Practicing self-observation is another. Socrates said that the unobserved life is not worth living.

This thread is about the issue of playing football in the middle of a pandemic. Some have approached it from the angle of logistics based on what is currently known. Others have dictated to the situation according to what they perceive as their own wants and needs.

Everyone needs to look in their own mirror. Self-perception is best achieved through personal effort.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X