Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Von Miller potentially out for the year

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Talk about your heart sinking... I saw this late last night and my first thought was "Darn, I was really looking forward to at least seeing Von and Chubb at the same time again. Oh well.

    Given the oddity of this season, dealing with Covid, even before this I had a view of this season like the strike year was. It's football, but it's not 100% the real deal. Players are playing longer now, so I would like to believe that Von can come back next year still be a force, with Chubb on the other end. Just like when Ware came to us late in his career. This season is just one long developmental season. Our offense will grow,and we will fill needs, looking to next year when things should go at a normal pace. Denver will be stronger, and hopefully....... ownership will also be an issue resolved by then.

    Pull for Von to have a good recovery, and he will still lead during rehab. He has always been a reliable Bronco, on and more importantly, off the field. Business is business, but there are intangibles that go beyond the playing field that makes a player very valuable to the big picture. Von is that. Let's not talk or act like he is a problem. He is not, he is an asset.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
      Now that we know he is out for the season. The next question we should be asking: has Von played his last snap in Denver?

      He will be 32, coming off a big injury, and set to make $22 million in which only $4m is dead cap.

      Imo, I don’t see him being in Denver next year unless he takes a pay cut. Especially considering that he did exactly have the greatest year last year.
      They can't do a pay cut. They can't even do a deferment because it's the last year of the contract. They can try to do a short extension (like 1 year) and defer some of $22 million owed for 2021 towards the extension but there's virtually no incentive for Von to agree to that. Really there's no incentive for the Broncos to do it either since $4 million in dead cap by cutting Von is really nothing and will allow them to spend that money on more pressing needs.

      The only way they can actually slash his pay is if they were to cut him, let the free agency period play out, and hope he's still available at the start of training camp to re-sign.
      As that scenario is so improbable as to classify it as "never gonna happen", this question needs to be asked under the notion that Von's going to be due $22 million next season.

      So with that, the answer is of course no, the Broncos won't bring Von back at $22 million next year. I don't think that was going to happen before the injury unless Von had some kind of monster year and we made the playoffs. I love Von but the sad fact is he hasn't been impacting the game like he used to, he's going to be 32-years-old, and we've been a subpar team for 3 seasons with him more or less healthy and (presumably) still in his prime (albeit the tail end of that prime). Now that you add this injury to it...yeah, he's not coming back.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
        They can't do a pay cut. They can't even do a deferment because it's the last year of the contract. They can try to do a short extension (like 1 year) and defer some of $22 million owed for 2021 towards the extension but there's virtually no incentive for Von to agree to that. Really there's no incentive for the Broncos to do it either since $4 million in dead cap by cutting Von is really nothing and will allow them to spend that money on more pressing needs.

        The only way they can actually slash his pay is if they were to cut him, let the free agency period play out, and hope he's still available at the start of training camp to re-sign.
        As that scenario is so improbable as to classify it as "never gonna happen", this question needs to be asked under the notion that Von's going to be due $22 million next season.

        So with that, the answer is of course no, the Broncos won't bring Von back at $22 million next year. I don't think that was going to happen before the injury unless Von had some kind of monster year and we made the playoffs. I love Von but the sad fact is he hasn't been impacting the game like he used to, he's going to be 32-years-old, and we've been a subpar team for 3 seasons with him more or less healthy and (presumably) still in his prime (albeit the tail end of that prime). Now that you add this injury to it...yeah, he's not coming back.
        In terms of "he hasn't been impacting the game like he used to" what do you mean? Last season Miller faced the most attention he's ever had in his career after Chubb's injury. He still played at a high level against the run and pressuring the QB.
        Twitter: @CodyRoarkNFL Youtube: CodyRoarkNFL

        Comment


        • #79
          Obviously the loss of Von is a major blow to the team, to the defense, and to the morale of the team, but as cliche as it sounds -- the show must go on. At least for Week 1, the Broncos will run with Chubb, Attaochu, and Malik Reed. Reed is expected to start in his place, but the team will look at bringing somebody in. Whoever the team decides to bring it will not likely play Week 1 against the Titans. I have serious doubts that this is the last that Broncos fans will see Miller in a Broncos uniform, he isn't going to go out like this, not to mention he has a strong desire to finish his career with the same team that drafted him. I know many people will bring up his contract or that he may want too much money, but that's not where Von is operating from -- he's more focused right now about his legacy than money, and he's got money for life with his contract and endorsement deals. Simply put, Miller is the cornerstone of this franchise. Denver will have to get creative and adapt without his presence.
          Twitter: @CodyRoarkNFL Youtube: CodyRoarkNFL

          Comment


          • #80
            We may never see Von in a Broncos Uni ever again. Frustratingly sad. I really feel for the guy and this team, praying he makes a full recovery, my 2nd favorite Bronco of all time, really hope there is some way he can finish out here but that is highly unlikely.
            sigpic WHEC-724

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by CodyRoarkNFL View Post
              In terms of "he hasn't been impacting the game like he used to" what do you mean? Last season Miller faced the most attention he's ever had in his career after Chubb's injury. He still played at a high level against the run and pressuring the QB.
              We've been 5-11, 6-10, and 7-9 over the past 3 seasons with a (mostly) healthy Von. By his own admission and the consensus of the majority of analysts, last year was not a good year for Von. He's been called out by both Fangio and Elway over the last 2 years under the belief that he can do much better than he had been.

              So yeah, I don't think Von has had the impact some fans perceive him to have had. He is a ring-of-famer, a borderline hall-of-famer, one of the all-time Broncos greats. But he's not the same player he was 2011-2016.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #82
                Another thought do we bring back Todd Davis now?
                sigpic WHEC-724

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
                  Another thought do we bring back Todd Davis now?
                  I'd rather them try and bring in an "impact player" a la Clay Matthews versus a "steady hand" in Todd Davis. They need someone who can get them sacks and disrupt the backfield, even on a limited basis. Matthews is also declining and injury-prone but he had 8 sacks in just 13 games last year.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #84


                    Comment


                    • #85


                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                        I'd rather them try and bring in an "impact player" a la Clay Matthews versus a "steady hand" in Todd Davis. They need someone who can get them sacks and disrupt the backfield, even on a limited basis. Matthews is also declining and injury-prone but he had 8 sacks in just 13 games last year.
                        Im not worried about generating pressure Reed and Attaochu will fill in, Todd is respected in the locker room and already knows the teams playbook.
                        sigpic WHEC-724

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Then again maybe outside backer is more of a need with Chubb still on the mend, we just have not been able to catch any sort of break for 5 years in a row what so ever. My heart sank when I saw the news this morning.
                          sigpic WHEC-724

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            https://www.outkick.com/david-chao-m...y-this-season/

                            FWIW
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Still processing this bad news since hearing last night. Certainly a season setback before a game has even been played.

                              Wonder how the locker room is dealing with the loss of two team leaders in such a short time. They have to be reeling. Davis and Miller were the cornerstones and leaders. Now who steps up to fill the voids?

                              Still not thinking about the future or contracts. More focused on the “ now”. The Titan game a week away or the first four games of the season. How does the team respond?

                              Will be interesting to see if they choose to bring in a vet. Or simply rely on the young players already in place. As much as I like a good story, I’d feel a lot better with a Mathews type vet instead of Tuszka emerging from the practice squad next Thursday.

                              One week to figure it out and be ready for a tough opening night against a tough team wanting to make their own fast start to the season. A team energized by the addition of Clowney opposed to a team shocked by the losses of two leaders. Tough start. Go Broncos!!!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Here's my take on it...

                                This season isn't about wins-and-losses or making the playoffs. It's not about Von Miller and how great the defense could be. It's not about beating the Chiefs.

                                For me, this season is ALL about Drew Lock and whether he shows that he can be the franchise quarterback for this team for the next 15 years. Nothing else matters, at least this year IMO. If we're 6-10 or 7-9 but Lock throws for 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns, and the offense can score 24 or more points per game on average, then this season was a success for me. I know that this may mean I've lowered my expectations bar for this team but I just know deep down that if we can't stabilize the quarterback spot especially with Patrick Mahomes in our division then whatever success we may or may not have had this season is irrelevant.

                                Also, even before the injury I don't believe Von would have been back next year unless he did something TRULY special this season. So for me this just opens the door for us to move on sooner rather than later. It sucks because I was hoping for a bounce-back year for Von that may have made the conversation about keeping him for 2021 interesting. But that's all moot now.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X