Terrible coaching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Williams View Post
    I've watched the NFL since 1969 and the worst clock management and illogic I had seen until last night was Wayne Fontes for Detriot. Coaches like this NEVER succeed because it exposes their bad logic, and you know he'll do it again because he defending it isntead of owning it. This is bad for Elway, who has now hired the likes of Fox, Joseph, and now Fangio who is clearly the dumbest of the bunch. Fox was known for bad clock management and I predicted to many people he would cost us an important playoff game (see Baltimore loss), then he hires Vance Joseph who somehow was worse, and now Fangio who somehow even tops Joseph in the dunce category.

Cedric Golden hit in on the head via twitter: @CedGolden
    Andy Reid has also been called terrible at managing the clock too. Even if Fangio calls those timeouts, it probably doesn’t matter. The defense was gassed, they would’ve gave up a first down. They really got bailed out because Tannehill missed AJ Brown when he was wide open in the end zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      Yes, he did look good in the backfield even if his footwork was not great at times. He never looked overwhelmed.

What happened to Fant? I don't even recall him being targeted in the second half? Was he double teamed or just off Shurmur's radar. He was the hot hand early on and gashing Tenn and then he disappeared.
      NFL teams make adjustments, they took away Fant. We actually had the right counter calls, just execution with WR drops and a couple of missed easy throws by Lock. The gameplan was good other than the 4th down terrible play call, adjustments were good...clock management is where Vic should be fired today, especially if he was serious about his reasons for not using the timeouts.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
        The 4th and goal call and personnel was pretty head scratching. They just looked out of sorts and clunky. Still, I have tempered expectations, so I'll sit back and see if it gets any smoother in the upcoming weeks.
        The play call was a head scratcher (actually the whole goal line series) but I actually liked Fangio going for it on 4th in that situation. It showed he is willing to take risks and not play safe at times. That all flew out the window during the last two possessions where eating the clock and getting first downs was of greater importance than taking shots downfield or run Gordon into the DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
          The play call was a head scratcher (actually the whole goal line series) but I actually liked Fangio going for it on 4th in that situation. It showed he is willing to take risks and not play safe at times. That all flew out the window during the last two possessions where eating the clock and getting first downs was of greater importance than taking shots downfield or run Gordon into the DL.
          Good point. I like the aggressive attitude, but Oi, that call and the unraveling at the end were not good.
          sigpic

Comment

Fangio admitted that he missed calling a timeout after a play on that final drive because he was focused on calling his next defensive play.....
            ... Seriously!?

This is why he is becoming a failure as a head coach. He needs to have his DC call the defense. He's the head coach. It's his job to manage EVERY aspect of the game. And why isn't anyone else getting in his ear about taking a timeout?

No wonder we lose these kinds of games. If he wants to call the defense, then he needs to step down as head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
              Fangio admitted that he missed calling a timeout after a play on that final drive because he was focused on calling his next defensive play.....
              ... Seriously!?

This is why he is becoming a failure as a head coach. He needs to have his DC call the defense. He's the head coach. It's his job to manage EVERY aspect of the game. And why isn't anyone else getting in his ear about taking a timeout?

No wonder we lose these kinds of games. If he wants to call the defense, then he needs to step down as head coach.
              I dunno. Sounds like excuse making to me. Calling time outs late in the game isn't a very difficult concept. Every Bronco fan in the world was like "Why are you not stopping the clock?" I'm not really in the lynching group yet, but that was a pretty poorly coached game - especially on that last drive.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                Andy Reid has also been called terrible at managing the clock too. Even if Fangio calls those timeouts, it probably doesn’t matter. The defense was gassed, they would’ve gave up a first down. They really got bailed out because Tannehill missed AJ Brown when he was wide open in the end zone.
                The real crime was the previous drive, after the JJ drop, when Schumer ran a dive play and wastes a down to burn 30 seconds. Stupid. We needed that play and we needed those 30 seconds. Only a loser plays the clock management game in the spot... winners go get the first down and win the game.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  The real crime was the previous drive, after the JJ drop, when Schumer ran a dive play and wastes a down to burn 30 seconds. Stupid. We needed that play and we needed those 30 seconds. Only a loser plays the clock management game in the spot... winners go get the first down and win the game.
                  I don’t think that was an issue, I think the issue was not committing to either running the clock or going for the points. If he ran it 3 straight times then it eliminates the Titans ground game. If he went for it all maybe Jeudy doesn’t drop another pass or Lock connects with Hamilton deep.

Gordon was effective aside from the fumble. I believe he had 5 ypc so I would’ve been comfortable letting him run 3 straight times even with them expecting it. We improved our interior oline, we have a RG masquerading as a RT and blocking TEs in Vannett and Butt and we’re playing in altitude in week 1 where there wasn’t much of a training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                    Agreed. I suppose I'm going into this season already expecting them to miss the playoffs with an over/under of 8-8. For me, this year is all about hope for next year. I've embraced the idea that this is a rebuilding year. If they show improvement week to week and we can see some legit progress from our megayoung roster, I will feel very encouraged.
                    I admit, I had predicted a playoff season. Since losing Miller and Sutton (for a while), and not seeing a lot from Chubb, I am more inclined to lean towards 8 and 8. But if I see a little more cohesiveness on O, and Chubb and others step it up, I give us a chance to sneak into post season play. With an extra playoff spot on each side, and some uncertainty in the rest of The AFC, it's still a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      I admit, I had predicted a playoff season. Since losing Miller and Sutton (for a while), and not seeing a lot from Chubb, I am more inclined to lean towards 8 and 8. But if I see a little more cohesiveness on O, and Chubb and others step it up, I give us a chance to sneak into post season play. With an extra playoff spot on each side, and some uncertainty in the rest of The AFC, it's still a possibility.
                      Sure. They have a puncher's chance. I'm all for them having a magical playoff season, I'm just not expecting it. If they go around 7-9 and show more promise and improvement, then I'll be very encouraged. In my eyes, 2020 is just "mega-preseason 2021".
                      sigpic

Comment

Fangio admitted he was too focused on the defense and this caused him to miss calling a timeout. If he can't handle calling the defensive plays and HC abilities he needs to pick one or the other. How in the hell was there no one in charge of this if Fangio was going to be focused on defensive playcalling? Something stinks here.

Comment

We are inexperienced across the board, coaching included, and it showed after this weird off-season. I still think we are a borderline playoff team, but I said constantly over the off-season that people were only setting themselves up for disappointment with the inflated opinions of this average roster. We added some speed, some nice prospects, but we also got worse in some key areas and still have holes in spots we have had for years. The most disappointing thing for me is a guy like Simmons not showing up. He is now the guy on defense and didn't have a great start to trying to repeat his 2019 play for the inflated contract he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Skylan View Post
                            Fangio admitted he was too focused on the defense and this caused him to miss calling a timeout. If he can't handle calling the defensive plays and HC abilities he needs to pick one or the other. How in the hell was there no one in charge of this if Fangio was going to be focused on defensive playcalling? Something stinks here.
                            He just can't adjust (or as yet has not been able to adjust) to being a HC after decades as a DC.

Also that doesn't make a lot of sense, as even as a DC he should know when a defensive Time Out should be called.

Comment

Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                              He just can't adjust (or as yet has not been able to adjust) to being a HC after decades as a DC.

Also that doesn't make a lot of sense, as even as a DC he should know when a defensive Time Out should be called.
                              Yeah, actually that's a really good point. The DC needs to be just as much if not more so concerned about the time management in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by GMTD View Post

There is probably a reason why it took this long for Fangio to get a HC job. Now we are seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X