Calm Down Broncos Country, It's Only Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    I like this team’s potential and understand it’s a process. It’s just frustrating to still be losing the games in the same way as last year.

Hopefully Sutton is back next week, this offense could look completely different once he’s back in the lineup.
    Understood and agree. There's still a lot of season to go. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. I'm personally not expecting a ton of wins this year, though.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      Ok, lets get the elephant in the room right away....if I had been away for a while I'd think we acquired Andrew Luck, which is fitting because we acquired Manning as well! (CPs on the way!!)

But I agree with your overall sentiments, that this team's ceiling, on paper anyway, is higher than any other since the SB year. Look at the talent just prior to the start, including Miller and Sutton. I think we all knew that Lock could be our long term answer at the helm, and when you combine the total package with the likes of Gordon, Lindsay, Jeudy, Fant, Risner, Chubb, Casey, Simmons and a group of solid players in support, the future did and still does look bright to me.

And my first impressions last night were:
      1) Lock has zip! Nothing new there. And for me, though young, has all the tools....that just need time to develop. A few wayward passes no doubt, but it's early.
      2) With Sutton in the lineup, we have the O talent. Fant looked productive, and our backfield is really solid!
      3) Henry still gets his yards, but The Broncos make him earn every one of them.
      4) And as for the D, even minus Miller, and with Chubb looking unsensational, there are players playing as good or better than I expected. Having said that, we seemed to be a step behind on the play action style of game that Tennessee likes to play.
      5) Most teams have struggled a little in game one. No preseason and a pandemic will do that to you. I expect the good teams will get sharper and sharper each week.
      6) The Titans clearly deserved more points (poor Gostkowski), but we had opportunities as well. These are the things that can improve in weeks to come. Just like Jeudy will hang on to balls he should catch. He sure is quick and has incredible moves! I can see him beating most DBs off the line. I expect him to break a few long ones soon.
      7) We've harped on it, but the mismanaged clock may have the lost game for us. Lock can take us from the 25 to their 40 or closer in a couple of plays, especially in prevent D situations. A minute or so is a long time, if you throw in sidelines and spiking the ball.

I think it's way too early to predict the way of the Broncos year. As mentioned, the offseason was not normal and gave teams little in the way to simulate game situations. That's a level playing field issue though, so no one has a head start. I do think it's incumbent that we win one of the next two games, if we are in the playoff hunt. KC is clearly #1 in the division, but The Raiders may be relevant this year.

Long way to go!
      Excellent post. Agreed across the board. I'm not too thrilled with ILB and we have serious depth issues, but I'm not that disappointed in the outcome. Hopefully the coaching staff finds a good rhythm and we see far less mistakes moving forward.
      sigpic

Comment

In the heat of the moment sure I was pissed but there are a lot of things that were good. Offensive line didn't have a single holding and what, one sack? If they can sustain that kind of production Lock will have better and better games as the season progresses.

Jeudy won't be dropping balls like that all year, it's not happening. He and Drew will get better together the longer they play together. Jerry was asked to be the man in his first ever real NFL game in prime time, don't hold that against him. He showcased his acceleration and agility abilities and that made me smile!! I love what the future holds for this kid.

DreMont Jones and Attaochu I thought played very well. They didn't get that consistent pressure we all wanted but how many games do A LOT of people here cry about Von being non-existent?? Chubb is the one I was disappointed with. Where was the pressure from him? I saw it in the 1st defensive series but after that he was just another Shane Ray out there.

I thought Michael Ojemudia played very well, he was a difference maker on several plays. Hopefully Bouye isn't out that long but as a whole I thought our secondary played just fine. You cannot expect lock down coverage on every snap. I thought Tennessee game plan to run a lot of playaction on us was smart and it was effective early.

Coaching is something that might have to change after this season. I think we need a young offensive minded coach to pair with our Young offense. We have the foundation here for something great. I think by midseason we'll see what we all want it to be like.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
          In the heat of the moment sure I was pissed but there are a lot of things that were good. Offensive line didn't have a single holding and what, one sack? If they can sustain that kind of production Lock will have better and better games as the season progresses.

Jeudy won't be dropping balls like that all year, it's not happening. He and Drew will get better together the longer they play together. Jerry was asked to be the man in his first ever real NFL game in prime time, don't hold that against him. He showcased his acceleration and agility abilities and that made me smile!! I love what the future holds for this kid.

DreMont Jones and Attaochu I thought played very well. They didn't get that consistent pressure we all wanted but how many games do A LOT of people here cry about Von being non-existent?? Chubb is the one I was disappointed with. Where was the pressure from him? I saw it in the 1st defensive series but after that he was just another Shane Ray out there.

I thought Michael Ojemudia played very well, he was a difference maker on several plays. Hopefully Bouye isn't out that long but as a whole I thought our secondary played just fine. You cannot expect lock down coverage on every snap. I thought Tennessee game plan to run a lot of playaction on us was smart and it was effective early.

Coaching is something that might have to change after this season. I think we need a young offensive minded coach to pair with our Young offense. We have the foundation here for something great. I think by midseason we'll see what we all want it to be like.
          Good take. Pretty much what I'm thinking. BTW, what did you think of Jewell? I liked that play he blew up in the backfield, but he didn't impress with his tackling overall. He's a decent relief guy, but not so sure he's starter quality.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
            Good take. Pretty much what I'm thinking. BTW, what did you think of Jewell? I liked that play he blew up in the backfield, but he didn't impress with his tackling overall. He's a decent relief guy, but not so sure he's starter quality.
            Neither was Davis, imo. Jewell is a smart man and instinctive he just lacks God given speed. I was pleased overall with his performance for sure. I think with more starter reps he'll be a better version of Davis. I think the combo of Johnson and Jewell is a good pair myself but I am hawkeye biased LOL
            sigpic

Comment

Neither was Davis, imo. Jewell is a smart man and instinctive he just lacks God given speed. I was pleased overall with his performance for sure. I think with more starter reps he'll be a better version of Davis. I think the combo of Johnson and Jewell is a good pair myself but I am hawkeye biased LOL
              That's a decent take. We'll see how it pans out. Either way, I wish we had better depth at ILB.
              sigpic

Comment

He was good enough against the run but the way he was coming down every play he should have been. He’s got to do a better job reading the oline to determine if it’s a run play or play action. Him coming up near the LoS on every play fake really put our secondary in a bad spot. He’s definitely on the slow side but you can make up for that if you can read and diagnose. Those crossing routes they killed us with would have taken longer to develop had he got an adequate depth in his zone drop. Then Simmons has a chance at making a play coming down from his S spot. I was disappointed considering many thought that play recognition was a strength of his coming out of college. It may still be and he could’ve just been overly worried about Derrick Henry but last night wasn’t great for him.

Although the one time I did notice he got a good drop, he would have had an INT, but Harris or Casey tipped at the line.

In general though I hate zone coverage. You need incredible athletes and incredibly smart players who communicate very well on the field for it to work. Our secondary can be fine with it for the most part but our LBs are not up to par there and that includes dropping Reed, Attaochu, and Chubb back into coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  He was good enough against the run but the way he was coming down every play he should have been. He’s got to do a better job reading the oline to determine if it’s a run play or play action. Him coming up near the LoS on every play fake really put our secondary in a bad spot. He’s definitely on the slow side but you can make up for that if you can read and diagnose. Those crossing routes they killed us with would have taken longer to develop had he got an adequate depth in his zone drop. Then Simmons has a chance at making a play coming down from his S spot. I was disappointed considering many thought that play recognition was a strength of his coming out of college. It may still be and he could’ve just been overly worried about Derrick Henry but last night wasn’t great for him.

Although the one time I did notice he got a good drop, he would have had an INT, but Harris or Casey tipped at the line.

In general though I hate zone coverage. You need incredible athletes and incredibly smart players who communicate very well on the field for it to work. Our secondary can be fine with it for the most part but our LBs are not up to par there and that includes dropping Reed, Attaochu, and Chubb back into coverage.
                  I agree about the zone coverage being used - especially on blitzes. We get nickled and dimed to death.

Man, it's like death by inches out there
                  sigpic

Comment

I do like that our OL had a good game penalty wise. I do think Lock had a lot of pressure on him.

Our rookie CB Michael O looks good in Vic's defense.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                      I do like that our OL had a good game penalty wise. I do think Lock had a lot of pressure on him.

Our rookie CB Michael O looks good in Vic's defense.
                      That's a good positive take. Agree there was pressure on Lock. Still, no dumb penalties for the o-line was a good thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

I still have high hopes for the season. If they are later dashed, so be it.

Let's be clear on one thing: Chubb will not realise his full potential until we get a top notch ILB. He could be good, even very good; but still not make the most of his talents as without significant inside pressure, opposion QBs are always going to have that extra split second to get the ball away.

Comment

Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                          I still have high hopes for the season. If they are later dashed, so be it.

Let's be clear on one thing: Chubb will not realise his full potential until we get a top notch ILB. He could be good, even very good; but still not make the most of his talents as without significant inside pressure, opposion QBs are always going to have that extra split second to get the ball away.
                          Playoffs that is the goal every year. We are young and have a lot of room to grow. No reason to give up yet in my eyes.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                            That's a good positive take. Agree there was pressure on Lock. Still, no dumb penalties for the o-line was a good thing.
                            Agreed

We saw growth. This is real life things are not going to all the sudden turn around like in the movies. As long as I see growth I am happy.

Comment

How we respond this week is what matters!

1. Hold onto the ball!!!! The Gordon fumble changed the momentum of the game leading to a TD.

2. Lock’s gotta step it up in the red zone, missing Vannett in the End Zone was another momentum killer, could have gone in 14-7 at the half.

3. Don’t leave it up to the refs! We played pretty good overall, the questionable call on Johnson took away a Ojemudia pick and that would have changed the game.

4. Fangio needs to remember the “death by inches” saying that got him the job. He has to be prepared for every situation and the next time he says “I missed that because I was too preoccupied with calling plays should be his last as Broncos employee.

I watched the 49ers, Cowboys, Eagles, and Bucs all lose this weekend. Only the Bucs lost to a playoff team from last year. I believe those teams will all bounce back this week, and that gives me hope the Broncos can surprise us.
                              sigpic

Comment

I am not sure if this has been brought up, but Lock threw 33 passes and did not get sacked and did not throw a pic. Whether it's him, his Oline, or a combo, including all blockers (which is what I think), that's promising. Conclusive evidence, no. But a good continuation of a positive trend that began with Drew's initial start.

Comment

Working...
                                X