3-4 defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4 defense

what do you guys think about the broncos switching to a 3-4 defense, such teams that run this style of dfense have excellent defenses without many big name players, teams such as: new england, pittsburg, san diego, and baltimore. I think this conversion would help the broncos immensely, allowing us to have more blitz packages and make it easier on our DB's in coverage. whay do u guys think?

Originally posted by wizkid31
    what do you guys think about the broncos switching to a 3-4 defense, such teams that run this style of dfense have excellent defenses without many big name players, teams such as: new england, pittsburg, san diego, and baltimore. I think this conversion would help the broncos immensely, allowing us to have more blitz packages and make it easier on our DB's in coverage. whay do u guys think?
    Not bad at all but we have to make sure we the right players to perfect something like that, but I have seen Coyer use that Scheme once or twice throughout every game this season so its not out of the question!

Comment

Hey, I just made a bit of a case for the 3-4 in the offseason forum, in the thread called "the importance of being reggie", i like the idea myself.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
      ABWRFRC

Comment

Outside Linbackers: D.J. Williams, Patrick Chukwurah
        Middle Linebackers: Al Wilson, Terry Pierce
        Defensive Ends: Trevor Pryce, Ellis Johnson
        Nose Tackle: Draft one or get one through FA

Depth at LB is needed if the Broncos wish to change to a 3-4

Comment

I like the idea of a 3-4 so much, I think i'm gonna start another thread on it maybe on Wednesday or Thursday.

Comment

The 3-4 Sounds great, just a lil worried about the change. We do have success running the 4-3. This may take time to perfect and gettin the right players for the job. I mean, its not like the 4-3 isnt workin. We are ranked 6th in overal defense. I think we just need to work on our d-line. The qb's we played against had a lot of time to throw.

Comment

Originally posted by ttejuco

Pryce will never be the same as he was, age and injury takes it toll. Johnson is not a DE and we would have to completely revamp the DL, add several DT or in this case several NT 6'2" 325-340 type players. You can't ask them to play the entire game. Since DT are very hard to find not sure what magic wand your gonna wave to find them.

3-4 is not gonna happen in DEN in the foresee able future. At least not full time. Thye may do something from time to time for blitz packages but we do have the men to handle it.

Comment

Thread has already been discussed. Oh well, things will never change. But it's a good idea.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                2. Taxes
                3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by ttejuco

i like this idea but luther elliss can play NT we dont need to put a rookie there, the double team would most likely come pryce's way not luther's

and we have depth at LB, thats why the idea of switching to 3-4 is so interesting. spragan and sykes would be the backups, and we know they are good enough to call on if needed, and if we took a multiple hit at the LB position we could always go back to 4-3
                  dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I dont think it is a bad idea, but we would have to get a big nt to play, kinda like when keith traylor was here. Plus that would mean having to get more depth at ILB and DT aswell. If we didnt get that i dont think it would work. Look at the Pats they have wilfork and traylor 2 huge dt's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton

Pryce will never be the same as he was, age and injury takes it toll. Johnson is not a DE and we would have to completely revamp the DL, add several DT or in this case several NT 6'2" 325-340 type players. You can't ask them to play the entire game. Since DT are very hard to find not sure what magic wand your gonna wave to find them.

3-4 is not gonna happen in DEN in the foresee able future. At least not full time. Thye may do something from time to time for blitz packages but we do have the men to handle it.
                      Pryce claims to be at 100% and even stronger than he was before, and if you believe age takes its toll, Pryce is only turning 30 and look at the Patriots NT Keith Traylor is 36 years old!!! and look he solidifies a great defence. Yes Ellis Johnson is not a DE but it isnt that hard to move a small DT into a DE in a 3-4 defence because DE's in a 3-4 are normally there to take up space and not really rush the passer. Richard Seymour is over 300 pounds as a DE. Yes NT's are hard to find but not impossible possibly a late round pick for Anthony Bryant out of Alabama in the draft or Albert Means of Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by wizkid31
                        Just switching to a 3-4 wont propel us into a Championship team. Yes its worked for those other teams but doesn't mean its right for the Broncos. The biggest weakness of a 3-4 is that its suspectible to teams that can run right at it. Also you need a NT who will command a double team and is capable of playing to two gaps instead of just one. There really aren't that many DTs capable of doing that.
                        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

NT= is not nessasarily a 330+lbs guy

Its a guy that can control the line, C.Griffin on the redskins when he was a giat he was a NT for that one year they ran 3-4

Nt is a guy that is a good strong DT and that can stop to gaps...Thats what a NT needs to be able to do.

And if we were really considering running a 3-4 we just released D.Holland he was 335??? and he would have been a good DT but Luther can play NT if we switch

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton

I agree. We don't have the personell on the line to make the 3-4 work. Next to Baltimore, we've got the most talented LB corps in the NFL and it would be nice to get more of them on the field but it won't happen any time soon. If ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
                              I agree. We don't have the personell on the line to make the 3-4 work. Next to Baltimore, we've got the most talented LB corps in the NFL and it would be nice to get more of them on the field but it won't happen any time soon. If ever.

I agree but....We have a better D-Line than the ravens and they run the 3-4 just fine

Comment

Working...
                              X