Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible play call on 3rd and 2 at end of game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MileHigh Salute
    replied
    Why not just line up a OL or DT in the backfield for a jumbo package and run the damn ball. If nothing else you at least get a yard and make it even tougher on the defense to determine what you do next.

It is just the same stuff over and over where we beat ourselves and over think everything

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
    And we need to know the play call too. If it was to wait for the Hamler cross... then blame is on PS. I’m operating under the impression PS isn’t that dumb and he called for a quick hitter... and when ball doesn’t arrive, he went off script.
    This is something only really known inside the coaching staff and some players but from what the announcer said the Broncos started calling short passing plays after Lock got hurt. He mentioned they were doing it to for the back up QB.

Like the fans the announcers are speculating. Sometimes they get more inside info than the fans but who knows on this case.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    MHR has a piece up that had the injury play from an angle behind Lock and I have to say my theory was completely incorrect. Fant was 1 on 1 but the defender had inside leverage and Fant didn't make an outside move until 10 yards. So that wasn't an option. And Hamler did come wide open in the middle of the field, but it was after Lock started scrambling right, and Lock was tripped and started to stumble just before Hamler got there open, so Lock's attention turned to the ground and he couldn't see Hamler.

So on that one play, Lock didn't actually hold it too long, as I claimed, he just didn't have a viable option early enough.
    Throwing the ball away is always a viable option. The good Qbs even know how to do it without drawing a penalty. Young Qbs may draw penalties but they learn by trying to do it. I would even say throwing the ball way is not just a useful tool in avoiding negative plays but it is also one of the best tools for a QB in avoiding hits / injuries.

Would be nice to see Lock try it and not just assume he had no viable options.

Look the NFL is hard. Most people will fail that is just the fact of the game. The good will try...and fail...and will learn. Lock has 7 starts under his belt and we are just fans.

Hopefully the coaches are not being as hard as some of the fans but being hard enough to help a kid grow. Hopefully the coaches are not making as many excuses as some of these fans either or he will never grow.
    Last edited by Hadez; 09-21-2020, 05:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fraguela09
    replied
    And we need to know the play call too. If it was to wait for the Hamler cross... then blame is on PS. I’m operating under the impression PS isn’t that dumb and he called for a quick hitter... and when ball doesn’t arrive, he went off script.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    That is the main reason I do not think he would have done better than Dris. I am not sure if we score 20 points with Lock at Qb today.

There may be no one outside of Lock who knows why he was holding the ball too long but the answer to that question would be very good information for the coaches to have. Maybe it could be corrected...maybe it can not. We will see.
    MHR has a piece up that had the injury play from an angle behind Lock and I have to say my theory was completely incorrect. Fant was 1 on 1 but the defender had inside leverage and Fant didn't make an outside move until 10 yards. So that wasn't an option. And Hamler did come wide open in the middle of the field, but it was after Lock started scrambling right, and Lock was tripped and started to stumble just before Hamler got there open, so Lock's attention turned to the ground and he couldn't see Hamler.

So on that one play, Lock didn't actually hold it too long, as I claimed, he just didn't have a viable option early enough.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    He’s the backup with very little experience, he’s going to follow the script and probably stick to his first read more often than not. He wouldn’t be a backup if he was a good QB
    That's a very very small sample size. And in both TD drives in game 1 he looked excellent. The game would have been called completely different if Lock had been in there, so I'm not sure we can compare apples to apples.

But I do believe Lock was holding the ball too long today. On the play he got injured I think he had two chances to throw the ball for potential completions and didn't.
    That is the main reason I do not think he would have done better than Dris. I am not sure if we score 20 points with Lock at Qb today.

There may be no one outside of Lock who knows why he was holding the ball too long but the answer to that question would be very good information for the coaches to have. Maybe it could be corrected...maybe it can not. We will see.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    I agree

What is sad is I am not sure if Lock plays the game better than Dris did based on what I saw against Ten. I would like to think he would play better but I have a hard time remembering anything I saw on the field in 2020 that makes me think Lock would have been better than Dris.
    That's a very very small sample size. And in both TD drives in game 1 he looked excellent. The game would have been called completely different if Lock had been in there, so I'm not sure we can compare apples to apples.

But I do believe Lock was holding the ball too long today. On the play he got injured I think he had two chances to throw the ball for potential completions and didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    He’s the backup with very little experience, he’s going to follow the script and probably stick to his first read more often than not. He wouldn’t be a backup if he was a good QB
    That's why he's a backup QB in the NFL. From the behind view (from Pittsburgh's side) it looked like Gordon never had his head around until Driskell was on his way down, if he throws that ball I don't think Gordon ever has a chance to catch it. Denver had a good play call, Pittsburgh had a better one.
    I agree

What is sad is I am not sure if Lock plays the game better than Dris did based on what I saw against Ten. I would like to think he would play better but I have a hard time remembering anything I saw on the field in 2020 that makes me think Lock would have been better than Dris.

Leave a comment:

• L.M.
    replied
    We ran for a combined 104 yds, 26 attempts, 4 yds per attempt average. Not fabulous but definitely still worth running on 3rd and 2 IMO.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Not sure what Shurmur is thinking. He is trying to be too cute with a roster that just isn’t that talented or experienced.

The shovel pass on the goal line last week and today choosing to pass with 2yards to go and minimal protection. Really frustrating.

Only possible explanation is a blown protection by Gordon, which has its own issues too.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    I get what you are saying but the guy was open over the middle before the defender got close enough to interfere with the pass. At worst on 4th and the game the qb needs to just toss the ball some where.

Good qbs make that throw. If the QB can not make the throw find another QB
    That's why he's a backup QB in the NFL. From the behind view (from Pittsburgh's side) it looked like Gordon never had his head around until Driskell was on his way down, if he throws that ball I don't think Gordon ever has a chance to catch it. Denver had a good play call, Pittsburgh had a better one.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied
    Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
    Melvin Gordan is paid should have ran it.
    Yep 2 yards to go, run run. Earlier in the game there was a run situation where we passed and it worked out and I was delighted that Shurmur zigged when likely most of us zagged ........but with PITT pass rush and this being end game, 3rd down RUN, 4th down RUN would have been my decision if I were making the choice.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Run the ball. Simple as that.

And on 4th they can’t send everyone. Either TE or RB has to have protection against the same play they sacked him twice already.

Broncos are finding new and frustrating ways to lose. Just what bad teams find a way to do. When will it change?

Leave a comment:

• roushmartin6
    replied
    At least one of the calls should have been some sort of run, either with Gordon or Driskel

Leave a comment:

• swingarm
    replied
    3rd and 2 so you have 2 plays and plenty of time left. Gordon has been good enough that I'm way more confident with him running the ball to get 2 yards. I guess I could argue in this situation it's also less risky. To me it's a head scratcher of play calling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X