• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Williams
    Practice Squad
    • Apr 2006

Fangio = Ghost of Wayne Fontes

I've watched the NFL since 1969 and the worst clock management and illogic I had seen until last night was Wayne Fontes for Detriot. Coaches like this NEVER succeed because it exposes their bad logic, and you know he'll do it again because he defending it isntead of owning it. This is bad for Elway, who has now hired the likes of Fox, Joseph, and now Fangio who is clearly the dumbest of the bunch. Fox was known for bad clock management and I predicted to many people he would cost us an important playoff game (see Baltimore loss), then he hires Vance Joseph who somehow was worse, and now Fangio who somehow even tops Joseph in the dunce category.

Cedric Golden hit in on the head via twitter: @CedGolden
    Vic Fangio has been in this league for 35 years and that was some of the worst clock management in league history. The Broncos leave the field with two timeouts remaining, the timeouts he should have used when Tennessee was running down the clock. Sorry but that's inexcusable.

Comment

• Bates
      All-Time Great
      • Jul 2014

I’ll be surprised if we get 5 wins after last night.

Jeudy looking like DT with those drops. Lock overthrew the ball at least 3 times, and probably made 3-4 bad reads. Our DBs are soft and slow.

At least our front 7 was stopping the run really well but we forgot what pressure on the QB is.

Comment

• Bronco51
        Football Immortal
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        Fangio literally said they didn't call timeouts because they thought the kicker was gonna miss.
        That was the moment I realized he has adopted the Colorado Rockies "wish" strategy of managing. Let's hope we win by the other team losing it instead of taking the win ourselves. Insane.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
          team preacher
          • Mar 2008

I feel good about Lock. TN has a very good defense and Lock lost his #1 receiver the week before the game the week of the game. Jeudy will be fine, he probably just had first game jitters.
          I believe this game comes down to 3 plays: 1. It was a bad idea to return a punt from 3 yards deep in the end zone. It resulted in horrible field position and was a very low percentage play. 2. Gordon has had ball security issues throughout his career and it probably cost us the game last night. 3. We should have taken the points when we were at 4th and goal. I was fearful we would what we did which was come away from a long drive with no points. I felt it was a bad play call. You need those points in a low scoring ball control game.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• mojo0730
            Football Immortal
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
            I feel good about Lock. TN has a very good defense and Lock lost his #1 receiver the week before the game, so they probably had to adjust their game plan. Jeudy will be fine, he probably just had first game jitters.
            I believe this game comes down to 3 plays: 1. It was a bad idea to return a punt from 3 yards deep in the end zone. 2. Gordon had had ball security issues throughout his career and it probably cost us the game last night. 3. We should have taken the points when we were at 4th and goal. I was fearful we would what we did which was come away from a long drive with no points. I felt it was a bad play call. You need those points in a low scoring ball control game.
            I agree with everything except going for it on 4th and goal. You need to build confidence & really ability with your young offense. I have absolutely no problem with them going for it on 4th and goal in that situation - it was just an awful, awful playcall.
            sigpic

Comment

• RocketArm006
              Totally Worth It
              • May 2008

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              I agree with everything except going for it on 4th and goal. You need to build confidence & really ability with your young offense. I have absolutely no problem with them going for it on 4th and goal in that situation - it was just an awful, awful playcall.
              Totally agree. Both the play call and personnel were weird on that play.

Comment

• Banner29
                Practice Squad
                • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                I feel good about Lock. TN has a very good defense and Lock lost his #1 receiver the week before the game the week of the game. Jeudy will be fine, he probably just had first game jitters.
                I believe this game comes down to 3 plays: 1. It was a bad idea to return a punt from 3 yards deep in the end zone. It resulted in horrible field position and was a very low percentage play. 2. Gordon has had ball security issues throughout his career and it probably cost us the game last night. 3. We should have taken the points when we were at 4th and goal. I was fearful we would what we did which was come away from a long drive with no points. I felt it was a bad play call. You need those points in a low scoring ball control game.
                Lock had a lot of overthrows but he seemed to be calm and cool in the pocket and showed nice leadership. It’s definitely a good enough performance to build off of and about as good as you can expect without his top receiver and his rookie WR dropping some crucial passes.

Next week him and Fant need to be in sync the entire game and not just the first half.

Pretty disappointing performance but I guess with a lack of ore season for such a young team is worth giving a mulligan.

They had some good moments, and some bad ones, all of which are correctable. Coaching staff has some work to do

Comment

• Rastic
                  Modulated
                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Banner29 View Post
                  Lock had a lot of overthrows but he seemed to be calm and cool in the pocket and showed nice leadership. It’s definitely a good enough performance to build off of and about as good as you can expect without his top receiver and his rookie WR dropping some crucial passes.

Next week him and Fant need to be in sync the entire game and not just the first half.

Pretty disappointing performance but I guess with a lack of ore season for such a young team is worth giving a mulligan.

They had some good moments, and some bad ones, all of which are correctable. Coaching staff has some work to do
                  Yes, he did look good in the backfield even if his footwork was not great at times. He never looked overwhelmed.

What happened to Fant? I don't even recall him being targeted in the second half? Was he double teamed or just off Shurmur's radar. He was the hot hand early on and gashing Tenn and then he disappeared.

Comment

• BroncoooJohnson
                    Playmaker
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by thro281 View Post
                    Unbelievable. I think Vrabel outsmarted him so that Fangio wouldn't use his timeouts. Fangio coached a terrible game.
                    Terrible clock management but he coached a great game schematically. Holding Henry to 3.7 YPC, gave our defense multiple chances at interceptions that we couldn’t take advantage of, and that’s with two rookies in the secondary for most of the game (one UDFA),
                    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

• broncolassiter
                      Special Teams
                      • Aug 2009

There is no shame in losing, there is shame in not giving it everything you have. Elway says he wants to see the team kicking & screaming. That's not going to happen if the coach can't do it himself. Time to fire Fangio!
                      sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

The only coaching disappointment for me was the clock management. And sadly, that was a crucial error. No doubt in my mind that, if we held them to a FG and had even close to a minute to score, we'd have had a great chance to win. If it's true that we were expecting another missed kick, that would be foolish. If you use your timeouts properly, you not only get more time, but you could also win if he misses yet again.

FTR, I felt very bad for Gostkowski. To expect and hope for him to miss a relative chip shot was a little hard to do, given the night he had. We are talking his job, and a guy who may be one of the best kickers in history. So yes, in spite of our pain, I was happy that he did not go away sunken to a new low. Ideally, he makes the FG and we have a minute to go. That's on our coach to be much smarter in a key time of the game. No one should expect any kicker to miss a chip shot.....so I really hope that's not what he was thinking.

Comment

• RocketArm006
                          Totally Worth It
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          The only coaching disappointment for me was the clock management. And sadly, that was a crucial error. No doubt in my mind that, if we held them to a FG and had even close to a minute to score, we'd have had a great chance to win. If it's true that we were expecting another missed kick, that would be foolish. If you use your timeouts properly, you not only get more time, but you could also win if he misses yet again.

FTR, I felt very bad for Gostkowski. To expect and hope for him to miss a relative chip shot was a little hard to do, given the night he had. We are talking his job, and a guy who may be one of the best kickers in history. So yes, in spite of our pain, I was happy that he did not go away sunken to a new low. Ideally, he makes the FG and we have a minute to go.
                          The 4th and goal call and personnel was pretty head scratching. They just looked out of sorts and clunky. Still, I have tempered expectations, so I'll sit back and see if it gets any smoother in the upcoming weeks.

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                            The 4th and goal call and personnel was pretty head scratching. They just looked out of sorts and clunky. Still, I have tempered expectations, so I'll sit back and see if it gets any smoother in the upcoming weeks.
                            Yes, there were other aspects of coaching that could have been smarter, and that loss of downs near the goal line was a real kick in the gut.

Sometimes it's execution, so I will not blame everything on the coaches, but as we are mostly saying, it's very early in a non preseason year. These next two games will be telling. The Steelers will be tough, and though Tampa looks out of sorts, I would not expect them to lay down and call it a year just yet. Once they get their collective act together, they may be a threat. All in all, we can not be 0 and 3 and think we have a real shot.

Comment

• broncolassiter
                              Special Teams
                              • Aug 2009

we will probably be more like 1 - 4 to start the season, with the Jets the only winnable game. Last nights game showed us we have a lot of work to do. For one thing we need to be able to close out drives, we did not do that very well. Then we need to be able to run in the 4th quarter to close out the game, another area of weakness. The lack of preseason definitely hurts, but I will not guarantee any preseason games in the future, The PA has been trying to eliminate them altogether, while the NFL wants an 18 game season. So don't be surprised if preseason is a thing of the past.
                              sigpic

Comment

• RocketArm006
                                Totally Worth It
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                Yes, there were other aspects of coaching that could have been smarter, and that loss of downs near the goal line was a real kick in the gut.

Sometimes it's execution, so I will not blame everything on the coaches, but as we are mostly saying, it's very early in a non preseason year. These next two games will be telling. The Steelers will be tough, and though Tampa looks out of sorts, I would not expect them to lay down and call it a year just yet. Once they get their collective act together, they may be a threat. All in all, we can not be 0 and 3 and think we have a real shot.
                                Agreed. I suppose I'm going into this season already expecting them to miss the playoffs with an over/under of 8-8. For me, this year is all about hope for next year. I've embraced the idea that this is a rebuilding year. If they show improvement week to week and we can see some legit progress from our megayoung roster, I will feel very encouraged.

Comment

Working...
                                X