just rewatched the Mile High Debacle during quarantine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Everybody seems to love trashing Fox, because of his conservative approach to coaching, but you can't deny that he delivered on what Elway seemingly hired him for. He came in to fix the culture left behind by McDaniels, and he did exactly that. Of course he was along for the ride with Peyton. Dungy was along for the ride with Peyton. Doesn't make him a crappy coach. The Bears hired Fox for basically the same reason, and he did a solid job there as well.
    Fox deserves trashing - he did not fix the culture, as the succees the team had was not a result of planned strategy, and there was a lot of complaining. The culture was lousy during all the time where Orton started in 2011 being rewarded the starting job first day of training camp. There was a lot on noise during the 1-4 start, and it really did not seem like we had success as a team during the first 3 quarters during the rest of the season where we stuck with the Fox/McCoy plans.

What fixed the culture in 2011 was on the field when they began to win, and it is a pretty poor team that looses 5 times in a season allowing 40+ points. There is no need to give Fox too much credit for the failed "suck for Luck strategy".

Calling 14-34 a "solid" job is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Many here claim that he did so with an elite QB in Cutler. I think it is pretty telling that he has had 6 winning seasons out of 16 as a HC, and half came when he was along for the ride with Peyton.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
      Fox deserves trashing - he did not fix the culture, as the succees the team had was not a result of planned strategy, and there was a lot of complaining. The culture was lousy during all the time where Orton started in 2011 being rewarded the starting job first day of training camp. There was a lot on noise during the 1-4 start, and it really did not seem like we had success as a team during the first 3 quarters during the rest of the season where we stuck with the Fox/McCoy plans.

What fixed the culture in 2011 was on the field when they began to win, and it is a pretty poor team that looses 5 times in a season allowing 40+ points. There is no need to give Fox too much credit for the failed "suck for Luck strategy".

Calling 14-34 a "solid" job is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Many here claim that he did so with an elite QB in Cutler. I think it is pretty telling that he has had 6 winning seasons out of 16 as a HC, and half came when he was along for the ride with Peyton.
      Could not disagree more.

Winning certainly did not happen right away but the bleeding caused by McDaniels ended. Immeiately.

Fox may never be a next level coach that can push a team over the top but he brought in professionalism when the team needed it desperately.
      Last edited by Rastic; 08-17-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

Elite coach killer, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
          Could not disagree more.

Winning certainly did not happen right away but the bleeding caused by McDaniels ended. Immeiately.

Fox may never be a next level coach that can push a team over the top but he brought in professionalism when the team needed it desperately.
          I agree with this. We were a horrible team when Fox took over. Yea McD took us to a real low place but even Shanahan's last 3 years were without playoffs.

Fox got us learning how to win again and make the playoffs again even before PM. We needed a coach who would turn around the losing.

Just like we needed to replace Fox to get to the next level :lombardi:
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I hate that game, the refs screwed us so bad. When Dan Dierdorf and broncos hater all his life can't believe the calls against us you know there's a problem
            sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by dolphinsneu View Post
              It would have set up a Brady/Manning AFC championship in Denver again.

I am surprised the call I brought up was not mentioned on this site, nor in any other media outlet.

If it was a missed call, it certainly was the biggest one of the game.

Pass Interferences are judgement calls, and the key for good officiating is to be consistent for both teams.

For example, some refs will call a penalty as soon a defender grabs something. Other referees allow a grab if the defender releases in time and the receivers ability to make a play on the ball is not significantly affected.
              The Ravens got away with several pi penalties. The one you’re mentioning probably just got lumped into the pile.
              You Mad Bro?

Comment

Working...
              X