Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyousukeneko
    replied
    Hopefully he gets paid. Simmons is straight ballin this game.

He is every where doing everything ints tfls. Having a super impressive game. Looking like a top 5 safety

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    The miscommunication with Jackson on the TD was horrible. Many people were upset over Harris pointing at others after giving up completions, he was usually pointing at Simmons. I had wondered if it was just Harris he didn’t communicate well with, even though it’s only 1 game, that wasn’t a good sign.

I won’t blame him for all the crossers over the middle though, Jewell was putting him in an impossible situation by biting so hard on the play action.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    But it's not a question they have to answer until February. Because of the Franchise Tag, and failing to reach a long term agreement before the July deadline, they're no longer allowed to agree to a long term contract until after the Super Bowl. In 15 games they'll know their answer, but until then, no decisions need to be made.
    I agree but disagree at the same time. If Simmons continues to play the way he is then he needs to be traded. We need to get something for him so that we are not just letting him walk out the door.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
    He has been that, for one season, and it's one game since he had a great year. We will see if he goes back to stacking inconsistent games like he did prior to 2019. The question really is though, do you pay elite money for just consistently "good" ? I wouldn't.
    But it's not a question they have to answer until February. Because of the Franchise Tag, and failing to reach a long term agreement before the July deadline, they're no longer allowed to agree to a long term contract until after the Super Bowl. In 15 games they'll know their answer, but until then, no decisions need to be made.

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    Originally posted by GMTD View Post
    I'll settle for consistently good with a ceiling of great. One indifferent game doesn't change that. Safety has to be one of the hardest positions to play. You make one of two slight mistakes, or misreads, and the team could be in a big hole.
    He has been that, for one season, and it's one game since he had a great year. We will see if he goes back to stacking inconsistent games like he did prior to 2019. The question really is though, do you pay elite money for just consistently "good" ? I wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• darryn16
    replied
    This will be one of the main storylines this year, and I thought it would be a good discussion thread. With Miller now gone, the man who "bet on himself" to earn something in excess of 15 million per year did not have a good start to repeating his 2019 campaign. Simmons looked more like the inconsistent pre-2019 safety against the Titans, and I think we will continue to see him be just good, with a ceiling of great, but not a game-breaker in any capacity.
    This will be interesting. Imagine if he did get a big new contract. Playing like he did last night would make me puke knowing he got paid......

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    This will be one of the main storylines this year, and I thought it would be a good discussion thread. With Miller now gone, the man who "bet on himself" to earn something in excess of 15 million per year did not have a good start to repeating his 2019 campaign. Simmons looked more like the inconsistent pre-2019 safety against the Titans, and I think we will continue to see him be just good, with a ceiling of great, but not a game-breaker in any capacity.
    I'll settle for consistently good with a ceiling of great. One indifferent game doesn't change that. Safety has to be one of the hardest positions to play. You make one of two slight mistakes, or misreads, and the team could be in a big hole.

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I would not be surprised if one of the reasons the deal did not get done before the deadline was the uncertainty of the salary cap. It was not until after the deadline they decided to spread the amount the cap will be lowered in 2021 over multiple years.

Leave a comment:

• TheAsianPA
    replied
    If Simmons has another good year, I think 15 million a year is going to be the floor of the contract talks.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    Baker was really good last year. Did they overpay? Well, not by much if he keeps playing like he has. I don't think there's a huge gap between Simmons and Baker right now. It's not like I can say, "Well Baker is clearly the better safety, so nobody will pay Simmons that kind of money." He'll at least get close to that. There are 5 guys in the league I would take over Simmons without thinking about it, and two of them signed last year for less than Baker did. I don't think Washington overpaid by much either, because I think Collins would be amazing in the right defense. Chicago apparently got a solid deal too. You think we've got problems, imagine what James, Adams, and Fitzpatrick are going to get.

Leave a comment:

• WYBRONCO
    replied
    I think last year was the first year the national media started realizing just how good Justin Simmons truly is. Even though Harris and Talib are CB's I think that attention they got caused most press to overlook Simmons. Budda Baker was very well known out of college and some of his Pro Bowl attention is because of that. I think Simmons is just as good as Budda Baker, though the Cards did overpay him.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Denver finally has an athletic safety who is also a playmaker. Sign this man to a long term deal, and pay him what he wants.

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Look Simmons is good is he Great? Not Yet. Can Be Yes. I look as this has to be a Show Me prove to me that you are just as good as a Steve Atwater or Dennis Smith or even T.J. Ward show me 1st that you are then you will get paid it is that simple. If you are just the 5th best in the League and not The Best then you get what you deserve.
    Good post! Dare I say it but it could also turn out that Simmons is a product of Fangios system.

However his leadership qualities set him somewhere in the top 3 in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Look Simmons is good is he Great? Not Yet. Can Be Yes. I look as this has to be a Show Me prove to me that you are just as good as a Steve Atwater or Dennis Smith or even T.J. Ward show me 1st that you are then you will get paid it is that simple. If you are just the 5th best in the League and not The Best then you get what you deserve.
    Those 3 were all big hitting strong safety types. Simmons is a middle of the field, free safety. So I'm not sure those comparisons really fit. Also Atwater was a HOF player, Dennis Smith was a ring of famer. Ward was a good, not great safety who excelled as part of a very talented defensive group. So I'm not sure he fits with those other 2.

As for Simmons, we should be hoping that he becomes a truly great safety, and he's trending that way. To me when a younger player is amongst the best in the league already (second team All Pro in 2019) and is trending up, that's when you take the leap and sign them to a contract.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X