• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    people can whine about coaching
    whine about elway
    whine about this and whine about that
    and end it all with the " we heard all the excuses every year"

BUT

on offense we do have the youngest starting offense in the league think about it
    QB 2nd year 6 games under his belt
    PL, 3rd
    risner,2nd
    cushinberry rookie
    TE, 2nd yr
    sutton 3rd
    patrick 3rd
    beck 2nd
    jeudy rook
    hamilton, 3rd
    KJ rook
    cleveland was out there...a rook

that is a lot of youth !!, then consider no spring camps, no preseason, new OC, all the team learning a new offense

as for the defense, sure we can get mad and cry fire the coach like a clueless dweeb
    but we were playing a team that played in the AFC title game last year, with a beast rb that you must stop, you pick your poison, let the titans running game obliterate your defense, or focus on henry and hope the pass defense can contain and consider this lil point....they have the number 1 red zone offense in the league last year
    while we are a week and a half into adjusting for life without von, with chubb clearly not back yet, and playing two rookie CBs

its not all doom and gloom, we will start to win some games
    I understand your take. And I agree with most of it. But whining about does not accurately describe bad clock management. It's not a 'but no preseason" thing. It was blatant error by a HC who has been around the block for some time. If he wasn't "feeling it", as he has not been a HC for a long time, he should have talked to his other coaches.

Lets also remember that The Broncos have blown the lead in the final 30 seconds in 6 out of 17 games he's been in Denver.
    Last edited by CanDB; 09-17-2020, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    people can whine about coaching
    whine about elway
    whine about this and whine about that
    and end it all with the " we heard all the excuses every year"

BUT

on offense we do have the youngest starting offense in the league think about it
    QB 2nd year 6 games under his belt
    PL, 3rd
    risner,2nd
    cushinberry rookie
    TE, 2nd yr
    sutton 3rd
    patrick 3rd
    beck 2nd
    jeudy rook
    hamilton, 3rd
    KJ rook
    cleveland was out there...a rook

that is a lot of youth !!, then consider no spring camps, no preseason, new OC, all the team learning a new offense

as for the defense, sure we can get mad and cry fire the coach like a clueless dweeb
    but we were playing a team that played in the AFC title game last year, with a beast rb that you must stop, you pick your poison, let the titans running game obliterate your defense, or focus on henry and hope the pass defense can contain and consider this lil point....they have the number 1 red zone offense in the league last year
    while we are a week and a half into adjusting for life without von, with chubb clearly not back yet, and playing two rookie CBs

its not all doom and gloom, we will start to win some games

Leave a comment:

• Bootleg
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Some on this message board will need to regain consciousness after the shock of that news before they can reply.
    On Broncos Country Tonight, Benjamin Allbright said he was. I've just checked just to be sure... he isn't even close.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Bootleg
    I wonder what the odds were on Garett Bolles being PFF's #1 ranked OT after week 1?
    Some on this message board will need to regain consciousness after the shock of that news before they can reply.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    I'm very enthusiastic about this youth movement. Totally agree with your assessment. Need to see more out of our few vet players. Need coaching staff to get it together. Still, the young nucleus is promising.
    On the bright side of not winning too many games (though I still think we will win 8 or more), imagine if we got one more high draft pick before we "break out"!! OT, DE/OLB, ILB, CB......all sound good to me!!

Leave a comment:

• RocketArm006
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    We seem to be on the same page pretty much on various topics, and the only difference here is that I had us winning a couple more games initially. Of course losing Miller was not in my prediction, and for a moment, losing Sutton long term would have been a bit devastating this soon. Fortunately he'll return soon, and truth is, injuries happen.

But for barely more than a preseason game, we could have easily won, and there might be a few more folks saying more positive things.

I need to see more of Chubb down the road, and I need convincing that some of our coaching is as good as can be expected at this level. I know I harp on it, but time management is a serious coach skill. It usually is a major part of how the half ends and how the game ends. Failure to have clock management skills means you are not a complete HC, although Andy Reid proved that he has more than enough compensating skills to be a champ...and I luv it!

But if folks here were asked to give a snap shot gut feeling, how would they respond to this....."Is the future bright for The Broncos?", I think most would feel decent about it. I feel confident that we have most of the key pieces in place. Probably a couple of players away from being a real contender, and probably a year or two away in terms of chemistry/growth.
    I'm very enthusiastic about this youth movement. Totally agree with your assessment. Need to see more out of our few vet players. Need coaching staff to get it together. Still, the young nucleus is promising.

Leave a comment:

• RocketArm006
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    The problem is that we are still waiting for change and after last Monday Nights performance all us fans see is the same ole same ole 17-14 Loss in the last 30 seconds of the Game just like Last Year we are tired of losing we want to see a winning team.
    I get that. The difference for me is the last several years, we've been sold a false bill of goods - "One vet FA QB away from winning". That was obviously a farce and they ended up having no other recourse than to change to a youth movement/rebuild.

I'm personally ok with tolerating a rebuilding year because at least we finally have some young, promising talent. I never thought this was going to be a winning team this year. Now add in a bunch of injuries.

So we have actually seen change. We're no longer in the vet FA QB philosophy. We're switching to a youth movement/rebuild philosophy.

The problem is that youth movements rarely turn into winning seasons instantly. This is really just a 16 game preseason for 2021 in my eyes. I'm embracing the rebuild philosophy. It's actually quite liberating. I will legit enjoy watching these young guys develop. Next year will be the payoff in my eyes.

As far as coaching is concerned, that is a big question in my mind this year. I hope to heck this staff gets it together this year. This is going to be a very telling season for Vic and the rest of the staff.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
    Some of you are so dramatic, first game of the season, no pre-season. Learn to relax!
    Almost every year there will be posts like these. It's the ole...

A lot of it has to do with unrealistic expectations. This team has a puncher's chance at realizing their potential this season, but I'm already looking at this season as a developmental/rebuilding year. My expectations as far as W/L are not that high, so it's easy to sit back and enjoy watching the young talent.

As many have said, there are definitely some positives to be taken out of that game. I hope to see them improve and compete as the season wears on. If they catch fire and make some sort of magical playoff run, great. Still, as long as they show steady improvement and promise, I will be very encouraged about our chances is 2021.
    We seem to be on the same page pretty much on various topics, and the only difference here is that I had us winning a couple more games initially. Of course losing Miller was not in my prediction, and for a moment, losing Sutton long term would have been a bit devastating this soon. Fortunately he'll return soon, and truth is, injuries happen.

But for barely more than a preseason game, we could have easily won, and there might be a few more folks saying more positive things.

I need to see more of Chubb down the road, and I need convincing that some of our coaching is as good as can be expected at this level. I know I harp on it, but time management is a serious coach skill. It usually is a major part of how the half ends and how the game ends. Failure to have clock management skills means you are not a complete HC, although Andy Reid proved that he has more than enough compensating skills to be a champ...and I luv it!

But if folks here were asked to give a snap shot gut feeling, how would they respond to this....."Is the future bright for The Broncos?", I think most would feel decent about it. I feel confident that we have most of the key pieces in place. Probably a couple of players away from being a real contender, and probably a year or two away in terms of chemistry/growth.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    A lot of it has to do with unrealistic expectations. This team has a puncher's chance at realizing their potential this season, but I'm already looking at this season as a developmental/rebuilding year. My expectations as far as W/L are not that high, so it's easy to sit back and enjoy watching the young talent.

As many have said, there are definitely some positives to be taken out of that game. I hope to see them improve and compete as the season wears on. If they catch fire and make some sort of magical playoff run, great. Still, as long as they show steady improvement and promise, I will be very encouraged about our chances is 2021.
    The problem is that we are still waiting for change and after last Monday Nights performance all us fans see is the same ole same ole 17-14 Loss in the last 30 seconds of the Game just like Last Year we are tired of losing we want to see a winning team.

Leave a comment:

• RocketArm006
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mozzerpete
    replied
    Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
    Some of you are so dramatic, first game of the season, no pre-season. Learn to relax!
    I've learned there exists a fandom-spectrum.

Being positive can be a healthy outlook.

Denver has a realistic shot at Penei Sewell.

Leave a comment:

• XterraRob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I am not sure if this has been brought up, but Lock threw 33 passes and did not get sacked and did not throw a pic. Whether it's him, his Oline, or a combo, including all blockers (which is what I think), that's promising. Conclusive evidence, no. But a good continuation of a positive trend that began with Drew's initial start.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    How we respond this week is what matters!

1. Hold onto the ball!!!! The Gordon fumble changed the momentum of the game leading to a TD.

2. Lock’s gotta step it up in the red zone, missing Vannett in the End Zone was another momentum killer, could have gone in 14-7 at the half.

3. Don’t leave it up to the refs! We played pretty good overall, the questionable call on Johnson took away a Ojemudia pick and that would have changed the game.

4. Fangio needs to remember the “death by inches” saying that got him the job. He has to be prepared for every situation and the next time he says “I missed that because I was too preoccupied with calling plays should be his last as Broncos employee.

I watched the 49ers, Cowboys, Eagles, and Bucs all lose this weekend. Only the Bucs lost to a playoff team from last year. I believe those teams will all bounce back this week, and that gives me hope the Broncos can surprise us.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    That's a good positive take. Agree there was pressure on Lock. Still, no dumb penalties for the o-line was a good thing.
    Agreed

We saw growth. This is real life things are not going to all the sudden turn around like in the movies. As long as I see growth I am happy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X