Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JaWuan James has opted out per source. Broncos lose RT for year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    How much of his cap hit from 2020 will we save and be able to roll over to 2021?

Iirc the players that opt out get a $160K stipend that is deducted from their salary next year. So basically moving the contract forward one year.

Broncos obligated to pay him for two more years after this. Broncos can only hope he returns healthy and ready to finally earn his “ highest paid RT” salary.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    It will be 19M to cut him, 13M to keep him on the roster. I think it is only practical to keep him on the roster to lessen the cap hit by 6M. If he plays well, great... if he is more of the same, he might as well be put on IR so he doesn't hold a roster spot. For 2022 he still has 6M dead money hit or 14M on the roster.
    How much of his cap hit from 2020 will we save and be able to roll over to 2021?

Leave a comment:

• brianmcfarlane
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Perhaps James opted his way out of Denver?
    It will be 19M to cut him, 13M to keep him on the roster. I think it is only practical to keep him on the roster to lessen the cap hit by 6M. If he plays well, great... if he is more of the same, he might as well be put on IR so he doesn't hold a roster spot. For 2022 he still has 6M dead money hit or 14M on the roster.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Maybe after next year.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I have considered this...he has a huge cap hit if we release him in 2021....we did save some cap space this year when James opted out and we can roll it to next year to deal with the cap hit of releasing him.

We will see....

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post

It’s being reported that the Broncos are expected to sign him pending a physical.
    I have spent some time researching this morning and I feel better now than when we had James.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post

It’s being reported that the Broncos are expected to sign him pending a physical.
    I have spent some time researching this morning and I feel better now than when we had James.

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Was reading a bit about Dotson. Seems like a decent choice from what was left in free agency.

Good size and athleticism. Consistently average or better grades. Part of a top 10 Bucs oline ( even though he was the one waived) that protected a QB that liked to hold the ball too long but still threw a lot of deep routes.

Looks like he plays a lot of snaps, gives up about 3 sacks and gets called for 10 holds a year.

Overall not a bad OT addition if he plays similar and of course he is actually signed.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    And he collected $17M cash from us last year. That's $269,841.26 per snap.
    I'll block a sedan for $269, 841.00 per rep.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    To be fair to James he played THREE games in 2019, so its unfair to expect him to do any work until at least next September. Its nice that he can sit on his butt for 2 years while collecting millions. Surely he deserves nothing but respect for this brave and courageous decision, you could even say he's a hero lol
    James started three games, but Wilkinson finished each one at RT.

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    To be fair to James he played THREE games in 2019, so its unfair to expect him to do any work until at least next September. Its nice that he can sit on his butt for 2 years while collecting millions. Surely he deserves nothing but respect for this brave and courageous decision, you could even say he's a hero lol

Leave a comment:

• L.M.
    replied
    I think we had to know that a tackle who played 63 snaps last year may be a reliability problem this year.

there were too many holes to fix them all in one year. I still think we had a good off season. Now we will see what the backup OT plan was.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    I think the year off may help James stay healthy. I believe his body isn’t built to sustain his weight and a year off (or half a year) of the olineman diet may could help. If he shows up around 300 he may be able to work himself back into the lineup.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    Interesting perspective on James. Not sure I agree.

James has proven to be less then committed to playing for multiple seasons now. Why are you assuming he is going to do all the behind the scenes grind of working out and preparing his body for another year? Will he be dedicated to returning or enjoying his time off too much for a year? He has to prove it.

As for the contract. I hate that it rolls over a year. Just keeps the Broncos on the hook for a guaranteed contract two more years before they can even buy him out. For a player with questionable dedication to his career choice.

Broncos have a desperate need to add a competitive OT. Even if Wilkenson be a dependable RT they still need a swing OT.

Let’s just hope Shurmur is working on his playbook emphasizing the rushing game, screens and TE protection on the edges.
    I'm assuming James is a "constant" whether he plays for us this season or next and all the concerns you bring up apply to both situations evenly. The difference is, a year may help James physically and it may even help him mentally to feel more confident. If not, we're in the exact same situation next year as we would have been this year. Either we break even or we come out ahead.

I think the biggest issue is even more concern about his dependability from coaches and teammates. My own concern was we were "OK" at tackles as long as nothing went wrong, and something went wrong. We didn't seem to have a Plan B. I feel the same way about CB this year. We're OK if nothing goes wrong but I don't see a Plan B and I see some pretty good chances of something going wrong.

BTW, I didn't assume, I used the phrase "I THINK the year off MAY help". Why would you think it has no chance of helping?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X