No announcement yet.

Von Miller potentially out for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me crazy, but I don't think this is going to be that big of a blow? Vonn hasn't been that impact player we've seen in the past. Definitely one the team is going to feel but I have a gut feeling one of these guys sitting in the wing is going to step up and prove himself. That or John makes a move for someone like Ford, imo, we'll be ok. Still a lot of great defensive talent there

Comment

That was a positive read. I hope it holds some truth. Gosh, I wish Chubb was ready to go!
      Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

Comment

I saw this as well, so lets say hypothetically speaking that ends up being the case, and Von comes back for the final 5 or 6 games and ends up with 10 sacks would that justify his 22 mil salary next year? For me I would say it absolutely does.
        sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Ian Rapoport
          @RapSheet
          The specific diagnosis for #Broncos star Von Miller is a dislocated peroneal tendon, per me &
          @MikeGarafolo
          . Essentially, the tendon flipped over the ankle bone. Best option is usually surgery, with a general recovery time of 5-6 months. Absolute best-case scenario is 3 months.
          sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
            Call me crazy, but I don't think this is going to be that big of a blow? Vonn hasn't been that impact player we've seen in the past. Definitely one the team is going to feel but I have a gut feeling one of these guys sitting in the wing is going to step up and prove himself. That or John makes a move for someone like Ford, imo, we'll be ok. Still a lot of great defensive talent there
            They’ll miss his impact on the running game for sure. Vic will have to get creative to generate pressure although it’ll still be hard to replace. Von had a low sack total but still was 12th in QB pressures despite the low sack total. But Vic showed last season he doesn’t want to blitz if he doesn’t have to and I think the defense suffered because of it. But with Von out and Chubb not at 100% he will have to. Even though Casey is great and Harris can be too with Jones and Walker showing potential as well as Agim, we can’t rely on them by themselves.

All in all I think we’ll be fine pressuring QBs, but losing Miller opens a massive hole in our run defense that won’t be easily replaced. At least Vic won’t pull a Vance and move one of our young talented interior rushers to the edge and stunt their development.

Comment

Might be potential to see him play in December crossing my fingers.
              sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

So the good news is that the injury is supposedly not going to take a whole year to recover from, thankfully. These serious injuries to (somewhat) older players can be career-threatening, but with a 5-6 month timetable (best-case scenario being 3 months)— I have a feeling that Von should be able to bounce back from this injury pretty seamlessly. Should Denver rush Von back? Of course not. But by all signs it looks like he could easily be 100% by next season.
                2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                  So the good news is that the injury is supposedly not going to take a whole year to recover from, thankfully. These serious injuries to (somewhat) older players can be career-threatening, but with a 5-6 month timetable (best-case scenario being 3 months)— I have a feeling that Von should be able to bounce back from this injury pretty seamlessly. Should Denver rush Von back? Of course not. But by all signs it looks like he could easily be 100% by next season.
                  Unfortunately Von won't be here next season.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                    Unfortunately Von won't be here next season.
                    That is not fact only speculation....very real possibility but not fact.
                    sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

• Maybe he will be back for our playoff run this year

Comment

• Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
                        That is not fact only speculation....very real possibility but not fact.
                        It's very solid, very logical speculation. The probability he wouldn't be back existed well before the injury. This just compounds it.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Really hope Chubb can stay healthy. This is a big blow to our pass rush. Still excited to see what this team can do, but really can't afford to have any more injuries.
                          Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                            It's very solid, very logical speculation. The probability he wouldn't be back existed well before the injury. This just compounds it.
                            With the salary cap going down next season, it only makes the possibility of Von restructuring or an extension to lower his cap number even more likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              With the salary cap going down next season, it only makes the possibility of Von restructuring or an extension to lower his cap number even more likely.
                              You can't restructure the last year of a contract. I know there's a belief you can because it's talked about all the time, but that's a complete misunderstanding.

The options with Von are as follows:

1) Cut him, hope he decides not to sign anywhere else during free agency, and re-signs here at a substantial discount prior to training camp.

2) Try to spread the last year cap hit towards this year, which my understanding isn't feasible based on their current salary cap situation unless they release some players.

3) Extend him a year and spread 2021's salary to 2022.

Out of those options, #2 isn't possible and #3 provides Von no benefit because he can easily make $15 million for one season on the open market rather than stay here for 2021's owed money spread across 2 years. That leaves #1 as the most logical course the Broncos will take.

The Broncos have no history under Elway of re-signing players that are in similar or identical situations as Von. He's going to be 32-years-old, coming off a down year, and now a serious injury. And if they cut him, the Broncos will save $18 million that can go towards other needs on this team.

Again, this was the logical direction Von & the Broncos were going in 2 years ago. This injury situation just makes it worse.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                                You can't restructure the last year of a contract. I know there's a belief you can because it's talked about all the time, but that's a complete misunderstanding.

The options with Von are as follows:

1) Cut him, hope he decides not to sign anywhere else during free agency, and re-signs here at a substantial discount prior to training camp.

2) Try to spread the last year cap hit towards this year, which my understanding isn't feasible based on their current salary cap situation unless they release some players.

3) Extend him a year and spread 2021's salary to 2022.

Out of those options, #2 isn't possible and #3 provides Von no benefit because he can easily make $15 million for one season on the open market rather than stay here for 2021's owed money spread across 2 years. That leaves #1 as the most logical course the Broncos will take.

The Broncos have no history under Elway of re-signing players that are in similar or identical situations as Von. He's going to be 32-years-old, coming off a down year, and now a serious injury. And if they cut him, the Broncos will save $18 million that can go towards other needs on this team.

Again, this was the logical direction Von & the Broncos were going in 2 years ago. This injury situation just makes it worse.
                                2 is possible as James money for this season doesn’t count against our cap. There’s plenty to room to move a chunk of it to this season. Also 3 does benefit Von, what team would pay him 15 mil after a down year, a missed season and turning 32 all with the salary cap dropping? The Broncos have never been in this exact situation under Elway but there were some similarities to Manning and his reworked contract. He may not have been injured at that point but his play fell off a cliff. And while Champ Bailey wasn’t coming off an injury Elway did work out a 4 year deal with him at 32.

Edit: I forgot, Elway also signed DeMarcus Ware at 32 coming off a down year in which he dealt with back problems
                                Last edited by beastlyskronk; 09-09-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X