• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzbodog
    Football Immortal
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Cov2 is going to keep spreading. IMO people need to start looking at what they can do to boost their immune system.

The people who are really suspectable need to stay at home until science gives them a better option.

Cov2 is going to keep going and not wait for us to figure out our proven science and how people are going to make a profit from it.
    AND....a vaccine for Covid 19 may never happen. A vaccine has yet to happen for HIV/AIDS....30+ years and nothing.

Some others with no vaccine:

Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis)
    Chikungunya
    Dengue
    Cytomegalovirus
    HIV/AIDS
    Hookworm infection
    Leishmaniasis
    Malaria
    Respiratory Syncytial Virus
    Schistosomiasis
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Hadez
      Football Immortal
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
      AND....a vaccine for Covid 19 may never happen. A vaccine has yet to happen for HIV/AIDS....30+ years and nothing.

Chikungunya
      Dengue
      Cytomegalovirus
      HIV/AIDS
      Hookworm infection
      Leishmaniasis
      Malaria
      Schistosomiasis
      They had problems with Cov1 vaccine. People hoping for a vaccine to answer the problem may be waiting for something that will never come.

Oh they will sell us something as there is a lot of money to be made. I am not 100% it will do what people are expecting it to do.
      Last edited by Hadez; 06-24-2020, 02:03 PM.
      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
      effort x talent = skill
      effort x skill = achievement
      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• DenverBlood
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        I know its a different country but don't you think the states would look a bit silly if they couldn't get a season started in mid-September, when the Bundesliga (Germany) began mid-May, and the other soccer league at the start of June (including the UK which had a higher death total then other european countries).

We are currently at around 15 deaths a day, out of a 1600 per day average. We are testing 1500 football players plus and returning 2-3 positive results and they have only been mild cases.

My point is that in 3-4 weeks the States will come down like everywhere else. NZ are completely back to normal and Australia are letting in 10,000 fans to the rugby league in around 10 days.

I won't go into the 'second wave' argument as I believe its fantasy and we get told over here its very unlikely, Germany have been open a long time now and are fine barring the odd 40 person outbreak here and there.

I just can't get my head around why on earth the NFL can't start mid-September which is MONTHS behind other big countries starting up their sports. Just completely illogical and lacking any perspective IMO.
        Because our country is driven my a media that knows that Fear tactics drive top ratings in this country. All we see every day on every site is how awful this is and how it keeps getting worse by the day and will only continue to get worse. No one is spreading rumors of optimism and hope. And anytime anyone talks about getting back to normal or seen out in public not taking precautions they are chastised publicly.

All people read about every day and fear is the worst because that’s all that’s being reported to us. So it’s hard for us to imagine any sports returning at all. NBA and MLB have both announced return to play and the NBA plan is already at risk. One player already said he will not report back with his team due to health concerns for his son who has respiratory problems. It’s a risk he’s not willing to take. There’s many others that aren’t sure they want to return this year.

I think it’s also a mistake to compare countries that are much smaller than the USA. It’s not apples to apples.

I really hope I’m wrong and the NFl continues to add extra steps to try to start on time. But it’s not that difficult for me to see a cancellation of the season based on the news reported to us every single day.
        sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
          Banned User
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          Because our country is driven my a media that knows that Fear tactics drive top ratings in this country. All we see every day on every site is how awful this is and how it keeps getting worse by the day and will only continue to get worse. No one is spreading rumors of optimism and hope. And anytime anyone talks about getting back to normal or seen out in public not taking precautions they are chastised publicly.

All people read about every day and fear is the worst because that’s all that’s being reported to us. So it’s hard for us to imagine any sports returning at all. NBA and MLB have both announced return to play and the NBA plan is already at risk. One player already said he will not report back with his team due to health concerns for his son who has respiratory problems. It’s a risk he’s not willing to take. There’s many others that aren’t sure they want to return this year.

I think it’s also a mistake to compare countries that are much smaller than the USA. It’s not apples to apples.

I really hope I’m wrong and the NFl continues to add extra steps to try to start on time. But it’s not that difficult for me to see a cancellation of the season based on the news reported to us every single day.
          I would advise watching the news as little as possible, a lot of people have said that their mental health and positivity has improved massively since they stopped hanging on the medias every word.

The problem I have with the media is that there is no balance or perspective. I don't mind hearing good and bad but they sensationlise everything to the degree that its unwatchable. They have a history of going way over the top long before covid, they know the more drama the more people watch. Its the same with sport, teams are either the best thing ever or absolutely dreadful, theres no middle ground.

I try and keep a balanced common sense view. Take precautions when needed but life goes on and things need to move forward for many different reasons. Unfortuantly illness, disease, and risk will always be part of life. If people are too afraid to live their life then I feel bad for them.

I stand by what I said. The NFL will start on time and if they don't it will be beyond ridiculous.

Comment

• Hadez
            Football Immortal
            • Nov 2004

We getting off topic with the news/media but it has its purpose. It gives us a 90 second clip of the news based on the writing of one person(s) and the delivery of another person(s). If we find something we have feelings on than it is on us to put the extra effort in to finding the in depth story of the issues and it is on us to try and capture as many sides of the story as possible because that is impossible in a 90 second clip.
            What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
            effort x talent = skill
            effort x skill = achievement
            How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Some general comments, addressing things posted and otherwise:
              1) I would not compare any country, city or town, with regard to the virus, unless they are almost identical from a variety of characteristics, and even then I would be cautious to relate them to one another.
              2) As much as the media provides shock and awe on a daily basis, I think the best way to assess the situation is if you were a business owner, trying to make a go of it with covid actively spreading. Whether you own a sports team or a restaurant or a bar, or whatever. Try walking a mile in their shoes, especially in a location that is spiking in cases. It's easy to just say, hey folks, lets move forward AND NOW. But the truth is there are fears, potential liabilities, risks and so much more, if you proceed too quickly. And your employees and your customers have a say as well. Even if your employees show up, that does not guarantee your customers will.
              3) Big league sports have it even more complex, because they are working with so many logistical issues...a bubble or a couple of cities or all cities? How many games? What to do if players get infected? What to do if they have to stop and restart? Will it become a lost cause if they have too many cases, or have to stop more than once?

I can go on, but before we judge whether or not the media is whipping this all up, or whether owners are being too cautious, etc. lets imagine how hard it must be, and the risks that come with it.

Comment

• GMTD
                Football Immortal
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Chikungunya
                Dengue
                Cytomegalovirus
                HIV/AIDS
                Hookworm infection
                Leishmaniasis
                Malaria
                Schistosomiasis
                But with some of those above there are very good therapeutics- especially for Malaria, HIV and dengue fever.

We don't necessarily need to find a vaccine but we will need effective therapeutics.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                  Banned User
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  We getting off topic with the news/media but it has its purpose. It gives us a 90 second clip of the news based on the writing of one person(s) and the delivery of another person(s). If we find something we have feelings on than it is on us to put the extra effort in to finding the in depth story of the issues and it is on us to try and capture as many sides of the story as possible because that is impossible in a 90 second clip.
                  Whether the media are talking about the economy (even pre-covid), terrorism, immigration, illness in general, elderly residents, etc...... they will always give the worse case scenarios because it creates interest and viewers. Thats just media 101.

The bigger problem is that a lot of people, espeically those living alone, take it literally. That is why some people are scared to go outside. If the media provided balance, perspective, and a sensible outlook I think people would take them more serious.

I don't like stupid buzzwords, but the one that has done the rounds this year is fake news and I've been saying that for years. MSM is all about creating drama.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                    Banned User
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    Some general comments, addressing things posted and otherwise:
                    1) I would not compare any country, city or town, with regard to the virus, unless they are almost identical from a variety of characteristics, and even then I would be cautious to relate them to one another.
                    2) As much as the media provides shock and awe on a daily basis, I think the best way to assess the situation is if you were a business owner, trying to make a go of it with covid actively spreading. Whether you own a sports team or a restaurant or a bar, or whatever. Try walking a mile in their shoes, especially in a location that is spiking in cases. It's easy to just say, hey folks, lets move forward AND NOW. But the truth is there are fears, potential liabilities, risks and so much more, if you proceed too quickly. And your employees and your customers have a say as well. Even if your employees show up, that does not guarantee your customers will.
                    3) Big league sports have it even more complex, because they are working with so many logistical issues...a bubble or a couple of cities or all cities? How many games? What to do if players get infected? What to do if they have to stop and restart? Will it become a lost cause if they have too many cases, or have to stop more than once?

I can go on, but before we judge whether or not the media is whipping this all up, or whether owners are being too cautious, etc. lets imagine how hard it must be, and the risks that come with it.
                    To point 2 there will always be risk in life but keeping the economy closed is doing far more harm then good, and in regards to the States I'm talking about in 4 weeks time when numbers will have gone down a lot.... as has happened in Europe, Asia, etc........... Countries that have largely opened up (we do on 4th July) knows there is always risk but you have to move life forward. I just use sensible precautions by taking handgel and not going in peoples personal space (I can't wear those ridiculous masks lol).

The bottom line is that unless or elderly or have bad health problems the chances of being hospitalized with this are so low that shutting down live is madness. People who are vulnerable obviously need to take more sensible precautions for this year.

Regarding point 3 the NRL is Australia, Rubgy Union in NZ, and Soccer all over europe have made it work, in May/June. If the NFL cannot make it work in September then I will be stunned.

This is from our testing in the premier league -

Round 5: 1-2 June - 1,197 tested, with one testing positive.

Round 6: 4-5 June - 1,195 tested, with zero testing positive.

Round 7: 8-9 June - 1,213 tested, with one testing positive.

Round 8: 11-12 June - 1,200 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.

Round 9: 15-16 June - 1,541 tested, with one testing positive.

We have the highest case load in europe as well. Bottom line, its not hard to make it work, espeically when your talking young healthy athletes who are more likely to die in a car crash, statiscally, then of this c-19

Comment

• DenverBlood
                      Football Immortal
                      • Nov 2005

And step one to a canceled season is already underway. The NFL has canceled the preseason Hall of Fame game between Dallas and Pittsburgh.

Granted the preseason is not really necessary. And probably should be canceled altogether. But it could at least signal a delay.
                      Last edited by DenverBlood; 06-25-2020, 05:45 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Murph2432
                        Playmaker
                        • Sep 2008

I don’t see how they have a season this year. Didn’t we just see 30 LSU players get the Coronavirus from possibly practicing together? Imagine if that happened during their “playoffs”. Or if one player infects 30 players on the Broncos during the season. Do we cancel the games for two weeks? Health is more important than playing a sport. Until they come out with either a vaccine or a better way to control it, I say let’s skip a year. That one year will also let us see if numbers get a lot worse or better once fall/winter seasons come. Are we going to get a round two of this virus? Is the second strand of this virus going to show worse symptoms? Help us understand what we may be going up against vs just assuming.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                          Football Immortal
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                          I don’t see how they have a season this year. Didn’t we just see 30 LSU players get the Coronavirus from possibly practicing together? Imagine if that happened during their “playoffs”. Or if one player infects 30 players on the Broncos during the season. Do we cancel the games for two weeks? Health is more important than playing a sport. Until they come out with either a vaccine or a better way to control it, I say let’s skip a year. That one year will also let us see if numbers get a lot worse or better once fall/winter seasons come. Are we going to get a round two of this virus? Is the second strand of this virus going to show worse symptoms? Help us understand what we may be going up against vs just assuming.
                          FYI this is strand 19 of Coronavirus
                          sigpic

Comment

• Murph2432
                            Playmaker
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                            FYI this is strand 19 of Coronavirus
                            Hahah this is true. Let me rephrase my statement.... Will the next strand of the virus going to show worse symptoms.

Appreciate the fact correction.

Comment

• Bronco51
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jan 2005

I think there is pressure to start on time. I also think we will see a watered down product. Teams’ best players get injured during the season anyway, so I feel they will give it a go and play unless it gets pretty serious with infections.

Comment

• Spice 1
                                Football Immortal
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                                I would advise watching the news as little as possible, a lot of people have said that their mental health and positivity has improved massively since they stopped hanging on the medias every word.

The problem I have with the media is that there is no balance or perspective. I don't mind hearing good and bad but they sensationlise everything to the degree that its unwatchable. They have a history of going way over the top long before covid, they know the more drama the more people watch. Its the same with sport, teams are either the best thing ever or absolutely dreadful, theres no middle ground.

I try and keep a balanced common sense view. Take precautions when needed but life goes on and things need to move forward for many different reasons. Unfortuantly illness, disease, and risk will always be part of life. If people are too afraid to live their life then I feel bad for them.

I stand by what I said. The NFL will start on time and if they don't it will be beyond ridiculous.
                                Ballad of a Thin Man ~ Bob (There's a good synopsis of what's going on. Dylan's particular application was for media misinterpretation of the cultural movement of the time in the 60's, but the ultimate point remains relevant today)
                                Poison Godmachine and The Final Product are more my flavor, though
                                I wish The Yellow Submarine was about Yellow Journalism, but the Beatles loved to write nonsense at the end of the day.

On topic though, I really have no idea whether or not the season will go on. I have seen horror stories from the people who get it severely. Happens to people, the epitome of health, of all ages. It keeps mutating, and people continue being re-infected. Even when you consider that therapeutic drugs are being discovered and developed, the severe cases appear to be altering people's lives, and I haven't seen anything extensive regarding a means for identifying exactly WHO will get it severely. I say this not knowing how the long term effects compare to other endemic diseases, but you then have to consider the comparative rate of infection as well. I think we're way past the "endemic" discussion, and have stepped into a complex prevention and treatment problem. The focus, IMO is identifying those in danger of developing severe Covid, and figuring out how to treat them. Otherwise, I don't see how you can just accept the virus and move on. Even though most won't get it bad, you have to consider those who are more susceptible and do get it bad.

Sorry to the mods if I'm concentrating too much on the virus itself. I have a lot of faith in the well oiled machine that the NFL is, just look at the draft, but I feel like we have to talk extensively about the virus to contemplate how this might play out. Also, if there's any bad info in anything I said in the second paragraph, discuss, because I haven't done any heavy reading on the virus in a few weeks. Just snippets.

Comment

Working...
                                X