Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dgobronco
    replied
    I think in general the kinds of controls necessary to sustain a safe season of league play are easier at the pro level than college, in large part because the participants are paid professionals and not college students. That said, I'm sure the NFL is watching the NBA and MLB closely. As a business owner, I'm all too familiar with the CDC guidelines for a safe workplace and what has to happen if someone tests positive and has exposed others. I'm having a hard time believing the NFL can pull it off. They have the $$, but the logistics are daunting, even if you take fans out of the equation and centralize play in one region. I think the best shot at having a season is for active cases and infection rates to be much lower than they are today by the time fall rolls around. But that may be wishful thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If the NCAA calls it off, which the Ivy League already did, I can’t see the NFL being too far off. I am seeing if other smaller conferences follow the Ivy League in shutting down fall sports.
    I think it's apples and oranges. With several schools going to online only for the fall, they can't shut the doors to regular students while having student athletes (football players) there to essentially just play football. Especially at colleges where football doesn't pay bills.

The NFL is only in the business of putting on football games, and they have to only worry about the health of around 100 people (give or take) that are part of the players, coaches, trainers, doctors and equipment staff.

There's also the fact that most college football programs rely on ticket sales in order to pay for that and many other sports. Without fans they're losing money. Meanwhile the NFL has teams turning a profit without ever selling a ticket because of their TV deals. So playing games without fans is much much easier for the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I was thinking more about practice facilities. If the NCAA doesn't play then colleges could essentially rent out their complexes (practice fields, offices, meeting rooms etc.) to NFL teams. Although they might have some overlap late in the season, but they could work around that.
    If the NCAA calls it off, which the Ivy League already did, I can’t see the NFL being too far off. I am seeing if other smaller conferences follow the Ivy League in shutting down fall sports.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It’s really not that hard to change that at this stage. Those games were defined back in May when we were still in the early stages of the COVID impacts.

And good luck with that decision if Arizona extends how long their current lockdown goes until.

Refusing to acknowledge a need for a bubble is basically saying if a states stays in or goes into a complete lockdown that shuts down facilities like their use of their stadium then what? That teams forfeits their season only?
    I think you underestimate what it takes for a corporation to make a decision much less all the effort required to arrange playing sites, practice fields, sleeping arrangements and team facilities.

The games were known in Jan....the schedule was not released until months later and the only thing needed to be arranged was the playing location.

Why do you think anyone is refusing to acknowledge anything? My guess is the NFL has tossed around a lot more ideas than we have seen in this thread. They probably did an in depth risk assessment and decided on the current path...because that is what goes in on huge corporations.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I mean even if NCAA doesn’t they don’t play on the same day. So if needed I’m not really sure why an NFl game couldn’t technically still be played on the same field the next day. Or even on a Monday night two days later if they want to allow timing to clean locker rooms thoroughly first.
    I was thinking more about practice facilities. If the NCAA doesn't play then colleges could essentially rent out their complexes (practice fields, offices, meeting rooms etc.) to NFL teams. Although they might have some overlap late in the season, but they could work around that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X