Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pass Protection is going to stop us from making the playoffs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pass Protection is going to stop us from making the playoffs

    This year I am trying something new. I use to watch the Bronco games multiple times and have in depth conversations about the Broncos. This year I have 3 TVs showing multiple games at once. It is interesting as I get to compare teams in real time.

    One thing that has stood out to me is that the Broncos Pass Protection is much worse than teams that will probably make the playoffs. There are teams that do have some pass protection issues but I do not think they will be playoff teams. Our RT spot is bad....arguably one of the worst offensive weakness in the NFL.

    I think we only have one glaring hole...the RT. The problem I see is I think other parts of the pass protection (OL+TE+RB) will make questionable decisions because of the huge question mark at RT.

    To be fair other teams have problems of their own. I am confident the 72 Dolphins will be toasting again in 2020.

    I also get we will not see the coaches or Elway addressing our pass protection issues to the media/fans. They do not want to help the opposing teams do their job in trying to prepare for us.

    What I do hope is going on is some honest conversations in the Broncos building about the things on this team that are going to prevent us from making the playoffs. One of the things I kept hearing out of Broncos before the season was the outside pass rush was dominating the pass protection in practice. The conversation should have started then...is our pass rush that good or is our pass protection that bad....what options...if any area there.

    I will give some credit...the group of Cush, Risner and Glasgow do look promising. There have been a couple of decisions in this group but I wonder how much of it is new guys playing with no training camp. I am hesitant to say this after two games but the LT is even looking better than what we saw the previous years. The pass protection is a group thing so I also wonder how much of the quick pressure given up by the RT is messing with the chemistry of the unit as a whole.

    Is it better to let a vet keep struggling with the hope as a team we can figure it out? Maybe is it better to poach someone's practice squad for a player and give a young guy a shot. We have Dotson on the team at what point is it a good idea to give him a shot?

    If there is not conversation about this between the coaches and the front office...as in my eye the pass protection has been a problem since the 2015 season....Joe Ellis should start looking to clean house.

    Is Joe Ellils not tired of watching this offense struggle since 2015 in large part because we can not figure out the pass protection?

    No moves need to be made today but in the various business positions I have held it is not good form to fire someone out of the blue. Typically there are conversations to be had about the short comings of the business and give people a chance to improve before letting them go. Some larger businesses will even have official process...PIP programs. I hope the lines of communication have been had in the past between Ellis <> Elway <> Coaches and they keep going on about the inability to fix the same problems year in and year out.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

  • #2
    Thin along the offensive line, thin at inside linebacker, no depth at corner, poor quarterback play in week 1 and week 2, here we are again. Different year, same issues, the wheels continue to be spun. We had no back to back losing season since the 70's, Elway got us ready for four in a row in 2020. Wilkerson has gotten worse, some how.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
      Thin along the offensive line, thin at inside linebacker, no depth at corner, poor quarterback play in week 1 and week 2, here we are again. Different year, same issues, the wheels continue to be spun. We had no back to back losing season since the 70's, Elway got us ready for four in a row in 2020. Wilkerson has gotten worse, some how.
      I mean the roster was constructed with depth, injuries forced the depth guys to play.
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
        I mean the roster was constructed with depth, injuries forced the depth guys to play.
        Besides James sitting out for Covid and Lindsay who else involved in pass protection has been injured forcing depth guys to play?
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

        Comment


        • #5
          Oline will def be a factor in us not making the playoffs. But injuries will play a bigger role imo.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hadez View Post

            If there is not conversation about this between the coaches and the front office...as in my eye the pass protection has been a problem since the 2015 season....Joe Ellis should start looking to clean house.
            Exactly why Elway should be gone as GM.

            The coaches have changed the results are the same.

            The players have changed and the results are the same.

            Elway was a great player and I appreciate his contributions to this team. But it's clear he has no idea how to build a roster unless he has a Hall of Fame QB.

            I'll say this - Peyton Manning was the common denominator in 4 different head coaches (Dungy, Caldwell, Fox, Kubiak) and 3 different GMs (Bill Polian, Chris Polian, Elway) reaching the Super Bowl.
            Last edited by BroncosB2B; 09-21-2020, 07:41 AM.
            My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

            Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

            America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

            Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BroncosB2B View Post
              Exactly why Elway should be gone as GM.

              The coaches have changed the results are the same.

              The players have changed and the results are the same.

              Elway was a great player and I appreciate his contributions to this team. But it's clear he has no idea how to build a roster unless he has a Hall of Fame QB.

              I'll say this - Peyton Manning was the common denominator in 4 different head coaches (Dungy, Caldwell, Fox, Kubiak) and 3 different GMs (Bill Polian, Chris Polian, Elway) reaching the Super Bowl.
              To be fair the majority of GMs throughout NFL history don't know how to build a roster without a HOF quarterback.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Where’s that dumb Jim Mora “playoffs!” rant when you need it??

                Comment


                • #9
                  Manning was garbage in 2015... and elway was the common denominator in every superbowl 8 we have been a part of.... there are only 4 teams that have won the superbowl more recently than we have.... we have more superbowls than the majority of the league... elway never gets credit for a smooth transition out of the tebow era. If not for elway manning doesnt show up and fans are still crying about tebow. He also was responsible for flipping this team from an offensive juggernaut that got embarrassed in a superbowl to one of the best ever defenses in 2015. People who expect superbowls every single year and over look injuries and rt opting out and obvious improvements i will never understand. Are we watching the same sport? Who could they have aquired or can aquire right now or since james opted out thats a realistic option? Or even after wirfs was drafted. Who was available? Ol is thin accross the league. This team is decimated by injuries to key players at key positions and we played 2 playoff teams tough. I dont understand what the expectations are and why a revolving door at gm and coach every year equals more wins and not what the browns are every year.... stability is essential in quality nfl teams.
                  Last edited by Tdeng88; 09-21-2020, 07:59 AM. Reason: Excuse me 8 not 10 my bad

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    This year I am trying something new. I use to watch the Bronco games multiple times and have in depth conversations about the Broncos. This year I have 3 TVs showing multiple games at once. It is interesting as I get to compare teams in real time.

                    One thing that has stood out to me is that the Broncos Pass Protection is much worse than teams that will probably make the playoffs. There are teams that do have some pass protection issues but I do not think they will be playoff teams. Our RT spot is bad....arguably one of the worst offensive weakness in the NFL.

                    I think we only have one glaring hole...the RT. The problem I see is I think other parts of the pass protection (OL+TE+RB) will make questionable decisions because of the huge question mark at RT.

                    To be fair other teams have problems of their own. I am confident the 72 Dolphins will be toasting again in 2020.

                    I also get we will not see the coaches or Elway addressing our pass protection issues to the media/fans. They do not want to help the opposing teams do their job in trying to prepare for us.

                    What I do hope is going on is some honest conversations in the Broncos building about the things on this team that are going to prevent us from making the playoffs. One of the things I kept hearing out of Broncos before the season was the outside pass rush was dominating the pass protection in practice. The conversation should have started then...is our pass rush that good or is our pass protection that bad....what options...if any area there.

                    I will give some credit...the group of Cush, Risner and Glasgow do look promising. There have been a couple of decisions in this group but I wonder how much of it is new guys playing with no training camp. I am hesitant to say this after two games but the LT is even looking better than what we saw the previous years. The pass protection is a group thing so I also wonder how much of the quick pressure given up by the RT is messing with the chemistry of the unit as a whole.

                    Is it better to let a vet keep struggling with the hope as a team we can figure it out? Maybe is it better to poach someone's practice squad for a player and give a young guy a shot. We have Dotson on the team at what point is it a good idea to give him a shot?

                    If there is not conversation about this between the coaches and the front office...as in my eye the pass protection has been a problem since the 2015 season....Joe Ellis should start looking to clean house.

                    Is Joe Ellils not tired of watching this offense struggle since 2015 in large part because we can not figure out the pass protection?

                    No moves need to be made today but in the various business positions I have held it is not good form to fire someone out of the blue. Typically there are conversations to be had about the short comings of the business and give people a chance to improve before letting them go. Some larger businesses will even have official process...PIP programs. I hope the lines of communication have been had in the past between Ellis <> Elway <> Coaches and they keep going on about the inability to fix the same problems year in and year out.
                    Go back and look at each of the sacks from yesterday. Replay each one until you get an idea how each of the O-Linemen did on each sack. Ask yourself if Elijah Wilkinson was the only guy getting beat on each of those sacks? Pass protection includes TEs, Backs and receivers. Hard to tell exactly what was the pass protection called for on each of the pass attempts that resulted in a sack, so focusing on the O-Line is a good place to start.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Playoffs??? Playoffs???

                      The T position here has been the bane of this team for years. Agreed that it is a major factor in this offense being horrible for 5 years.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Let's talk playoffs in another 3 years. Elway blew it not bringing in Mike Shanahan and Cousins with Kubiak when the fire was hot.
                        Last edited by rst08tierney; 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          Go back and look at each of the sacks from yesterday. Replay each one until you get an idea how each of the O-Linemen did on each sack. Ask yourself if Elijah Wilkinson was the only guy getting beat on each of those sacks? Pass protection includes TEs, Backs and receivers. Hard to tell exactly what was the pass protection called for on each of the pass attempts that resulted in a sack, so focusing on the O-Line is a good place to start.
                          I would go even further and look at every play the pass protection broke down if the QB was sacked or not. At this point I would even suggest our ability to develop a QB is being hindered by the ability to properly execute pass protection.

                          There is a lot we as fans will not know. What was the call...what was the responsibility of each member of the pass protection...were there any checks made? We can make assumptions about how pressure gets through and could it have been picked up....we will miss if maybe something else was designed to happen.

                          What I do think has been obvious is the lack of ability from the RT. From what I saw in reports from practices before the season....this was happening there too.

                          How much is the chemistry on the pass protection being affected by how the 2020 season has come together? How much is the chemistry being affected by people seeing the RT fail in practices before the season and fail in 2 games?
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                            Let's talk playoffs in another 3 years. Elway blew it not bringing in Mike Shanahan and Cousins with Kubiak when the fire was hot.
                            You still want the Kubiak/Cousins combo with the way they’ve looked this year??

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                              Let's talk playoffs in another 3 years. Elway blew it not bringing in Mike Shanahan and Cousins with Kubiak when the fire was hot.
                              Vikings are 0-2.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X