No announcement yet.

Von Miller potentially out for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Broncos have looked at several other veteran solutions at outside linebacker but wanted to make sure that had someone that knows the scheme.

Also vested vets on roster in week 1 get salary guaranteed all year. If they do go vet, probably next week at earliest.

Allbright
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
      Per league source: #Broncos have brought OLB Isaiah Irving in. He has to clear COVID protocols and a physical. Intent is to sign him to the practice squad on Saturday.

He has two years experience with Fangio in Chicago.

Allbright
      Who? 10char
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Denver expressed interest in signing former Rams’ and Packers’ LB Clay Matthews, but was told he is “not going to play,” per source. Matthews would have been a strong replacement for the injured Von Miller.

Schefter

I like the idea of Ziggy Ansah
        Not so fast.

In a statement to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Matthews' agent, Ryan Williams, rebutted the report, stating that the 34-year-old is interested in signing in the right situation.

"We recently had communication with the Broncos, as we have with other teams during the offseason," Williams said in the statement. "We were under the impression that communication would remain private, but since it did not, let me be clear: We were unable to come to an agreement with Denver, but Clay remains open to playing in the NFL in 2020, provided it's the right opportunity for him and his family."

Perhaps Denver wasn't where Matthews wants to play in 2020. More likely, John Elway wasn't offering enough money to entice the veteran linebacker.

The Los Angeles Rams cut Matthews earlier this offseason but still owe him a $2 million bonus. Any deal he signs would offset portions of that $2 million. So, if the Broncos – or any other team -- weren't offering more than $2 million, he'd essentially be playing for free.
        https://www.nfl.com/news/clay-matthe...o-playing-2020

The money thing is interesting speculation.

My opinion is he probably wants to play for a team likely to be contending for a Super Bowl
        Last edited by Hadez; 09-10-2020, 11:14 AM.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

His agent said he is willing to play in the right situation
          That's what I read....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgdhp

The Broncos inquired on veteran edge rusher Clay Matthews after losing Von Miller to injury, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (on Twitter). According to a league source, the Broncos were informed that Matthews is “not going to play.” However, that’s not quite the case. Agent Ryan Williams says he was “unable to come to an agreement with Denver,” but his client “remains open to playing in the NFL in 2020, provided it’s the right opportunity for him and his family” (Twitter link via Mike Garafolo of NFL.com).

Hope we are not being too tight with our cash. Then again, Clay may not be in a panic to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            That's what I read....

The Broncos inquired on veteran edge rusher Clay Matthews after losing Von Miller to injury, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (on Twitter). According to a league source, the Broncos were informed that Matthews is “not going to play.” However, that’s not quite the case. Agent Ryan Williams says he was “unable to come to an agreement with Denver,” but his client “remains open to playing in the NFL in 2020, provided it’s the right opportunity for him and his family” (Twitter link via Mike Garafolo of NFL.com).

Hope we are not being too tight with our cash. Then again, Clay may not be in a panic to play.
            I just heard that the Broncos have $30 million in cap room, so if money is the issue there's no reason it should be unless Matthews is asking for a king's ransom.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              I just heard that the Broncos have $30 million in cap room, so if money is the issue there's no reason it should be unless Matthews is asking for a king's ransom.
              I bet they're trying to get enough for Simmons next contract as well as a vet OT/OLB
              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                Ryan kerrigan and Vic Beasley are a couple of guys on the trade block that could be good options? Regardless of what we all think of our backups we do need to add some depth now
                Vic Beasley isn’t on the trade block, for what it’s worth...

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  That's what I read....

Clay took the unusual step of correcting a reporter directly on Twitter. He's definitely available for the right price:

Clay Matthews III (@ClayMatthews52) Tweeted:
                  I NEVER said this @AdamSchefter! We recently had communication with the Broncos but were unable to come to an agreement 🐀🐀 https://twitter.com/ClayMatthews52/s...206496258?s=20

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    https://www.nfl.com/news/clay-matthe...o-playing-2020

The money thing is interesting speculation.

My opinion is he probably wants to play for a team likely to be contending for a Super Bowl
                    That's my feeling as well. What's interesting here is that PFT (Florio is a former lawyer) thinks Matthews may now lose part of his $2 million offset. The language of the contract says that he gets the money from the Rams as long as there's no viable offer for him to play. But because the Broncos offered him a viable contract offer and Matthews turned it down, the Rams may now be in the position to refuse to pay him whatever amount the Broncos offered, and instead owe him just the difference between the $2 million they owe him and whatever the Broncos offered him.

Comment

• I feel injuries and players getting hurt missing a lot of time is going to be common theme throughout the season for all NFL teams.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Denver already off to awful start with injury bug ugh... I hope it’s not one of those years were players can’t stay healthy.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                          I feel injuries and players getting hurt missing a lot of time is going to be common theme throughout the season for all NFL teams.
                          It'll be interesting to say. I don't remember there being more injuries in 2011 (nothing scientific, just my aging memory) during the other season with no offseason and a shortened training camp. Although in 2011 they did have preseason games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            It'll be interesting to say. I don't remember there being more injuries in 2011 (nothing scientific, just my aging memory) during the other season with no offseason and a shortened training camp. Although in 2011 they did have preseason games.
                            Yeah 2011 was so bad. I’m not big fan of preseason games but it helps out the players more getting ready and having none this year doesn’t help matters.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                              Yeah 2011 was so bad. I’m not big fan of preseason games but it helps out the players more getting ready and having none this year doesn’t help matters.
                              It's going to be some ugly, sloppy football early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                                It's going to be some ugly, sloppy football early.
                                Yeah rust will be a real issue. I think week 7-8 is when teams will start to find their groove and ceiling.
                                Last edited by Chillez; 09-10-2020, 03:46 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X