Season in jeopardy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I agree, and I did not mean to overlook. But I think the times are a changin, and therefore my opinion is that we should not be too rigid in terms of who has a voice, or that we should stay the way we were.

No, I don't want sports to be too opinionated, but in these times, I get it.
    Thanks for understanding
    In my best Terrell Owen's voice...on Justin Fields. "That's my quarterback"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
      Neither the thinking of just shut up in play. Not just here to entertainment. I'm pretty the players could less what you think they should and shouldn't be allowed to do!
      Hehehe, funny post!

They are just overpaid athletes, nothing that special.
      They can play a game, whoopie!

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
        You are overlooking that not everyone agrees on every topic or has the same level of passion to actively support it.

The NBA players boycotted because they wanted to see more action from the owners. Should that same standard be demanded of NFL owners and organizations? What if they go against the popular opinion. What happens when an owner ( or teammate) donates to the “wrong” cause?

IMO there has to be limit of political or social messaging connected to sports. It is a diversion and entertainment from the news. I have no clue what that acceptable line should be, just know I’m getting pretty darn close to it.

I’m an avid Laker/ NBA fan. I love the playoffs almost as much as football but the saturation of social messaging and commentary is starting to interfere with my enjoyment of the games. To the point of thinking it would be better if they just shut it down . Players don’t want to be there. So why force it.

Just hope the NFL can find the balance suitable for all to be satisfied with just playing and enjoying a game. Naive of me I know. We shall see!
        My own view is that most sports players just want to play sport. Most don't really want to get involved directly in political causes. They just want to play, entertain and achieve their goals.

However...how can I say this on a sporting forum...let me chose my words carefully... we live in an imperfect world where in a large number of countries and societies the political space has become crowded by issues of identity, judgments on who really belongs; and in particular attempts to impose a narrow interpretation of a singular, ethnically uniform identity and culture on everyone. Many have been squeezed out of this template approach. Some of those in that space feel that their road is being blocked, or the carpet being pulled from underneath them. As a result they feel they have to speak out to try to stem the tide.

How this ultimately unfolds is anyones guess.

As far as sport is concerned though, I believe that the players will try their utmost to continue to play. They just want an acknowledgement that the singular approach will be changed and if possible, reversed. Owners cannot speak for others, and only have limited power to effect change outside of their sport, but they can try to listen and understand the concerns of their staff, and take things forward in a more consensual way.
        Last edited by GMTD; 08-27-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• I am not saying it's a done deal, given the nastiness of this pandemic, and I am concerned about all the "to and from" involved with travelling. But so far so good, and knowing these owners (ha ha....not personally), they will do whatever they can to play. So unless there are outbreaks ahead, I can see the season going forward. Recently I was more unsure, as baseball minus hub cities, had a poor start. But they seem back on track.

In the end, I really like what The NHL and NBA have done with their hub city approaches, and testing. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I am not saying it's a done deal, given the nastiness of this pandemic, and I am concerned about all the "to and from" involved with travelling. But so far so good, and knowing these owners (ha ha....not personally), they will do whatever they can to play. So unless there are outbreaks ahead, I can see the season going forward. Recently I was more unsure, as baseball minus hub cities, had a poor start. But they seem back on track.

In the end, I really like what The NHL and NBA have done with their hub city approaches, and testing. Fingers crossed.
            On the logistical side of things, I have certainly been impressed by how some of these sports have managed to restart seasons where infections are still on the high side in many places. Everyone has had to pull together to make it happen, and maybe that has helped draw players and owners a bit closer together In other ways too.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post
              On the logistical side of things, I have certainly been impressed by how some of these sports have managed to restart seasons where infections are still on the high side in many places. Everyone has had to pull together to make it happen, and maybe that has helped draw players and owners a bit closer together In other ways too.
              I agree with all you say. With so much going against them, and then being subjected to such tight and isolated living arrangements, I can see more bonding and comradery. They often say that road trips are good for teams, and in this case, though a bit different, it's the same concept....in it together.
              Last edited by CanDB; 08-27-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                Hehehe, funny post!

They are just overpaid athletes, nothing that special.
                They can play a game, whoopie!
                We are just a bunch of underpaid regular people....nothing special....we can get over not watching a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                  My own view is that most sports players just want to play sport. Most don't really want to get involved directly in political causes. They just want to play, entertain and achieve their goals.

However...how can I say this on a sporting forum...let me chose my words carefully... we live in an imperfect world where in a large number of countries and societies the political space has become crowded by issues of identity, judgments on who really belongs; and in particular attempts to impose a narrow interpretation of a singular, ethnically uniform identity and culture on everyone. Many have been squeezed out of this template approach. Some of those in that space feel that their road is being blocked, or the carpet being pulled from underneath them. As a result they feel they have to speak out to try to stem the tide.

How this ultimately unfolds is anyones guess.

As far as sport is concerned though, I believe that the players will try their utmost to continue to play. They just want an acknowledgement that the singular approach will be changed and if possible, reversed. Owners cannot speak for others, and only have limited power to effect change outside of their sport, but they can try to listen and understand the concerns of their staff, and take things forward in a more consensual way.
                  i agree I too rather note be talking about this. Wished it never happened.

Comment

• They should just cancel the season. NFL acts like everything is only going to get better. Breaking news: colder weather is coming. Numbers will go up. NFL doesn’t have the ability to bubble players like they do in NHL or NBA. Smaller rosters and playing just playoffs. Nfl plans on playing a full season. This will most likely end badly. Just my opinion though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                      The political and social unrest has no business being in sports.
                      True. However, in this modern world where we are bombarded 24/7 on social media, TV and in print, there is now no escape from being told what to think and how to think. If you speak, you will be damned one side or the other. It's same if you don't speak up. We are all damned no matter what we do or say. The Golden Rule applies to my life. Do unto others as you would have them do undo you. It's so damned simple, but too much of humanity just don't get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeGees View Post
                        True. However, in this modern world where we are bombarded 24/7 on social media, TV and in print, there is now no escape from being told what to think and how to think. If you speak, you will be damned one side or the other. It's same if you don't speak up. We are all damned no matter what we do or say. The Golden Rule applies to my life. Do unto others as you would have them do undo you. It's so damned simple, but too much of humanity just don't get it.
                        And as our brother Michael Jackson said,
                        "If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look in the mirror, and Make that Change!!!!
                        Whoooo!
                        (Grab crotch, etc.!!!! Whooo!)

Comment

• The NHL, which has a relatively small % of black players, is also postponing games....tonight and tomorrow. Speaks volumes to me.

Maybe this is too much chatter about the topic, but given we are talking about the NFL season, I would not be surprised if (sadly) any other "incident" took place in the coming weeks/months ended up initiating further boycotts. And it is not easy to reschedule a bunch of NFL games.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 08-27-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Back to the original intent of this thread, the NFL currently has 1 player on the Covid list. 1 player league wide. 2560 players on active rosters right now, and just 1 is Covid positive at this point.

The league will definitely start on time, and they'll get the full season in.

Comment

• “If not now, when? If not during this pandemic, then when?

# Cris Webber
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Ok.

Politics. Full stop.

Thread closed for some cleaning and re-open after it's cooled down.

Edit: Thread is open again.

The COCs have not changed. More politics / personal attacks / etc. will see this thread permanently closed.
                                Last edited by Rastic; 08-28-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X