Look at the bright side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Speaking of which, on the failed 4th down, it looked like Lock could have just run it in (didn't see a replay to confirm my initial view) but he decided to flip it to the TE anyway.
    Interesting, because I thought the exact same thing. I figured it was a bootleg option play. When he started running, I was like "They're gonna score", but then he shovels it to Butt (that made me giggle a little bit). Not sure if it was a bad decision on Lock's part or if he was just running the play call.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      I wondered that too. Do you think he didn't see it or didn't have the option as the play was called and didn't want to go off script?
      I think it was the latter. He is only in his second season, so he doesn't have the chops to audible. He's running what the coaches tell him without question. If that was Manning, I can't imagine he would have settled for a shuttle pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
        I wondered that too. Do you think he didn't see it or didn't have the option as the play was called and didn't want to go off script?
        Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
        Interesting, because I thought the exact same thing. I figured it was a bootleg option play. When he started running, I was like "They're gonna score", but then he shovels it to Butt (that made me giggle a little bit). Not sure if it was a bad decision on Lock's part or if he was just running the play call.
        Originally posted by darryn16 View Post
        I think it was the latter. He is only in his second season, so he doesn't have the chops to audible. He's running what the coaches tell him without question. If that was Manning, I can't imagine he would have settled for a shuttle pass.
        I don't know if he can audible or not, but what I'm talking about was as he was rolling right, it looked like he had the lane to score. And if he didn't take it (and it was there) that's fully on Lock. You would never coach a QB to throw the ball on that play if he had the run lane to get in. The coaching point would always be, if in doubt or if you see the lane GO! And we saw an example of that during the game where he was running a bootleg on a third down, he was clearly looking for a pass, realized he could get it by running and quickly ran for the first down.

Comment

I don't know if he can audible or not, but what I'm talking about was as he was rolling right, it looked like he had the lane to score. And if he didn't take it (and it was there) that's fully on Lock. You would never coach a QB to throw the ball on that play if he had the run lane to get in. The coaching point would always be, if in doubt or if you see the lane GO! And we saw an example of that during the game where he was running a bootleg on a third down, he was clearly looking for a pass, realized he could get it by running and quickly ran for the first down.
          I see your point. I don’t really disagree. As I keep saying, these guys are young and inexperienced. Even though I agree he should have better recognition, it will improve once the game slows down a bit for him. I’m sure he’s probably just trying to run the play properly. Once he gets his sea legs, so to speak, I’m guessing he will take those opportunities more often.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
            I see your point. I don’t really disagree. As I keep saying, these guys are young and inexperienced. Even though I agree he should have better recognition, it will improve once the game slows down a bit for him. I’m sure he’s probably just trying to run the play properly. Once he gets his sea legs, so to speak, I’m guessing he will take those opportunities more often.
            Absolutely. And it could very well be that the lane I thought was there (again I only saw it once, live) wasn't actually there, and he had no chance to get in and he made the right decision.

Regardless I didn't like that play call, I would have either called a run play with Gordon (like they did later in the game), or I would have gone with that formation but ran play action looking to get it to Fant. Or my final option (and then one I like best for a young QB) would have been to spread it out with 5 receivers, and told Lock to find the best matchup, and if he didn't like it then run a QB draw. Spreading the defense out in tight forces the D to either spread out to cover everyone, which opens run lanes and also allows you to just find the best matchup 1 on 1. Or if the defense doesn't spread out, you've likely got an uncovered receiver.

Comment

Absolutely. And it could very well be that the lane I thought was there (again I only saw it once, live) wasn't actually there, and he had no chance to get in and he made the right decision.

Regardless I didn't like that play call, I would have either called a run play with Gordon (like they did later in the game), or I would have gone with that formation but ran play action looking to get it to Fant. Or my final option (and then one I like best for a young QB) would have been to spread it out with 5 receivers, and told Lock to find the best matchup, and if he didn't like it then run a QB draw. Spreading the defense out in tight forces the D to either spread out to cover everyone, which opens run lanes and also allows you to just find the best matchup 1 on 1. Or if the defense doesn't spread out, you've likely got an uncovered receiver.
              Agreed, the play call was just all around bad.
              sigpic

Comment

The only calls I remember not being too keen on were the TE screen to Vannett, 4th and goal TE screen to Butt and the botched end around to Jeudy.

Comment

On the bright side, we didn't score to take the lead only to watch the defense blow it in the final minute again.
                  So yeah there is that haha!
                  sigpic

Comment

On the bright side, Fant's a total stud!

Simmons was good today too.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

I thought our D played well. We had that 84 bomb against us that people said he pushed off but wasn't called then that safety. So there's 9 points there against this good offense. And we had 2 turn overs. Be a little optimistic

Comment

Bright side is now we have a legit shot at Trevor Lawrence....

Comment

We’ll go 6-10 and hopefully invest in OT.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                            I made a post about landing the first overall pick would you draft Trevor or would you role with lock and take the insane amount of picks in a trade? I was joking when I made this, now that small chance is slightly getting bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                              No that's not legitimate. Have you seen how bad the Jets are? Have you seen how bad the Panthers are coached? Both of those teams look like they have a chance at 0-16 bad and both are on Denver's schedule. Have you seen how bad the Giants o-line and coaching are? And now without their best player. Have you seen how bad the Falcons defense is? Again they're on Denver's schedule. Have you seen how poor the Lions are?

There are a lot of situations much worse than the Broncos this year, they're still a long way off from being top 2 or 3 picks bad. If the injuries keep piling up, maybe. But right now there's no chance.

Comment

No that's not legitimate. Have you seen how bad the Jets are? Have you seen how bad the Panthers are coached? Both of those teams look like they have a chance at 0-16 bad and both are on Denver's schedule. Have you seen how bad the Giants o-line and coaching are? And now without their best player. Have you seen how bad the Falcons defense is? Again they're on Denver's schedule. Have you seen how poor the Lions are?

There are a lot of situations much worse than the Broncos this year, they're still a long way off from being top 2 or 3 picks bad. If the injuries keep piling up, maybe. But right now there's no chance.
                                If the injuries co to us in Denver the only team I see having a worse team are the Jets.

Comment

Working...
                                X