Terrible coaching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    People keep saying that but let's credit Shelby for blocking one, so 7 points off the board, and if we're going to play the 'what if everyone scored when they should have' game evenly then we left 7 off the board too at their one yard line. This scenario is still not enough to change the verdict, of course.
    Fair enough. But, my point was Tennessee put themselves in position more than Denver and didn't take advantage. I am not going to hope teams miss 3 FG's week in and week out. The Offense is a work in progress, and hopefully they find ways to put themselves in more positions to score...and take advantage of them.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
      His odd explanations aren’t really helping his case. Pretty embarrassing. I wasn’t really doing backflips when he was hired. He’s not doing much to get me to turn a corner on him. At this point, I’m just hoping it “clicks” for him and his staff at some point this season.
      Not only did he possibly cost us the game, it makes me worry that he will cause us issues down the road, whether it be clock management or some other strategy (or lack thereof).

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Not only did he possibly cost us the game, it makes me worry that he will cause us issues down the road, whether it be clock management or some other strategy (or lack thereof).
        It has been a bit clunky so far, for sure. Maybe this staff gels and finds some sort of mojo. It's really only hope at this point for me. I'm going to enjoy the show this year and see where the chips fall. It's a bit liberating to have no expectations as far as wins, but feel excited about the team's young nucleus.

Yet another coaching change sounds so unappealing. A revolving door at HC is never a good thing. Still, if he doesn't have "it", there's always plenty of coordinators, etc. every year who could be a good candidate. Really, at this point, I'm just hoping this coaching staff finds a rhythm. I'd much rather have some continuity. If they just can't get it together by year's end, then I wouldn't be opposed to fresh blood.

I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the show.
        sigpic

Comment

I question the conditioning of the team as I do every year. For a team that plays at altitude it seems to bother us just as much as it does the other team. I understand the defense because they couldn’t get off the field but we had skill players rotating in and out every drive on offense. With our WRs at full health that’s fine, but missing 2 guys I don’t think we should be rotating so heavily.

Either they’re out of shape or Shurmur still doesn’t know what he likes and doesn’t like with this offense and he’s trying to figure it out on the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            I question the conditioning of the team as I do every year. For a team that plays at altitude it seems to bother us just as much as it does the other team. I understand the defense because they couldn’t get off the field but we had skill players rotating in and out every drive on offense. With our WRs at full health that’s fine, but missing 2 guys I don’t think we should be rotating so heavily.

Either they’re out of shape or Shurmur still doesn’t know what he likes and doesn’t like with this offense and he’s trying to figure it out on the fly.
            I personally think it's the latter. They're all figuring it out on the fly.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty much done making excuses to myself about this football team.
              It is time to start winning football games.
              (No more Excuses)

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

There was a point TN was running a no huddle trying to tire our defense out. embarassing
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I think performance was generally as expected. Obviously disappointed with result as we had chances to win when overmatched. Far too early to make a judgement. Discussed elsewhere in his thread, however I think defense was decent/promising, Lock looked the part, Jeudy will be a star, Fant is starting to fulfill potential, (watch out!) even Gordon looked decent. Very decent Oline play. Stay strong.. Keep the faith. We are competitive and will get better.

Comment

The team is competitive because of the players, the coaching has taken a step back. He saved 2 time outs for this weeks game, so that he could have 6.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavisMVP View Post
                      The team is competitive because of the players, the coaching has taken a step back. He saved 2 time outs for this weeks game, so that he could have 6.
                      I would completely disagree. The defense showed zero that makes me think they're competitive. They gave up four drives of 12+ plays. That's on the players. At some point you need to be able to get yourself off the field. Fangio could have used those timeouts, but the defense didn't look capable of making a stop. That's why they lost the game.

Fangio should be taking heat for the performance of his defense well before the timeout stupidity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        I would completely disagree. The defense showed zero that makes me think they're competitive. They gave up four drives of 12+ plays. That's on the players. At some point you need to be able to get yourself off the field. Fangio could have used those timeouts, but the defense didn't look capable of making a stop. That's why they lost the game.

Fangio should be taking heat for the performance of his defense well before the timeout stupidity.

Comment

• Bottom line, he hasn't broken the barrier yet as far as being a solid HC. So far, he sort of looks like a guy who is a good coordinator, but not cut out for HC.

It's still early, so I'm certainly not calling for his head yet. I'm interested to see how the rest of the season pans out.

Kind of also good that we have 2 coordinators with HC experience. Granted, neither of those guys have really broken the barrier either, it just makes for options.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DavisMVP View Post
                            Step back from what? I have not seen good coaching here since Kubes
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Coaching is not just on the head coach.

Not sure if anyone has herd Stink talk about the 96, 97 and 98 Broncos run game but what was interesting was how little we ran the ball in the playoff loss to Jax even though our run game was dominant even that year. What Stink talks about is it was Alex Gibbs who would get into Shanahan about running the ball more.

The buck definitely stops at the HC but when a team has good coaching it is not just the HC getting it done.

I saw a poster say Vic was standing behind his decision to not call a time out after the game. Maybe someone can check that I still have not watched the post game presser.

What I do know is that Tue Vic was saying he should have called time out.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/202...alled-timeout/

In hindsight, Fangio admits he made a mistake — and he admitted that all of the blame falls on him.

“It was totally my fault there,” Fangio said. “I had too much thought into what I was going to call next on defense and I missed it.”

It’s good to see the Broncos coach admit his mistake. He’s not too proud to acknowledge a timeout would have been the right decision. Now, just like the team’s players, Fangio needs to learn from his mistake and not make it again.

“Every game is a learning experience, win or lose in this league,” Fangio said. “Your experiences are what you build on both good and bad. Hopefully we’ll build on the good things we did in this game and learn from the negative things we did and move forward and keep developing into a good team.”
                              People going to have their own opinions for their own reasons. For me this is good enough today.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• I don’t think butler is saying not calling the timeouts weren’t a bad call just that we should be more concerned with why we were in that position in the first place.

I hate the defense, I hated it last year and nothing has changed outside of some names. People complained about not getting sacks for however many games and a lot of that is because there is very little press coverage and very rarely do we call a blitz. If you’re going by Wade Phillips terminology then I don’t think we called a single blitz and there were a few dogs mixed in. It’s a very conservative bend but don’t break type of scheme. His best years as a coordinator have come with HoF caliber or borderline HoF caliber players such as guys like Mack, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Eddie Jackson (had an incredible year), Akiem Hicks, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, etc. I look at our defense and Miller was the only guy we had and maybe Casey but the defense requires at least 2 disruptive pass rushers or else the secondary gets cooked.

Funny thing is, in Chicago there actually was some press coverages being used. Probably because Eddie Jackson can cover the distance of the numbers as a single high safety and as long as the CBs funneled the WR inside the numbers he could make a play. We’re seeing more of the 49ers version of the scheme where they had Goldson and I believe Donte Whitner as their Safeties. But we’re trying to do it without elite level ILB play or even fast ILBs.

I don’t like when coaches don’t adapt their scheme to fit the players they have. It just doesn’t work no matter how well they are coached. And the defense is coached very well which is evident with our redzone defense where spaces are condensed and you don’t have as much ground to cover. If you don’t want to call blitzes fine, but you can’t just play soft zone coverage all game and get consistent pressure.

It strikes me as odd considering how aggressive he wants the offense to be because if they start connecting on big plays the defense will be on the field a ton and eventually that redzone defense efficiency will start to slip because they’ll be gassed. Playing at altitude we should want to control the clock on offense with the running game, part of the reason Shannan’s zone blocking scheme was so success was not only because you force the defense to maintain their gap discipline much more than a traditional power scheme but the defense is constantly running sideline to sideline trying to stop stretch runs and when it’s a bootleg now they have to double back the other way. Mix in some hurry up and you have a great recipe to keep a defense gassed while keeping yours fresh and the opposing offense out of rhythm.

Comment

Working...
                                X