Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarterback Rooms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I'd say there's a 50% chance he's the starter, and a 50% chance he's released after camp, or preseason, if that happens this year. I don't think he has any chance of staying on the team as anything other than the starter.

    It's a typical Pats move to take a flyer on an aging vet, they get a lot of credit from the media when it works out, but the media rarely mentions it again when it doesn't, and it seems like more often than not, the players don't end up working out.
    I really have little confidence in predicting the outcome. He could succeed, he could fail, he could tick the wrong folks off, he could get injured....it's all over the map for me. We know a lot about his personality and we know a lot about Belichick, and besides the actual playing aspect, the personality piece needs to be aligned and quickly.

    Comment


    • #17
      I guess it’s hard for me to not pay attention to my local sports media.

      What I heard today was pretty crazy. And it was this....

      With the Cam Newton signing, the Boston sports media feel that the Pats are now the class of the AFC. Here they go AGAIN!

      I called into a radio show and voiced my opinion that the Cam Newton signing was over the top. I mentioned that when he meets a top defense, he kinda folds. I asked how he fared against the 2015 Broncos defense. Crickets.

      At least they were willing to say that the NE defense was NEVER on par with the 2015 Denver Broncos defense. Thank God, because I was ready to battle that one out.

      Yes, he had an MVP season in 2015, but to declare him the best QB in the AFC???

      Come on? Isn’t that over the top?
      Last edited by broncoslover115; 07-07-2020, 01:29 PM.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        I guess it’s hard for me to not pay attention to my local sports media.

        What I heard today was pretty crazy. And it was this....

        With the Cam Newton signing, the Boston sports media feel that the Pats are now the class of the AFC. Here they go AGAIN!

        I called into a radio show and voiced my opinion that the Cam Newton signing was over the top. I mentioned that when he meets a top defense, he kinda folds. I asked how he fared against the 2015 Broncos defense. Crickets.

        At least they were willing to say that the NE defense was NEVER on par with the 2015 Denver Broncos defense. Thank God, because I was ready to battle that one out.

        Yes, he had an MVP season in 2015, but to declare him the best QB in the AFC???

        Come on? Isn’t that over the top?
        I believe at one time Boston sports media bashed Cam constantly and now they are the class of the AFC because they have him What a joke!
        sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
        Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
        PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          I guess it’s hard for me to not pay attention to my local sports media.

          What I heard today was pretty crazy. And it was this....

          With the Cam Newton signing, the Boston sports media feel that the Pats are now the class of the AFC. Here they go AGAIN!

          I called into a radio show and voiced my opinion that the Cam Newton signing was over the top. I mentioned that when he meets a top defense, he kinda folds. I asked how he fared against the 2015 Broncos defense. Crickets.

          At least they were willing to say that the NE defense was NEVER on par with the 2015 Denver Broncos defense. Thank God, because I was ready to battle that one out.

          Yes, he had an MVP season in 2015, but to declare him the best QB in the AFC???

          Come on? Isn’t that over the top?
          Kind of funny that Chiefs have just paid 50 million per year for Mahomes, if the best QB in AFC could be had for 1 mill in guarantees and no one chose to sign the supposed future AFC MVP for four months.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
            I guess it’s hard for me to not pay attention to my local sports media.

            What I heard today was pretty crazy. And it was this....

            With the Cam Newton signing, the Boston sports media feel that the Pats are now the class of the AFC. Here they go AGAIN!

            I called into a radio show and voiced my opinion that the Cam Newton signing was over the top. I mentioned that when he meets a top defense, he kinda folds. I asked how he fared against the 2015 Broncos defense. Crickets.

            At least they were willing to say that the NE defense was NEVER on par with the 2015 Denver Broncos defense. Thank God, because I was ready to battle that one out.

            Yes, he had an MVP season in 2015, but to declare him the best QB in the AFC???

            Come on? Isn’t that over the top?
            Of course, it's insanely over the top. But so is trying to call the Patriots QB room as the best in the AFC.

            They've got a QB who was at his best 5 years ago, and who literally no one wanted to sign until the Pats offered him a deal. They've got a career backup who has bounced around the league (this is his 10th team since 2009, counting each of his 3 stops in New England as a new team) and has proven to be a horrible starter, and a mediocre backup...who's best season was also 5 years ago. And a 4th round pick from last year, who they're so confident in that they've now brought in two veterans to win his job.

            If they really want to look for the best QB rooms in the AFC they would go to the teams with the best starting QBs, those are the best QB rooms. Because if you have a great backup QB you're unlikely to have a great starter (why else would you keep a great backup and not trade him for assets that could start?) and with almost every team in the league, if your backup QB goes in, you're not expected to win that game. So the best QB rooms in the AFC begin and end with KC and Houston, then there's some dropoff and there's Baltimore, and then a drop-off and everyone else.

            Comment


            • #21
              After Elway retired, we were guilty of thinking Griese (and successors) could step in and have similar results. It took years and Shanny being fired to get over that idea. Then we repeated it with Manning, talking ourselves into believing he was such a shell of himself that a 7th rounder could do just as well. I think Pats fans are in for a rude awakening.

              Meanwhile, I like what I've seen from Lock. He's certainly the most promising QB we've had since Manning. We'll know a lot more once he's been through a full season, but certainly ranking near the bottom of the league is unwarranted.

              Comment


              • #22
                Cam Newton has been a good QB in the NFL. He's had a winning record three of his nine seasons and has had some injury problems the past few years. The Patriots were smart to sign him and it tells us what they might think about Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer (e.g., one is a backup and the other isn't ready) There are two other QBs in their room (i.e., Brian Lewerke and J'Mar Smith) Sounds like the quantity approach in the hopes of being able to find the guy.

                Cam has a personality which some question how it fits with Belichick and the Pats' way of doing things. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Denver goes to NE in week five. Denver's D will need to hinder their rushing attack and put Cam in as many passing situations as possible. Denver's front seven this season looks similar to the one Cam faced in SB 50. It's the same story as any football game: score more points than your opponent. It will be interesting.

                In the end it doesn't matter whose QB room is better. What will matter is who has the better QB on the field.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Cam Newton has been a good QB in the NFL. He's had a winning record three of his nine seasons and has had some injury problems the past few years. The Patriots were smart to sign him and it tells us what they might think about Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer (e.g., one is a backup and the other isn't ready) There are two other QBs in their room (i.e., Brian Lewerke and J'Mar Smith) Sounds like the quantity approach in the hopes of being able to find the guy.

                  Cam has a personality which some question how it fits with Belichick and the Pats' way of doing things. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Denver goes to NE in week five. Denver's D will need to hinder their rushing attack and put Cam in as many passing situations as possible. Denver's front seven this season looks similar to the one Cam faced in SB 50. It's the same story as any football game: score more points than your opponent. It will be interesting.

                  In the end it doesn't matter whose QB room is better. What will matter is who has the better QB on the field.
                  Lewerke is probably not more then a camp body. he looked bad in college and the nfl is harder.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                    Unlike the Brady, Manning, Brees... who didn't have elite skills but excels between the ears, Cam seems to be the opposite.
                    wait...what?
                    sigpic

                    Hooray, beer!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                      wait...what?
                      Yeah I was scratching my head on that as well. I don’t remember with Brees but Brady and Manning were highly recruited out of high school and a very big deal on talent. I believe Brady under achieved at Michigan which is why he dropped in the draft. But the man has talent.

                      I also don’t really agree with him that Cam was overrated. He was at the top of the league in 2015 and then started struggling with Injuries quite frequently the last several years and Carolina lost a lot of the team talent. Doesn’t make him over rated.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Unfortunately, I think Pats fans are just going to be replaced by KC fans as the smack-talking, uber dominant franchise for the next decade or two. At least Kansas/Missouri folk have manners and are actually loyal, as they've always loved their team... so, maybe they'll take all their winning more in stride than the pats fans.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          I'd say there's a 50% chance he's the starter, and a 50% chance he's released after camp, or preseason, if that happens this year. I don't think he has any chance of staying on the team as anything other than the starter.

                          It's a typical Pats move to take a flyer on an aging vet, they get a lot of credit from the media when it works out, but the media rarely mentions it again when it doesn't, and it seems like more often than not, the players don't end up working out.
                          I agree....flip a coin. I say he will play some games at the beginning but I think by mid season if not before a Cam-circus will develop and he ends up on the bench and the show will be over. My guess is a mess in bean town.
                          Utah Bronco Freak

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                            Unfortunately, I think Pats fans are just going to be replaced by KC fans as the smack-talking, uber dominant franchise for the next decade or two. At least Kansas/Missouri folk have manners and are actually loyal, as they've always loved their team... so, maybe they'll take all their winning more in stride than the pats fans.
                            The chiefs fans can talk all the trash they want this coming season. Their team, however, will be playing for AFC West second place.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I'm a big Lock fan, but after that I don't see any depth at all. I don't see anything in Driskel that makes me feel he shouldn't be one of the lowest rated backup QB in the NFL. I think Sloter has better "credentials" than Driskel. IMO it's pretty obvious our front office doesn't want to have any QB controversy at all. But if Lock misses games for any reason I have zero confidence in Driskel to be able to win games other than in a surprise QB run offense, until the Ds saw it one time. I think this year more than any other in history needs to consider backups at all positions.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                It was only a matter of time. Sloter is still a FA for a reason, Kliff Kingsbury reportedly wanted him to stay before he signed with the Lions and now he won’t let go of Chris Streveler or Drew Anderson for him. And those aren’t the names of my neighbors surprisingly enough. They are actual QBs on the Cardinals roster.

                                There will be QBs cut during training camp. Driskell is no guarantee to stick on the roster.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X