X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flosstein
    Ring of Famer
    • Dec 2003

And to add salt to the wounds Vic cost the team $250k + his own $100k fine.......
    #swapping

Comment

• Butler By'Note
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      This is not so much about terrible coaching, rather something I was wondering about. The Steelers blitz more than any other team in The NFL, or so I believe, at an amazing %.....70% minimum as I recall.

So was the screen pass and draw play there for the taking? I know, The Steelers are a blitzing D, and a really good D at that, and perhaps they are so well trained that such plays are part of their blitz mix.
      First, Denver is horrible at running screens, they have been for several years, I'm not sure why? And draw plays aren't really a good call against heavy pressure because you're getting rushers filling every gap. Draw plays are best in long to go situations because the defense usually brings fewer rushers and drop the rest of the players into deep zones.

You're also way off on blitz rates, it's not nearly that high. They blitzed 60% in week 1, and quite a bit yesterday, but that was more about who they were playing, not what they'll do all year. The Ravens blitzed the most last year, it was somewhere around 33%. The league average is around 17-18%.

And you've also got the announcers calling something a blitz when it really isn't a blitz. Pittsburgh has been known for 25+ years for a "zone blitz" which really isn't a blitz at all, they'll bring someone they don't normally bring, but then they'll drop a lineman into zone coverage in a short middle area looking for a pass to a crosser (think Shelby Harris picking off Roethlisberger during the last game in Denver). But although described as a blitz, they're only bringing 4.

I'd have to watch the film again to see how much they actually blitzed, but often they'd bring an unexpected guy and run games with their linemen (twists and stunts) where the lineman isn't actually rushing the passer, but just drawing a block from a lineman to free up the other player. The Broncos o-line got destroyed by stunts yesterday, they'll need to clean that up quickly, because every team they play will look at that film and they'll all be going heavy with those calls until Denver cleans it up.

Comment

• fraguela09
        Byner of Buckner?
        • Oct 2006

26-21... late 4th... 3rd and short, deep in PIT territory. QB sacked 7 times and hit almost 20 times in the game...

Your 10 mil free agent RB toy is averaging almost 4 ypc on the afternoon...

Maybe not putting the game in the hands of your backup QB, attempting to throw when we couldn’t pass protect...

Especially a week after you lost a game, in part bc you got cute in similar situation as you tried to do a shovel pass...

Bad coaching repeating itself weekly. Then again, PS has a long and storied history of avg to below avg offense.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
          Super Moderator
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
          And to add salt to the wounds Vic cost the team $250k + his own $100k fine.......

A ridiculous fine for a ridiculous rule. I'm not going to debate masks in the public at large, but the coaches are all tested as much as the players are, and they won't be out there if they have a positive test, so why do the players not need to wear masks but the coaches do when they all go through he same protocols? This is nothing more than the NFL making it look like they're doing something, but in reality they're doing nothing. Since it's 3 different teams and coaches facing these fines, I expect them to file a joint appeal, and they can point to the number of coaches who weren't fined but rarely wore their masks. Belichick wore a mask that looked like a fake nose, and barely covered much besides his nose, but no fine there?

Comment

• flosstein
            Ring of Famer
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            A ridiculous fine for a ridiculous rule. I'm not going to debate masks in the public at large, but the coaches are all tested as much as the players are, and they won't be out there if they have a positive test, so why do the players not need to wear masks but the coaches do when they all go through he same protocols? This is nothing more than the NFL making it look like they're doing something, but in reality they're doing nothing. Since it's 3 different teams and coaches facing these fines, I expect them to file a joint appeal, and they can point to the number of coaches who weren't fined but rarely wore their masks. Belichick wore a mask that looked like a fake nose, and barely covered much besides his nose, but no fine there?
            I get it, and I agree with u. It’s just adds a bit on top of the rough week we had.
            #swapping

Comment

• Butler By'Note
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              I get it, and I agree with u. It’s just adds a bit on top of the rough week we had.
              I don't think it's something that's going to last. This will be overturned on appeal because it's selective enforcement.

Comment

• Shiz
                All-Pro
                • Feb 2008

Fire Fangio now. Munchack is interim head coach, but actually named head coach for future. We keep this consistency with Shurmur and go forward. Vic has shown nothing as far as growth. He has been hit hard with injuries but there is nothing that proves to me he can rally our team.
                sigpic

Comment

• Cnon
                  Special Teams
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Oxygen Bandit View Post
                  Fact is the coaches should know they have a young QB with lock. Should have kicked the FG on 4th down. Fangio and Shurmer know better. Time management is also a problem apparently.
                  That field goal might have won the game!

What was our coach thinking?

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2017

Fire the OC why even hire someone who failed at his job LoL 😂 0-16 here we come yaaaa !!

Comment

• Peerless
                      Football Immortal
                      • May 2004

The coaching all around has been horrible. I don't know about Vic Fangio honestly. I know he seems like a genuine good guy, an old school type - but I have not been impressed with him to say the least.

The apple doesn't fall from the tree. Pat Shumar has been questionable with his offensive play calls, and I'd really like to skip over special teams... but they are quite special.

Comment

Working...
                      X