Pass Protection is going to stop us from making the playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Didn’t the RB miss the free rusher? Or am I thinking of another play? There were so many free rushers they’ve all blended together lol
    As I recall the RB went out on a route.

So the question is was he even part of the pass protection?

We have seemed to have a lot of weak RBs over the years in terms of helping pass protection. I still kind of live in the glory years of Alex Gibbs on that issue tho.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
      I mean in reality we were going against the number 1 sack team in football last year. Cushenberry will be just fine but this isn't college so his play will have to step up some. Overcoming a front on pass rush is about impossible for QB's so that is one area we can't break down going forward. Playoffs???? nope not unless we get healthy real quick and everyone, including defense, improves a large amount.
      This is a good point.

I think there is reason to think the LT, Guards and Center can grow from the game.

The RT on the other hand was showing this level of play in 2019. I kept it to myself but when they announced he would be competing for the LT I was just
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Was pass protection downright horrendous against arguably the best front 7 in the NFL? Yes. Did our weakest link Wilkinson get destroyed by a DPOY candidate? Yes. Is Wilkinson ever going to be starter-worthy material? No. Is a 35-year-old Dotson who couldn’t even beat out Wilkinson in camp realistically going to fare much better? Optimistically, maybe. Is Lock/Driskel not throwing the ball away/holding onto the ball too long/missing open reads hurting our offense too? Yes.

But here’s a reality check— our chances for the playoffs are extremely slim bordering on nonexistent. Why? Injuries. As of right now, we are without Lock, Lindsay, Sutton, James, Miller, Jones, and Bouye. I don’t care if we have All-Pro offensive linemen at every starting spot, no team is making it to the playoffs with Driskel as the starting QB for a significant portion of the season. With our roster construction, the team is already asking a lot of young, inexperienced players to step up and make an impact— this aspect of our personnel is only exacerbated with the sheer amount of injuries to our key starters. As we start to see the hope of our season take a nosedive, this year will basically turn into a 14-game preseason to really evaluate our young players and see them battle week-in and week-out. Like Risner said, there are no “moral victories”. I just want to see the team stay resilient and play hard no matter how short-handed they become. BUT, as a fan and especially here on BCMB, our expectations need to be tempered— as much as we want our guys to dominate each game. I say this because the notion that our pass-protection alone will stop us from making the postseason is ignoring the much bigger (and quite frankly, grim) picture.

With all that being said, OT is 100% the biggest need going into the next offseason.
        2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
        Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          On the last 4th down play of the game on offense for us...who do you think was supposed to block the free runner at the QB?
          Nobody. Gordon was the primary so that was one of the few times where he released without chipping and was right. The QB should have “blocked” the free rusher

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            Nobody. Gordon was the primary so that was one of the few times where he released without chipping and was right. The QB should have “blocked” the free rusher
            So your take is the play was designed to allow a free rusher on the QB.

Then when it happened the Qb just stood there and took the sack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              So your take is the play was designed to allow a free rusher on the QB.

Then when it happened the Qb just stood there and took the sack.
              Yeah it isn’t like that’s uncommon. Pretty much every 5 wide set will see a 6 man blitz and the QB is responsible for the free rusher. Screen passes invite free rushers. Sometimes the QB has to be responsible for the extra guy.

The issue was that Driskell didn’t recognize the blitz soon enough. If he did then he probably goes to the decoy route which was Patrick who was wide open. But he didn’t see it quick enough or he thought Gordon would be able to cut quick enough for him to get the pass off. It would’ve been a tough angle either way but it’s probably a TD if he can complete the pass.

Comment

playoffs? LMAOOOOOOOO

Were you seriously thinking that for this year?

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  Yeah it isn’t like that’s uncommon. Pretty much every 5 wide set will see a 6 man blitz and the QB is responsible for the free rusher. Screen passes invite free rushers. Sometimes the QB has to be responsible for the extra guy.

The issue was that Driskell didn’t recognize the blitz soon enough. If he did then he probably goes to the decoy route which was Patrick who was wide open. But he didn’t see it quick enough or he thought Gordon would be able to cut quick enough for him to get the pass off. It would’ve been a tough angle either way but it’s probably a TD if he can complete the pass.
                  Driskel is a career backup coming cold off the bench, I think the dude has only ever won 1 start in his career. You can’t expect him to make a play with a free rusher. That’s why it was dumb in the first place to even pass, don’t put your backup QB in that position, just run the ball.

Comment

Rookie corner was our "biggest" problem, that drop was pitiful. No speed, no coverage skills, what else is there?

Backup QB was our bright spot, excited to see him gel with WR's in the next week.

Let's not run up the middle every time.

Pass protection was hard to watch...
                    [sigpic

Comment

Driskel is a career backup coming cold off the bench, I think the dude has only ever won 1 start in his career. You can’t expect him to make a play with a free rusher. That’s why it was dumb in the first place to even pass, don’t put your backup QB in that position, just run the ball.
                      I mean he may have won 1 game. But you also have to look at the teams he was on. They where all pretty garbage. I am pretty sure we have more talent on our team then the lions of last year or 2016-2018 Bengals.
                      sigpic
                      oakland raders gm
                      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                        I mean he may have won 1 game. But you also have to look at the teams he was on. They where all pretty garbage. I am pretty sure we have more talent on our team then the lions of last year or 2016-2018 Bengals.
                        That wasn’t my point, I wasn’t saying anything bad about Driskel, he’s what we have now and I hope he lights it up. I was saying Shurmur had no business putting him in a position to win the game when Gordon could’ve easily got the first. Your backup QB is in, don’t over complicate it, just hand the ball off.

Comment

You still want the Kubiak/Cousins combo with the way they’ve looked this year??
                          Absolutely. We have the personal to run shanby /Kubiaks system.

Comment

That wasn’t my point, I wasn’t saying anything bad about Driskel, he’s what we have now and I hope he lights it up. I was saying Shurmur had no business putting him in a position to win the game when Gordon could’ve easily got the first. Your backup QB is in, don’t over complicate it, just hand the ball off.
                            I for sure have a problem with the OC what are these guys thinking when calling plays? The get paid Top Dollar to call plays like they did on 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 and not even make it LOL. You are absolutely right all they had to was run MG that is all and they would of made it. Now I would of called a Toss Sweep Left on that play 1st and I would of guaranteed that MG would of picked it up Denver had the Momentum and the OC lost it .

Comment

Well yeah we should have ran on 3rd and 2 and it’s probably a moot point or even 4th and 2. But we didn’t and the play call was actually a good one, it just didn’t get executed. It is what it is. That arrow route to the RB is probably going to be one of Shurmur’s money plays this season though. They did it against the Titans from the pistol with Gordon and Lindsay and it was wide open. With the game on the line they went back to another variation designed to beat zone coverage. The play was there, Driskell probably could’ve drifted back and lollipopped it up there off his back foot and completed it for a 1st.

Overall though, I don’t think we’re losing from a lack of talent. It’s just a lack of experience across the board to include the coaching staff. This team needed a normal offseason more than any other team and that’s showing up big time in these first few games. But Fant has looked great so far, Jeudy can’t be covered in man coverage, Hamler looked great yesterday, and Gordon has ran well and looked good as a receiver. None of the RBs are chipping when releasing for routes though and that seems to be more Shurmur falling into a coaching pitfall of relying on a mobile QB to beat free rushers, I have to think that’ll change pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                                Let's talk playoffs in another 3 years. Elway blew it not bringing in Mike Shanahan and Cousins with Kubiak when the fire was hot.
                                To be fair, Cousins, nor any other QB would survive behind this oline.....

Comment

Working...
                                X