No announcement yet.

Jake Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butts looking pretty toned out there, tightening his game.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Consensus seems to be that Fant, Vannett and Okwuegbunam are locks. After that, it's how many TEs will be on the roster. That depends on how often formations using more than one TE (e.g., 12, 22 personnel) are contemplated by Pat Shurmur. Fant and Albert O are good receivers, so if they are on the field at the same time, it doesn't detract from the passing attack.

Beck is interesting because he had about 23% of the offensive snaps last year mostly at the Fullback position (I/offset I) or off receiver (Wing/H-Back) and played in about 46% of the STs snaps. That was in Scangarello's O last year, but it has been reported that Shurmur has used two-back formations in practice with Beck at Fullback/20 back. Practice video this week showed the TEs doing Wingback blocking drills. I doubt if Harman would have them practice something Shurmur doesn't expect to use. Beck seems the most suited to be Wing and is a decent receiver while Vannett seems more of a Y. DCs send in personnel based on what offensive personnel are in. Beck's presence might be confusing. Would he count as a TE or a Back? It might make a difference for some defenses.

Troy Fumagalli might end up being odd man out. It sounds like Jake Butt is having a better camp than him. The real question about Jake is can he beat out Fumagalli and Beck if Denver keeps four TEs? Or, can Jake play so well that they decide to keep five TEs? No one knows more about Jake's health and injury recovery status than Denver's training staff. That will inform the decision.
      I think Fant/Albert O/Vannett/Beck are our top four TE's. I think Shurmur can do anything he wants to do with those four guys. You are basically looking at everything else you could possibly want to put on the field with a WR/RB/QB in that group, as far as the ball handlers go. If another TE has some kind of incredible camp and there is room on the roster at the end of the day then I could see them keeping a 5th guy if they want to. But it would be a luxury spot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
        I think Fant/Albert O/Vannett/Beck are our top four TE's. I think Shurmur can do anything he wants to do with those four guys. You are basically looking at everything else you could possibly want to put on the field with a WR/RB/QB in that group, as far as the ball handlers go. If another TE has some kind of incredible camp and there is room on the roster at the end of the day then I could see them keeping a 5th guy if they want to. But it would be a luxury spot to me.
        12 personnel with Sutton at X and Jeudy at Z in slot on left, and Vannett Y, Beck Wing on right with Lock under C and Gordon/Lindsay at Tailback depth would be an issue the D would need to address, because it's a very strong run formation on the right with the best receivers on the left. It's a balanced formation with 5 1/2 on each side of the ball. A puller to the right changes the strength and could force D to adjust. The run threat sets up PAP/Boot/Counter.
        Last edited by samparnell; 08-29-2020, 09:37 PM.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

If healthy I can see Butt as the best combo TE we have and won't tip the O's tendency to run or pass. I'll guess that we have a couple of TEs and a couple of WRs competing for the same roster spot. It may be more a question of Butt vs Winfrey for example. Practice squad eligibility could be a factor too. In case of a "tie" keep the player(s) without it and put the other(s) on the PS.

Edit: By "best combo" I don't mean best overall TE, only that he seems equally skilled at blocking and catching whereas Fant, AOK and Vannett being good at one or the other.

Comment

12 personnel with Sutton at X and Jeudy at Z in slot on left, and Vannett Y, Beck Wing on right with Lock under C and Gordon/Lindsay at Tailback depth would be an issue the D would need to address, because it's a very strong run formation on the right with the best receivers on the left. It's a balanced formation with 5 1/2 on each side of the ball. A puller to the right changes the strength and could force D to adjust. The run threat sets up PAP/Boot.
            Mmmhmmmm. What's the Safety going to do? Pick your poison. Whatever choice he makes...he's wrong.

Comment

Looks like Butt has made it. Now we can unleash the dreaded unstoppable 5TE formation. Fant/OK/Butt lined up as XYZ and Vannett/Beck staying in for pass pro...or maybe they don't. You'll never know. That's why it's so dangerous. Yeah, I'm just talking crap but now I kind of want to see it done at least once.

*Upon Edit: TE screen game in a 5TE formation?

Comment

Looks like Butt has made it. Now we can unleash the dreaded unstoppable 5TE formation. Fant/OK/Butt lined up as XYZ and Vannett/Beck staying in for pass pro...or maybe they don't. You'll never know. That's why it's so dangerous. Yeah, I'm just talking crap but now I kind of want to see it done at least once.

Could be a goal line option. Massive targets for Lock to pass to and a possible QB draw option

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  Could be a goal line option. Massive targets for Lock to pass to and a possible QB draw option
                  Now I'm thinking of Beck actually carrying the ball, going in motion right before the snap.

Comment

Would be an interesting option for a string of no huddle plays.

Comment

Now I'm thinking of Beck actually carrying the ball, going in motion right before the snap.
                      As long as it’s not Fant lol

Comment

After all he's been through it's good to see Butt crack the 53 man roster...

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                          After all he's been through it's good to see Butt crack the 53 man roster...
                          Don't say crack; it's bad luck.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

"Butt" it's funny.

Comment

In a 5TE set if you line Fant and Albert O out wide at WR positions, and you keep Beck and Vannett close in near the tackles, will our Butt have enough wiggle to handle the slot?

Comment

Definitely would Dig to see this Formation.

Comment

Working...
                                X