Calm Down Broncos Country, It's Only Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think the D has good players, and given what they did last year, I'm hopeful they will end up being quite good. So I'm not completely alarmed by them. But I just want to see them make plays to get themselves off the field. There were some very good bright spots on Monday, particularly the run defense. But they just looked that big play, the knockout punch to end drives. I'm sure they'll find it, but until they do, it's a concern.
    Denver's run D was adequate, but it commanded enough attention to allow Tennessee to set up PAP. Pass defense is a combination of pressure and coverage. There were some problems evident in coverage responsibilities and those can be fixed.

The lack of consistent pressure has to do with Miller being out and Chubb not 100%. He played c.75% of the snaps and his level was about 80/85% of normal. It may not be until after the bye that he will play all the snaps at or close to 100%. Good thing Elway re-signed Attaochu.

IDK if the basic pass rush issues can be fixed. Interior pressure seems better than last year, so maybe some help there assisted by some stunts will work. Blitzing usually requires Cover 1/0 and don't know how often that should be used, or if at all. Besides stunts and twists, Zone Blitz could be used. I noticed some Deep Halves looks. If those are to be shown, then straight Cover 2, Tampa 2 and Cover 2 Robber all need to be used so that the QB can't just look at the Deep Halves and say MOFO (Middle Of Field Open)

Denver's average yards per rush and per pass attempt were better than Tennessee's, but the problem was the Broncos ran almost twenty plays less than the Titans (not to be confused with the Titians Can referred to) That is reflected in TOP and D's inability to get off the field. Stupid penalty on Johnson negating Ojemudia's pick did't help there.

Without Miller and a full strength Chubb, Denver will need to be more creative in generating pass rush. Offense needs to step up and help out, too, which they will as time goes by. Denver would have the W had O scored more points. They are young and their playbook is new, and with no preseason it will take a while.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
      Present future past tense?

Hopefully not, because that carousel has been out of control, like the DC position under Shanny. At least Shurmur is a proven OC and fielded decent Eagles and Vikes offenses -and that's with Keenum! Let's give him, and the group of youngsters on offense, some time.
      Pffff! One game is more than enough of a sample size to determine the entire efficacy of our young offense. Especially given the lack of preseason, and virtualized training sessions.

I've seen enough. Pull the rope!

To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        Shurmur is going to have been a mistake

Hopefully not, because that carousel has been out of control, like the DC position under Shanny. At least Shurmur is a proven OC and fielded decent Eagles and Vikes offenses -and that's with Keenum! Let's give him, and the group of youngsters on offense, some time.
        Perfect Passive Infinitive

As for Shurmur, IMO the offensive coaching staff is just fine. The offense is the NFL's youngest, I believe, and the offense is new to all. They are still developing chemistry. Jeudy dropped some passes and Buzz overthrew some open receivers deep. This will improve. Melvin put the ball on the ground, but his TD is an example of how to get the ball into the EZ from inside the +5 (i.e., Tight Wing I with down blocks and a puller)
        Last edited by samparnell; 09-19-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

When we look back, I think we'll say we could have done better there. I really hope Im wrong but he just doesn't seem like the guy for these young worldbeaters we've got on offense right now.
          Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

Why did Fant disappear in the 2nd half?
            Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

When we look back, I think we'll say we could have done better there. I really hope Im wrong but he just doesn't seem like the guy for these young worldbeaters we've got on offense right now.
              Whom would you have preferred?

Comment

Klingon cloaking device?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Klingon cloaking device?
                  Do we know who flipped the switch on the cloaking device? I did not rewatch the game.

Maybe it was Fant himself? Shurmur? Lock? The Tenn Defense?

Hopefully Shurmur, Harman and Lock can tear apart that device
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    Perfect Passive Infinitive

As for Shurmur, IMO the offensive coaching staff is just fine. The offense is the NFL's youngest, I believe, and the offense is new to all. They are still developing chemistry. Jeudy dropped some passes and Buzz overthrew some open receivers deep. This will improve. Melvin put the ball on the ground, but his TD is an example of how to get the ball into the EZ from inside the +5 (i.e., Tight Wing I with down blocks and a puller)
                    Not only is it new...I am pretty sure we were working on more 3 WR formations with Sutton, Hamler and Jeudy where now we are trying to execute 3 TE formations
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                      Unless The Titans seriously changed their D on him, I don't get it either. He was a force in the first half. When he gets moving with the ball, he's a load!

Based on the stats I see, he was 5 for 81 and a TD, ALL in the first half.

Given the way the game evolved, how could he not be involved in the 2nd half??

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        Unless The Titans seriously changed their D on him, I don't get it either. He was a force in the first half. When he gets moving with the ball, he's a load!

Based on the stats I see, he was 5 for 81 and a TD, ALL in the first half.

Given the way the game evolved, how could he not be involved in the 2nd half??
                        Given that the Titans are paid to coach/play football too, I'm guessing they saw Fant was the major force of the Broncos offense and decided they'd do what they needed to take him away. With Jeudy dropping the ball a few times, and none of the other receivers scaring anyone enough to double cover them, it kind of makes sense they would go ahead and take away Denver's biggest weapon and allow the other guys to beat them, if they could.

It should also be noted that Fant carved up the Titans particularly when they were playing zone coverage, so a quick shift to man, changes that dynamic.

With Hamler playing this week, and hopefully Sutton, it changes what a defense can do against Denver and will allow Fant more opportunities without the defense keying fully on him.

Comment

Lock fixates on one target and it wasn't Fant then.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Working...
                          X