Season in jeopardy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Because our country is driven my a media that knows that Fear tactics drive top ratings in this country. All we see every day on every site is how awful this is and how it keeps getting worse by the day and will only continue to get worse. No one is spreading rumors of optimism and hope. And anytime anyone talks about getting back to normal or seen out in public not taking precautions they are chastised publicly.

All people read about every day and fear is the worst because that’s all that’s being reported to us. So it’s hard for us to imagine any sports returning at all. NBA and MLB have both announced return to play and the NBA plan is already at risk. One player already said he will not report back with his team due to health concerns for his son who has respiratory problems. It’s a risk he’s not willing to take. There’s many others that aren’t sure they want to return this year.

I think it’s also a mistake to compare countries that are much smaller than the USA. It’s not apples to apples.

I really hope I’m wrong and the NFl continues to add extra steps to try to start on time. But it’s not that difficult for me to see a cancellation of the season based on the news reported to us every single day.
    Perfectly Said. To be honest I Did Stop Watching The News and My Life is 100% Better Indeed. Getting Back To Point the NFL will have to cancel. So I guess hopefully we can watch a Season in 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
      To point 2 there will always be risk in life but keeping the economy closed is doing far more harm then good, and in regards to the States I'm talking about in 4 weeks time when numbers will have gone down a lot.... as has happened in Europe, Asia, etc........... Countries that have largely opened up (we do on 4th July) knows there is always risk but you have to move life forward. I just use sensible precautions by taking handgel and not going in peoples personal space (I can't wear those ridiculous masks lol).

The bottom line is that unless or elderly or have bad health problems the chances of being hospitalized with this are so low that shutting down live is madness. People who are vulnerable obviously need to take more sensible precautions for this year.

Regarding point 3 the NRL is Australia, Rubgy Union in NZ, and Soccer all over europe have made it work, in May/June. If the NFL cannot make it work in September then I will be stunned.

This is from our testing in the premier league -

Round 5: 1-2 June - 1,197 tested, with one testing positive.

Round 6: 4-5 June - 1,195 tested, with zero testing positive.

Round 7: 8-9 June - 1,213 tested, with one testing positive.

Round 8: 11-12 June - 1,200 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.

Round 9: 15-16 June - 1,541 tested, with one testing positive.

We have the highest case load in europe as well. Bottom line, its not hard to make it work, espeically when your talking young healthy athletes who are more likely to die in a car crash, statiscally, then of this c-19
      Bronx....I still think we are talking apples and oranges. The recent stats suggest that this is not in control in various, large areas. Therefore one can not say, just wait a few weeks. I would agree if the cases were stabilized and decreasing, and that folks were following the guidelines. But unfortunately many are not. So we should not compare the soccer situation to NA sports.

If we were playing in my province (which we won't) I would agree with you. We have been lucky and are not as international / densely populated as many of the bigger cities. But regardless, we have very few cases, and loads of people are wearing masks...and I could see a league making a go of it here. But that's not happening. Just a side angle.

In my opinion, if the cases/hospitalizations/deaths do not decline soon, and trends do not reverse for the positive, I am sure that owners/players/league officials will not want to move forward. Golf and NASCAR have with some success, but they are not people contact sports.

Comment

Since my state has reopened we’ve seen a drastic uptick in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. But I think that’s more because people treated the reopening like the virus had been eradicated. I don’t think they’re talking about closing up again but I do know the navy just basically told me I have to go back into shutdown mode. Time to let my luxurious locks grow out lol

I don’t think the season will be canceled but I do think they will forgo fan attendance. The NBA bubble will be an interesting test run for the NFL. Something similar to that could work although it’d likely be a moving bubble around each team and would be extremely difficult to pull off as everybody in every organization would be giving up a lot of their basic freedoms.
        Last edited by beastlyskronk; 06-25-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

So....this is just theoretical stuff, because I still have hopes for a season, even if late. I mentioned before but like to get your feedback on this.

IF a sport like The NFL cancelled it's entire season (or most other teams sports), how would the draft work the following year?

In other words, and lets stay with The NFL and our beloved Broncos....we just came off our draft. If there was no football, what would be the fairest way to conduct the draft, relative to draft order? The draft we just had was based on last year's performance, but how do you select in the 2nd draft, given there is no new performance (standings) to guide the process?

Here's my take:

1) It would not be fair to use the same draft order, because that would overly benefit lower level teams. If you just got rewarded with the best picks, you should not automatically get those same high quality draftees. because doubling up in quality is more then enough compensation for your poor performance the year before.

2) Clearly, where trades were involved, those selections no longer apply.

3) If anything, I would go with some form of lottery, perhaps weighted a little bit towards bottom to top in the previous year's standings. That way weaker teams might gain a little, but all teams would have a chance to move up where possible. The weightings in my opinion, would be advantageous but not significant. Though it still seems to over compensate weaker teams, not if the weightings are reasonable. Conversely, I prefer that to a complete open lottery, because I don't think it wise for top teams to easily gain high picks.

What are your thoughts?
          Last edited by CanDB; 06-25-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

To point 2 there will always be risk in life but keeping the economy closed is doing far more harm then good, and in regards to the States I'm talking about in 4 weeks time when numbers will have gone down a lot.... as has happened in Europe, Asia, etc........... Countries that have largely opened up (we do on 4th July) knows there is always risk but you have to move life forward. I just use sensible precautions by taking handgel and not going in peoples personal space (I can't wear those ridiculous masks lol).

The bottom line is that unless or elderly or have bad health problems the chances of being hospitalized with this are so low that shutting down live is madness. People who are vulnerable obviously need to take more sensible precautions for this year.

Regarding point 3 the NRL is Australia, Rubgy Union in NZ, and Soccer all over europe have made it work, in May/June. If the NFL cannot make it work in September then I will be stunned.

This is from our testing in the premier league -

Round 5: 1-2 June - 1,197 tested, with one testing positive.

Round 6: 4-5 June - 1,195 tested, with zero testing positive.

Round 7: 8-9 June - 1,213 tested, with one testing positive.

Round 8: 11-12 June - 1,200 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.

Round 9: 15-16 June - 1,541 tested, with one testing positive.

We have the highest case load in europe as well. Bottom line, its not hard to make it work, espeically when your talking young healthy athletes who are more likely to die in a car crash, statiscally, then of this c-19
            Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Bronx....I still think we are talking apples and oranges. The recent stats suggest that this is not in control in various, large areas. Therefore one can not say, just wait a few weeks. I would agree if the cases were stabilized and decreasing, and that folks were following the guidelines. But unfortunately many are not. So we should not compare the soccer situation to NA sports.

If we were playing in my province (which we won't) I would agree with you. We have been lucky and are not as international / densely populated as many of the bigger cities. But regardless, we have very few cases, and loads of people are wearing masks...and I could see a league making a go of it here. But that's not happening. Just a side angle.

In my opinion, if the cases/hospitalizations/deaths do not decline soon, and trends do not reverse for the positive, I am sure that owners/players/league officials will not want to move forward. Golf and NASCAR have with some success, but they are not people contact sports.
            Well in the discussion we are having about NFL and how it will get effected I would like to know how is the Australian league doing their sports? Is it going to be like the NBA where they have teams set aside from the population as a whole or like the NFL which seems to be willing to allow their teams and employees to interact with the population least on the level of flying to different cities and needing a place to sleep?

My follow up question would be if the Australian league is going to different cities than maybe the NFL should look into that process. There are lessons to be learned from sports leagues that have already opened. I am sure measures can be taken to minimize exposure.

Then it is just a question if the NFL/Players union/Others want to take on the risks.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I would advise watching the news as little as possible, a lot of people have said that their mental health and positivity has improved massively since they stopped hanging on the medias every word.
              Amen :thumb:
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Please Help Me Understand!!!!!

Forgive me if this is the wrong area to post this Mods!
                I could use some constructive criticism from my fellow Bronco/ Sports fans.
                I have been working as a union carpenter during the Covid lockdown/ restrictions. I’ve scene the same workers at the grocery store, hardware store, and the many other construction workers I work along with.
                What is the big risk the NBA, MLB, and NFL players are taking that me and the many others who have had to work through the Pandemic?
                I may just have a bad attitude, but it seems like they will have the safest environments to work in.
                Acress to;
                - facilities that will be kept immaculate
                - Regular testing for themselves and all their fellow workers
                - team physician’s

I was listening to a sports talk show today and i just don’t understand the risk i keep hearing about!
                sigpic

Comment

It would be sad if there isn’t football because of the unnecessary panic.

The NFL has the only regular season I care about.

I don’t care about basketball or baseball until it’s playoff time and even then it’s more about the championship series.

That being said, it would be somewhat interesting to see if people really are willing to tolerate not having football.
                  You Mad Bro?

Comment

I don't know what will happen... The players are one thing. Seems like their health is generally good enough to kick this things butt. There will be exceptions to that. What happens if a coach gets corona? Wow can you imagine fangio or Reid getting very sick? Any head coach? It would rock the league.
                    Last edited by Zealander; 06-25-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                      I don't know what will happen... The players are one thing. Seems like their health is generally good enough to kick this things butt. There will be exceptions to that. What happens if a coach gets corona? Wow can you imagine fangio or Reid getting very sick? Any head coach? It would rock the league.
                      It’s not just coaches. There’s been players in all leagues saying they don’t think football is worth risking it.

Malcolm Jenkins said yesterday football is non essential and he doesn’t think he wants to play and risk getting it.

Just because people think they are healthy enough to beat it doesn’t mean they want to get it. I don’t wear a mask when I go grocery shopping. But outside of that I still stay home and try to avoid getting too close to people when I do go out. I don’t think it would affect me much as I rarely ever get sick but I’m still not really wanting to find out.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                        Forgive me if this is the wrong area to post this Mods!
                        I could use some constructive criticism from my fellow Bronco/ Sports fans.
                        I have been working as a union carpenter during the Covid lockdown/ restrictions. I’ve scene the same workers at the grocery store, hardware store, and the many other construction workers I work along with.
                        What is the big risk the NBA, MLB, and NFL players are taking that me and the many others who have had to work through the Pandemic?
                        I may just have a bad attitude, but it seems like they will have the safest environments to work in.
                        Acress to;
                        - facilities that will be kept immaculate
                        - Regular testing for themselves and all their fellow workers
                        - team physician’s

I was listening to a sports talk show today and i just don’t understand the risk i keep hearing about!
                        I am an essential worker but I am not front line customer service like a story worker.

IMO the difference between say a store worker and a sports player is this.

The store workers are exposed to more people who may be infected but have various forms of protective gear and shields in place.

The Sports players do not get the same level of risk in terms of number of potential exposures.... but they have less protective gear and shields in place.

Least I think this is the arguments in place.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                          This is a point I herd made this week.

Some sports coaches are in their 60s and some even in their 70s (Gregg Popovich is 71 for example). There are things people can do to make their immune system stronger but if these already older people have other health conditions than while their players may recover easily it may be something one of these elder coaches do not get through without perm damage.

Maybe they could remove the elder at risk people for 2020.

Comment

NFL informs teams training camp to open as scheduled

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-informs...n-as-scheduled

The NFL has advised teams that training camps are expected to begin as scheduled July 28 with rookies and selected players permitted to report earlier, league executive vice president, general counsel Jeff Pash said on a conference call Thursday.

The league held a virtual meeting with owners Thursday to address a number of topics, including training camps, 2020 season planning amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, "Inspire Change" social justice programs and workplace diversity.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters following the meeting that in addition to training camps opening as planned, the league's focus is to "get ready for games at our stadiums and to engage our fans both in stadiums and through our media partners." Goodell added that talks are ongoing with the NFLPA over specifics.

Earlier this month the NFL issued guidelines for protocols and procedures for when players could eventually return to team facilities. The guidelines need to be agreed to by the NFLPA, and NFL chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills later acknowledged that protocols are still being developed as the science around COVID-19 evolves.

Sills said Thursday that the league is setting up a "very ambitious testing program," but he added that "testing alone will not be sufficient to keep everyone healthy. It's vitally important to keep social distances and use masks when possible."

Battista: NFL will need to rely on players' actions to help stop spread of COVID-19
                            Among other topics discussed during Thursday's meeting was a new major NFL voting education and registration initiative. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the league is developing programs that will focus on education, registration and activation and working with the NFLPA, the Players Coalition and others (RISE, US Vote Foundation, etc.).

"Our goal is for everyone associated with the NFL to register to vote and vote and inspire others," NFL senior VP of social responsibility Anna Isaacson said. "… We all have a shared right and obligation to go vote."

In addition, NFL executive vice president of football ops Troy Vincent told reporters that all 32 teams will be given anti-racism training in July.

NFL owners also voted to tarp off seats in stadiums near the field to keep distancing between players, people on the sideline and fans, per Rapoport. Teams are permitted to sell the that space to advertisers

Comment

One thing I never thought of until I read someone's post in here is what about the draft ? If theres no season what's the draft order ? How can the league fairly decide the draft order if theres no season? Easy answer , they cant . That is one good reason to see the season go ahead. The coaches can disntance themselves from the players and coaches and trainers can wear masks .

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                                One thing I never thought of until I read someone's post in here is what about the draft ? If theres no season what's the draft order ? How can the league fairly decide the draft order if theres no season? Easy answer , they cant . That is one good reason to see the season go ahead. The coaches can disntance themselves from the players and coaches and trainers can wear masks .
                                Pretty sure it would remain the same draft order as last year. That makes the most sense to me.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X