No announcement yet.

Von Miller potentially out for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's done in Denver, thanks for the chip my man.

Comment

• Sucks this couldn't have happened a month or two ago, not 6 days before we play. Hoping he can be back in 3-4 months assuming we make the playoffs

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
        2 is possible as James money for this season doesn’t count against our cap. There’s plenty to room to move a chunk of it to this season. Also 3 does benefit Von, what team would pay him 15 mil after a down year, a missed season and turning 32 all with the salary cap dropping? The Broncos have never been in this exact situation under Elway but there were some similarities to Manning and his reworked contract. He may not have been injured at that point but his play fell off a cliff. And while Champ Bailey wasn’t coming off an injury Elway did work out a 4 year deal with him at 32.

Edit: I forgot, Elway also signed DeMarcus Ware at 32 coming off a down year in which he dealt with back problems
        You're arguing both how no team will sign Von because of the issues in terms of his age, injury, and declining play, yet advocating that the Broncos somehow continue to spend $22 million on him? That doesn't make any sense.

If the Broncos can unload the contract and save themselves $18 million they should just do it. I love Von but this team has to start moving forward.

Also Manning's contract was restructured because there was still two years remaining on that contract, and this was done in the offseason.
        sigpic

Comment

• I'm hoping Von can come back this year. I also hope we make the playoffs and Von is back. I i feel if it is his last year like some of you speculate maybe he can go on another playoff run. He would no doubt be out to prove something or want to finish what he hoped to start this season. Imagine a come back story like that? Call me wishful thinking but this can't be how it ends for Miller on Denver, i refuse to believe that narrative nor do I want to accept it
          :go:

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            You're arguing both how no team will sign Von because of the issues in terms of his age, injury, and declining play, yet advocating that the Broncos somehow continue to spend $22 million on him? That doesn't make any sense.

If the Broncos can unload the contract and save themselves $18 million they should just do it. I love Von but this team has to start moving forward.

Also Manning's contract was restructured because there was still two years remaining on that contract, and this was done in the offseason.
            I’m arguing that the Broncos can bring Von back on a lower contract. I don’t buy into his declining play but the rest of the NFL would use that to drive his price down, if they believed it they wouldn’t be interested in bringing him in. Manning was restructured in the offseason, Von starts his offseason now with this year and next year remaining. Elway does contract negotiations in season so he can add a year or two and spread next years cap hit over multiple years.

The window for Lock is the next 3 years. We won’t be able to bring in a big name pass rusher through FA in that time and we won’t be drafting high enough to draft one that could match Von during that time. Bringing Von back at a lower rate and drafting someone to develop behind him makes more sense than cutting bait and throwing someone in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
              I’m arguing that the Broncos can bring Von back on a lower contract. I don’t buy into his declining play but the rest of the NFL would use that to drive his price down, if they believed it they wouldn’t be interested in bringing him in. Manning was restructured in the offseason, Von starts his offseason now with this year and next year remaining. Elway does contract negotiations in season so he can add a year or two and spread next years cap hit over multiple years.

The window for Lock is the next 3 years. We won’t be able to bring in a big name pass rusher through FA in that time and we won’t be drafting high enough to draft one that could match Von during that time. Bringing Von back at a lower rate and drafting someone to develop behind him makes more sense than cutting bait and throwing someone in there.
              With an $18 million savings they won't bring him back. Not after his declining play. Not after this injury. Not after calling him out as Fangio and Elway have for essentially under performing.

I understand optimism and I'm a pretty optimistic person but there's just no way with everything that's happened now and with that much savings they'll bring him back.
              sigpic

Comment

• I doubt this is the end for Von in Denver. It was a dislocation, not a ruptured tendon, so he should have a full recovery without lingering issues as Vic Fangio just mentioned. Von should be ready to go for 2021. They can adjust his contract, but I don't see the Broncos letting Von go when he just had a dominant camp according to all reports.

It's so unfortunate that this injury happened right after Ngakoue got traded, Hollins and waived [and claimed] and Clowney signed his deal.

Allbright mentioned Isaiah Irving as a possible depth signing, played for Fangio. I think Anthony Chickillo should also be in play, 5 seasons as a backup in Pittsburgh, so Mike Munchak must know him pretty well.

I'd like to see Tuszka on the 53. The guy was very productive in college and has a relentless style of play. He might surprise if given a chance. The lack of preseason games really hurt his chances to prove himself.

I've seen that Shane Ray seems to be in tremendous shape and he was working with Von, but he was not even invited to any camp and I guess that ship has sailed.
                sigpic

Comment

With an $18 million savings they won't bring him back. Not after his declining play. Not after this injury. Not after calling him out as Fangio and Elway have for essentially under performing.

I understand optimism and I'm a pretty optimistic person but there's just no way with everything that's happened now and with that much savings they'll bring him back.
                  Fangio and Elway have praised him this offseason. The injury shouldn’t effect once he recovers. The decline in play last season was just statistical, nothing that looked physical last season IMO.

18 million is a lot to save, but it’s a club option that the team never likely planned on picking up. His contract was always going to get reworked this season. The injury will only lower the cap value and with no realistic way of replacing him you almost have to bring him back especially if Chubb doesn’t bounce back from injury this season. Barrett will be too much, Judon probably doesn’t leave Baltimore, Dupree isn’t as good as Miller but will likely command a top dollar contract, Ngakoue likely resigns, and Ingram isn’t as good. The draft is pretty weak there as well, some good players but the best project as 4-3 DEs while the 3-4 OLBs project to be multi year projects or situational edge rushers.

Comment

• Off-topic:
                    Malik Reed (850K): 475 snaps, 2 sacks, 27 tkls (2021 RFA @ age 26)
                    Jeremiah Attaochu (1.44M): 187 snaps, 2 sacks, 10 tkls (2021 UFA @ age 28)
                    Joe Jones (825K): 0 snaps, 0 sacks, 4 tkls (2021 UFA @ age 27)

Shaquil Barrett's departure now hurts the Broncos even more. I'd like to see Reed fill Miller shoes so Denver can know if he's a viable starter for next year. Reed's RFA status for next year makes it a no brainer for me. Him or Tuszka!

On topic:
                    Like many on the board, I hope Miller recovers fully.
                    (And, I hope he takes a pay cut to stay with the team).

Comment

• The Chargers former team doctor, David Chao, was talking about this injury today, he had a player (Luis Castillo) suffer the exact same injury in week 9 of the season and was healthy and played in all 3 of the Chargers playoff games that year. That's 8-9 weeks. Others say best case scenario is 3 months.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...pdate-timeline

So there is some hope. And the new Covid inspired IR rules certainly help, Denver doesn't need to put him on permanent IR, nor do they have to worry about how many IR players they bring back hoping to be able to use one on him. Now he goes on the shorter term IR (Bruce Arians dubbed it the 21 day disabled list), he has to miss 3 weeks, which he obviously will, but then they can bring him back at any time, if he's healthy, without any hassles.

That will actually be a great rule for all medium term injuries this year. Hopefully it leads to the NFL permanently modernizing their IR rules, because they still aren't very good. It's one of the few areas the CFL has a clear advantage over the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        The Chargers former team doctor, David Chao, was talking about this injury today, he had a player (Luis Castillo) suffer the exact same injury in week 9 of the season and was healthy and played in all 3 of the Chargers playoff games that year. That's 8-9 weeks. Others say best case scenario is 3 months.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...pdate-timeline

So there is some hope. And the new Covid inspired IR rules certainly help, Denver doesn't need to put him on permanent IR, nor do they have to worry about how many IR players they bring back hoping to be able to use one on him. Now he goes on the shorter term IR (Bruce Arians dubbed it the 21 day disabled list), he has to miss 3 weeks, which he obviously will, but then they can bring him back at any time, if he's healthy, without any hassles.

That will actually be a great rule for all medium term injuries this year. Hopefully it leads to the NFL permanently modernizing their IR rules, because they still aren't very good. It's one of the few areas the CFL has a clear advantage over the NFL.
                        What year did this happen for Castillo, was he very young at the time? As we all know, age is everything especially for a guy north of 30

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                          What year did this happen for Castillo, was he very young at the time? As we all know, age is everything especially for a guy north of 30
                          younger, he got his contract that year. I posted his article here this morning, chao knows his stuff and is usually right.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                            As Baph said, Castillo was younger, 24 I believe. But the injury is a dislocation, not a tear, so Chao made it sound like a fairly easy surgery and then rehab. He used Castillo because he talked to him and got permission to mention his name, but he said there were a few others that took 3 months, but he couldn't name them because he hadn't yet talked to them for permission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondie79 View Post
                              There saying it was a freak injury so my guess is no
                              Well let's just say this. He got hurt the year he went all hulk on us and did that sand training stuff (ACL) and now he worked out a ton again and bulked up and messed up another ligament/tendon.

In my previous posts I quite literally called this out and said I was concerned that injuries would be a real concern. I was hoping I'd be wrong.

Dramatic and drastic changes to your body as a pro athlete are never a good thing unless you do something to reduce the wear on yourself. For example CJ Anderson played pretty well the season he lost some weight. It reduced the wear on his body.

I wish him well and hope he recovers quickly, safely and without any long term impact.

Comment

I do not believe Von really declined all that much. What we don't know as fans is if some of the changes in how Von does things are of his own doing (aka necessity or as you'd say it declining play) or as a result of coaching. We just don't know. What we do know is that when a bad year is nine sacks...that ain't bad. Clowney just got 12 million base off of a 3 sack season. So 18 mil for 9+ sacks is not a bad option for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X