Jake Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Butt

Coming out of College Jake Butt was a Tremendous Talent out of the University Of Michigan. A real Top Tier TE. Now that he is Finally Healthy and by all accounts Thriving this Off Season and in Training Camp What do you think his Chances Are Making This Team. Now I do know that Noah Fant is the Starting Team and the Team we out and signed Free Agent Varnett ( Not To Big On Him ) to a Big Contract Does Denver Keep Jake. I for one would like to Keep Jake and I would love to Jake making a ton of plays for Denver However the TE Room is Packed With the likes of Austin Fort ( I am also in his corner and Beck FB/TE who does Denver Keep at the TE Position?

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Coming out of College Jake Butt was a Tremendous Talent out of the University Of Michigan. A real Top Tier TE. Now that he is Finally Healthy and by all accounts Thriving this Off Season and in Training Camp What do you think his Chances Are Making This Team. Now I do know that Noah Fant is the Starting Team and the Team we out and signed Free Agent Varnett ( Not To Big On Him ) to a Big Contract Does Denver Keep Jake. I for one would like to Keep Jake and I would love to Jake making a ton of plays for Denver However the TE Room is Packed With the likes of Austin Fort ( I am also in his corner and Beck FB/TE who does Denver Keep at the TE Position?
    Austin Fort is out for the season, I believe. Depends on how many on O and at each position make the roster. If Butt and Beck make the team, sounds like 5 TEs to me. That would probably result in 6 WRs, 9 OL, 3 RBs and 2 QBs.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Austin Fort is out for the season, I believe. Depends on how many on O and at each position make the roster. If Butt and Beck make the team, sounds like 5 TEs to me. That would probably result in 6 WRs, 9 OL, 3 RBs and 2 QBs.
      I would be down with that !!

Comment

Tough to say for sure, I think he has about a 43% chance of staying on the team throughout the season.

With no preseason games there will be little wiggle room to try and IR stash guys like we usually do. It also limits trade value which I think will eventually happen to Butt. I think Beck is pretty set at FB, Vannett is likely a lock as well as Fant and big O. That leaves one spot between Butt and Fumagalli (and maybe a few others?). Fumagalli was drafted more recently than Butt and has similar upside without the long term problems that multiple knee injuries bring, not that he hasn’t had his own issues with injuries. It could go either way.

Comment

I’d love to see Butt come out of nowhere and crack the lineup. All puns intended.

Seriously, though, it would be great if Butt could reach his potential. It’s difficult to get passed his injury history. Still, the more young talent we can field, the better.

I personally think Fant, AO, Vannet
          sigpic

Comment

Oops. Fat fingered the post button.

Anyway, I think those 3 are shoe ins. Of the rest, I’m not too picky as long as the overall roster makes sense. I’m a Beck fan, so that’s a bummer.

Butt outplaying the competition and making the team would be a good thing imo.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
              Oops. Fat fingered the post button.

Anyway, I think those 3 are shoe ins. Of the rest, I’m not too picky as long as the overall roster makes sense. I’m a Beck fan, so that’s a bummer.

Butt outplaying the competition and making the team would be a good thing imo.
              Butts talent has never really been questioned. It has always been his injuries that have been disappointing.

I would think it would be a tough call to keep him on the roster considering the injuries. Can you rely on that knee to hold up? One hit from being on IR again? Especially because that is the hit that TEs take after a catch. No avoiding it, just a matter of when.

Would love to see him make the team and contribute all season. But I would also have a strong backup plan if I made that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                Butts talent has never really been questioned. It has always been his injuries that have been disappointing.

I would think it would be a tough call to keep him on the roster considering the injuries. Can you rely on that knee to hold up? One hit from being on IR again? Especially because that is the hit that TEs take after a catch. No avoiding it, just a matter of when.

Would love to see him make the team and contribute all season. But I would also have a strong backup plan if I made that choice.
                His injury history is a big concern, of course. Injury aside, I think the top 3 will get the lion’s share of the reps anyway. If we keep 5, then the last 2 would be sprinkled in. Sounds like Beck might be down for the count. I’m guessing it will be Fumagali and whoever wins out between Fort and Butt. I liked Fort in the PS last year, so I wouldn’t count him out.

We’ll see how it shakes down. Hey don’t have real high hopes for Butt. I would like to see a risky draft pick pay off, though.
                sigpic

Comment

I feel bad for the guy. Three seasons, 8 receptions and 85 yards. Injuries have not been fair to him, but unfortunately the future is very questionable.

Comment

Consensus seems to be that Fant, Vannett and Okwuegbunam are locks. After that, it's how many TEs will be on the roster. That depends on how often formations using more than one TE (e.g., 12, 22 personnel) are contemplated by Pat Shurmur. Fant and Albert O are good receivers, so if they are on the field at the same time, it doesn't detract from the passing attack.

Beck is interesting because he had about 23% of the offensive snaps last year mostly at the Fullback position (I/offset I) or off receiver (Wing/H-Back) and played in about 46% of the STs snaps. That was in Scangarello's O last year, but it has been reported that Shurmur has used two-back formations in practice with Beck at Fullback/20 back. Practice video this week showed the TEs doing Wingback blocking drills. I doubt if Harman would have them practice something Shurmur doesn't expect to use. Beck seems the most suited to be Wing and is a decent receiver while Vannett seems more of a Y. DCs send in personnel based on what offensive personnel are in. Beck's presence might be confusing. Would he count as a TE or a Back? It might make a difference for some defenses.

Troy Fumagalli might end up being odd man out. It sounds like Jake Butt is having a better camp than him. The real question about Jake is can he beat out Fumagalli and Beck if Denver keeps four TEs? Or, can Jake play so well that they decide to keep five TEs? No one knows more about Jake's health and injury recovery status than Denver's training staff. That will inform the decision.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Consensus seems to be that Fant, Vannett and Okwuegbunam are locks. After that, it's how many TEs will be on the roster. That depends on how often formations using more than one TE (e.g., 12, 22 personnel) are contemplated by Pat Shurmur. Fant and Albert O are good receivers, so if they are on the field at the same time, it doesn't detract from the passing attack.

Beck is interesting because he had about 23% of the offensive snaps last year mostly at the Fullback position (I/offset I) or off receiver (Wing/H-Back) and played in about 46% of the STs snaps. That was in Scangarello's O last year, but it has been reported that Shurmur has used two-back formations in practice with Beck at Fullback/20 back. Practice video this week showed the TEs doing Wingback blocking drills. I doubt if Harman would have them practice something Shurmur doesn't expect to use. Beck seems the most suited to be Wing and is a decent receiver while Vannett seems more of a Y. DCs send in personnel based on what offensive personnel are in. Beck's presence might be confusing. Would he count as a TE or a Back? It might make a difference for some defenses.

Troy Fumagalli might end up being odd man out. It sounds like Jake Butt is having a better camp than him.
                      The real question about Jake is can he beat out Fumagalli and Beck if Denver keeps four TEs? Or, can Jake play so well that they decide to keep five TEs? No one knows more about Jake's health and injury recovery status than Denver's training staff. That will inform the decision.
                      I've heard pretty much the same thing that Butt has outplayed Fumagalli in camp so far.

Comment

Honestly I would Keep Fant, O, and Butt I am and Fugi I am not sold on Varnett Honestly I have not clue why they even signed him.

Comment

Fant is on the roster for sure. I think Varnett's contract keeps him on the roster.

The battle after that is going to be interesting. I personally would go AO then Beck than Butt.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I think Vannett is going to be a sneaky good signing.

He has a role as the experienced pro in the room filled with inexperienced TEs and a rep as a pretty good blocker at TE. Considering the OT situation having an extra blocker may be used more then we think.

Solid background as a multiple year starter at Ohio St and then more solid coaching , team culture and 55 games of experience with Seahawks and Steelers.

IMO he should be a lock for a roster spot too.

Comment

NFL is a mens league. NCAA kids can still hang on. Things change and dont transition into the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X