Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calm Down Broncos Country, It's Only Week 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Hopefully, this was Jeudy's Fant game. Fant had the atrocious game last year, and then hit stride in the back half of the year. If Jeudy got his out of the way, and Sutton comes back, the offense will be develop really nicely.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

    Comment


    • #17
      My expectations have been tempered from the get go. I’m not freaking out because I never had super lofty deep playoff expectations.

      In all honesty, I’m sort of looking at this season as a 16 game preseason for 2021.
      If they catch fire and pull off a winning season, great. I’m just not expecting that.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Hard to calm down when you're already in the basement of the AFC West with every other team in the division already snagging a win

        Comment


        • #19
          Look, this game went more or less how most experts predicted it would go. Low scoring, pretty even for the most part, and not a lot of great offense. Considering the injuries, new offense, and lack of preseason I'm actually not terribly upset with the loss especially since we could have easily have won it had we executed a little bit better and managed it better. Those are fixable things and once Sutton is healthy & playing this offense will be better.

          I know it's frustrating because we've been dealing with an anemic offense for the better part of 6 seasons now. But this is going to be an unusual season and my biggest goal is just for Lock to develop into a franchise quarterback.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Im not gonna calm down this was a game we needed not like our schedule gets easier.

            Comment


            • #21
              This is not a playoff team yet. Very young and shallow depth. Good news is they showed some promise. They have a puncher's chance at a winning season based on their young, raw talent. But it's always only been a puncher's chance. Hard for me to expect a team built around a bunch of rookies/extremely young players to turn this franchise around in one game. This roster has been thin for several years. This year is about development for the near future.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                I'd really like if this team paid more attention to the fundamentals.

                I.e, if Spencer doesn't field that punt inside the 10, that block in the back doesn't happen, and maybe if Gordon fumbles, it isn't instantly a Titans RZ possession.

                That being said, Gordon's fumble.

                I can get and understand overthrows, some drops, and all that. I don't dig those bonehead errors.

                Also, I get that this season will be rough for the entire league with injuries because of the lack of preseason and contact, but darn do I feel they are snakebitten right now and I have to wonder if there is a conditioning deficit that other teams don't have.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  These are the hardest losses. We had so many opportunities to put them away.

                  Honestly, and maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t have much in the way of expectations this year - especially with VM out.

                  Do I want the team to win every game? Of course. Will they? No. Is there some solace that we’re not one of those mediocre “old” teams with no hope for the future? Absolutely.

                  We’re young. The team is going to make mistakes. Sutton and Juedy? Oh my. Sure, Juedy made some key drops, but it was his first game! Gordon looked like a stud (to me). Lock played really well for his what, 6 or 7th start? Offensive line? Wow. All things considered? They played very, very well.

                  My primary concern was the lack of pressure. No Von Miller really hurts. Maybe we can still find a vet to help. I’m giving Chubb the benefit of the doubt. And number 45, outside of his stupid penalty that took away that interception, that dude is a stud!

                  The coaching though. We have the talent. We have to be ok with a young team making mistakes. But Fangio. I think Elway whiffed. There’s a reason why he never got a head coaching gig, and it’s showing.

                  Who knows what this year will be? 7-9? 8-8? 9-7?

                  Whatever it is, I’m excited for the future once we get our coaching worked out.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Nutdotnet View Post
                    These are the hardest losses. We had so many opportunities to put them away.

                    Honestly, and maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t have much in the way of expectations this year - especially with VM out.

                    Do I want the team to win every game? Of course. Will they? No. Is there some solace that we’re not one of those mediocre “old” teams with no hope for the future? Absolutely.

                    We’re young. The team is going to make mistakes. Sutton and Juedy? Oh my. Sure, Juedy made some key drops, but it was his first game! Gordon looked like a stud (to me). Lock played really well for his what, 6 or 7th start? Offensive line? Wow. All things considered? They played very, very well.

                    My primary concern was the lack of pressure. No Von Miller really hurts. Maybe we can still find a vet to help. I’m giving Chubb the benefit of the doubt. And number 45, outside of his stupid penalty that took away that interception, that dude is a stud!

                    The coaching though. We have the talent. We have to be ok with a young team making mistakes. But Fangio. I think Elway whiffed. There’s a reason why he never got a head coaching gig, and it’s showing.

                    Who knows what this year will be? 7-9? 8-8? 9-7?

                    Whatever it is, I’m excited for the future once we get our coaching worked out.
                    I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at this season as a 16 game preseason for next year. I never thought they'd be a playoff team this year. Just looking for those encouraging signs that we have a good nucleus for the near future.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I pretty sure there was one of these “calm down” threads last year too, after we got our butts kicked by the Raiders, then went on and started 0-4.

                      Losses can quickly snowball as we saw the last few years. On the road in Pittsburgh next week which will be tough, then the Bucs, with the Patriots and Chiefs in the next 6 weeks. They could easily dig themselves into a hole like last year.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                        I pretty sure there was one of these “calm down” threads last year too, after we got our butts kicked by the Raiders, then went on and started 0-4.

                        Losses can quickly snowball as we saw the last few years. On the road in Pittsburgh next week which will be tough, then the Bucs, with the Patriots and Chiefs in the next 6 weeks. They could easily dig themselves into a hole like last year.
                        The context is way different this year, though. Last year we were still on the “We’re only a vet FA QB away from winning” strategy. Once it was glaringly apparent that wasn’t the case, it made for a terrible situation because expectations were way off.

                        This is a rebuilding year. I’m embracing it. This is not a playoff caliber team - yet. We have some some young, promising talent that will gain valuable experience this year.

                        I’m still of the opinion the over/under is 8-8. There’s still a lot of season to go and the young offense did show some decent flashes. I’m going to just enjoy watching them develop and improve.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                          I pretty sure there was one of these “calm down” threads last year too, after we got our butts kicked by the Raiders, then went on and started 0-4.

                          Losses can quickly snowball as we saw the last few years. On the road in Pittsburgh next week which will be tough, then the Bucs, with the Patriots and Chiefs in the next 6 weeks. They could easily dig themselves into a hole like last year.
                          Agreed, but for me, a key difference is our potential ceiling is much higher with this team than last year’s. I’m not saying we’re going to have a better record, but I am confident that this team will be a better team at the end of this year than they were last year - and - outside of the coaching, we’ll have some real excitement, and expectations going into 2021.

                          I still get very upset at losses, but, I think I’m a little use to what I’m seeing on the field. I’m a die-hard Oakland A’s fan, and this type of process is their m-o. Heck, look at them this year. A young core nucleus that’s made mistakes over the last few years but now is a powerhouse. I get that Football has a win-now mindset, but look at the potential.

                          Luck is the best QB that we’ve had since Manning. Sutton and Juedy? They may end up being better than Thomas and Sanders. Look at how well Fant played? Butt is healthy for once.

                          I may be wrong here. But I think this is the best team we’ve had since our SB championship. That may not mean much for 2020, but this is not a mediocre team. It’s a young team that’s going to develop, makes us want to pull our hair out at times, and give us unbelievable excitement at others.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                            The context is way different this year, though. Last year we were still on the “We’re only a vet FA QB away from winning” strategy. Once it was glaringly apparent that wasn’t the case, it made for a terrible situation because expectations were way off.

                            This is a rebuilding year. I’m embracing it. This is not a playoff caliber team - yet. We have some some young, promising talent that will gain valuable experience this year.

                            I’m still of the opinion the over/under is 8-8. There’s still a lot of season to go and the young offense did show some decent flashes. I’m going to just enjoy watching them develop and improve.
                            Originally posted by Nutdotnet View Post
                            Agreed, but for me, a key difference is our potential ceiling is much higher with this team than last year’s. I’m not saying we’re going to have a better record, but I am confident that this team will be a better team at the end of this year than they were last year - and - outside of the coaching, we’ll have some real excitement, and expectations going into 2021.

                            I still get very upset at losses, but, I think I’m a little use to what I’m seeing on the field. I’m a die-hard Oakland A’s fan, and this type of process is their m-o. Heck, look at them this year. A young core nucleus that’s made mistakes over the last few years but now is a powerhouse. I get that Football has a win-now mindset, but look at the potential.

                            Luck is the best QB that we’ve had since Manning. Sutton and Juedy? They may end up being better than Thomas and Sanders. Look at how well Fant played? Butt is healthy for once.

                            I may be wrong here. But I think this is the best team we’ve had since our SB championship. That may not mean much for 2020, but this is not a mediocre team. It’s a young team that’s going to develop, makes us want to pull our hair out at times, and give us unbelievable excitement at others.
                            I like this team’s potential and understand it’s a process. It’s just frustrating to still be losing the games in the same way as last year.

                            Hopefully Sutton is back next week, this offense could look completely different once he’s back in the lineup.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I mean sure, it's easy to calm down if you ignore the past handful of seasons, coaching and personnel decisions and overall gameplay for the most part.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Nutdotnet View Post
                                Agreed, but for me, a key difference is our potential ceiling is much higher with this team than last year’s. I’m not saying we’re going to have a better record, but I am confident that this team will be a better team at the end of this year than they were last year - and - outside of the coaching, we’ll have some real excitement, and expectations going into 2021.

                                I still get very upset at losses, but, I think I’m a little use to what I’m seeing on the field. I’m a die-hard Oakland A’s fan, and this type of process is their m-o. Heck, look at them this year. A young core nucleus that’s made mistakes over the last few years but now is a powerhouse. I get that Football has a win-now mindset, but look at the potential.

                                Luck is the best QB that we’ve had since Manning. Sutton and Juedy? They may end up being better than Thomas and Sanders. Look at how well Fant played? Butt is healthy for once.

                                I may be wrong here. But I think this is the best team we’ve had since our SB championship. That may not mean much for 2020, but this is not a mediocre team. It’s a young team that’s going to develop, makes us want to pull our hair out at times, and give us unbelievable excitement at others.
                                Ok, lets get the elephant in the room right away....if I had been away for a while I'd think we acquired Andrew Luck, which is fitting because we acquired Manning as well! (CPs on the way!!)

                                But I agree with your overall sentiments, that this team's ceiling, on paper anyway, is higher than any other since the SB year. Look at the talent just prior to the start, including Miller and Sutton. I think we all knew that Lock could be our long term answer at the helm, and when you combine the total package with the likes of Gordon, Lindsay, Jeudy, Fant, Risner, Chubb, Casey, Simmons and a group of solid players in support, the future did and still does look bright to me.

                                And my first impressions last night were:
                                1) Lock has zip! Nothing new there. And for me, though young, has all the tools....that just need time to develop. A few wayward passes no doubt, but it's early.
                                2) With Sutton in the lineup, we have the O talent. Fant looked productive, and our backfield is really solid!
                                3) Henry still gets his yards, but The Broncos make him earn every one of them.
                                4) And as for the D, even minus Miller, and with Chubb looking unsensational, there are players playing as good or better than I expected. Having said that, we seemed to be a step behind on the play action style of game that Tennessee likes to play.
                                5) Most teams have struggled a little in game one. No preseason and a pandemic will do that to you. I expect the good teams will get sharper and sharper each week.
                                6) The Titans clearly deserved more points (poor Gostkowski), but we had opportunities as well. These are the things that can improve in weeks to come. Just like Jeudy will hang on to balls he should catch. He sure is quick and has incredible moves! I can see him beating most DBs off the line. I expect him to break a few long ones soon.
                                7) We've harped on it, but the mismanaged clock may have the lost game for us. Lock can take us from the 25 to their 40 or closer in a couple of plays, especially in prevent D situations. A minute or so is a long time, if you throw in sidelines and spiking the ball.

                                I think it's way too early to predict the way of the Broncos year. As mentioned, the offseason was not normal and gave teams little in the way to simulate game situations. That's a level playing field issue though, so no one has a head start. I do think it's incumbent that we win one of the next two games, if we are in the playoff hunt. KC is clearly #1 in the division, but The Raiders may be relevant this year.

                                Long way to go!
                                Last edited by CanDB; 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X