Injuries hitting hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries hitting hard

So I am sure people saw the headlines of all of the really good players getting hurt across the NFL. I do not have metrics of any kind of this and while injuries happen every year it does seem to be hitting the NFL harder in 2020.

Lets look at the Broncos

39 mil in cap space on the defensive side of the ball currently on IR in our best player Von Miller and one of our best cover guys in Bouye. This also include Justin Strnad...from what I have seen so far we may be missing him as he probably would have played better than 47.

All of these offensive play makers have missed significant time

...with a max so far of 2.0 games

Sutton - 1.5 game
    Hamler - 1 game
    Lindsay - 1.5 game
    Lock - 0.75 game
    Juedy - 0.5 game

Not really injury but James has been out 2 games, While we did get his cap space to work with we did not really know about it until there was not much to be done with the cap given back.

One thing about business is it really does not matter what happens in terms of people....the business is expected to perform. I would say this is even more so for the NFL. As a fan I expect the team to make the playoffs PERIOD That is the goal every year! Injuries should be an opportunity for another guy to step up, for coaches to maybe find an unexpected better player or at worse to coach up some depth.

It is a little easier for me to stay out of the deep end of negativity when I am looking at things like this though.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    So I am sure people saw the headlines of all of the really good players getting hurt across the NFL. I do not have metrics of any kind of this and while injuries happen every year it does seem to be hitting the NFL harder in 2020.

Lets look at the Broncos

39 mil in cap space on the defensive side of the ball currently on IR in our best player Von Miller and one of our best cover guys in Bouye. This also include Justin Strnad...from what I have seen so far we may be missing him as he probably would have played better than 47.

All of these offensive play makers have missed significant time

...with a max so far of 2.0 games

Sutton - 1.5 game
    Hamler - 1 game
    Lindsay - 1.5 game
    Lock - 0.75 game
    Juedy - 0.5 game

Not really injury but James has been out 2 games, While we did get his cap space to work with we did not really know about it until there was not much to be done with the cap given back.

One thing about business is it really does not matter what happens in terms of people....the business is expected to perform. I would say this is even more so for the NFL. As a fan I expect the team to make the playoffs PERIOD That is the goal every year! Injuries should be an opportunity for another guy to step up, for coaches to maybe find an unexpected better player or at worse to coach up some depth.

It is a little easier for me to stay out of the deep end of negativity when I am looking at things like this though.
    Agreed.

While injuries happen to every team. Not many teams besides SF have major injuries in so many major positions like us. However, the next man mentality should be applied. While we did lose both games, I think our team as a whole has stepped up big time despite those injuries. They could have easily used all the injuries as an excuse to give up already, especially against Pitt, but we were very close to winning both games. Which you can make the case both teams will be playoff teams this year. With the amount of injuries we sustained, there is zero reason we should have still be in the game against Pitt. I think credit should be given to our coaches.

Comment

The way you overcome injuries is by having good depth on your roster. Elway has failed to build a deep roster.

Second, James was a waste of money. He should have never been signed. The reports coming out of Miami were that he lacks motivation and would quit once he got paid. Well, seems to be the case...
      My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

I do believe it is essential to build the best roster we possibly can. Maybe Elway hasn't done that. Von Miller, Drew Lock, Courtland Sutton, AJ Bouye, JJ, Hamler, and Bradley Chubb is not 100% yet. That is a lot of talent to try and replace on a roster. If you can replace that in a weeks time you either have a remarkable roster or a roster full of other guys you won't have for long. Great teams overcome injuries. Even SF may not be able to overcome theirs and they went to the Super Bowl last year.

Comment

I see a lot of people being optimistic and that’s great but the facts remain. We already lost 2 conference games and our division might be the toughest in the AFC.

The bulk of our big name starters are out. We have another tough game next week that thankfully isn’t a conference game but our chances of winning are extremely low.

Yes we are only 2 weeks in but what we’ve seen in 2 weeks shouldn’t instill much faith in fans and to be without so many starters, it’s real easy to give up on the season already. Especially when trying to evaluate so many young players.

I said after week 1 we would be lucky to win 5 games. Now I’m thinking 3. We will be a bottom 5 team this year and we shouldn’t be. But it’s hard to overcome so many injuries especially when we didn’t have an OL to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosB2B View Post
            The way you overcome injuries is by having good depth on your roster. Elway has failed to build a deep roster.

Second, James was a waste of money. He should have never been signed. The reports coming out of Miami were that he lacks motivation and would quit once he got paid. Well, seems to be the case...
            This is my take as well. The FO spent too much time trying to build the roster with aged vet FAs. Depth has been an issue for quite some time. Now we're in a rebuilding phase with a very thin roster. Hard to win a lot of games when you're banking on an extremely young roster with little depth.

Totally agree on James, too. I was never a fan of that signing - especially considering how ridiculously expensive he was.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post
              I see a lot of people being optimistic and that’s great but the facts remain. We already lost 2 conference games and our division might be the toughest in the AFC.

The bulk of our big name starters are out. We have another tough game next week that thankfully isn’t a conference game but our chances of winning are extremely low.

Yes we are only 2 weeks in but what we’ve seen in 2 weeks shouldn’t instill much faith in fans and to be without so many starters, it’s real easy to give up on the season already. Especially when trying to evaluate so many young players.

I said after week 1 we would be lucky to win 5 games. Now I’m thinking 3. We will be a bottom 5 team this year and we shouldn’t be. But it’s hard to overcome so many injuries especially when we didn’t have an OL to begin with.
              Well at least they will get another high draft pick

Comment

James was signed out of desperation and then was a gamble. Having the luxury (curse?) of hindsight we should have steered clear. His signing has hurt this team immensely.

Injuries league-wide, I don't know if they are up compared to other seasons, but there are a number of players out. We just happen to be bearing the brunt it would seem.
                Last edited by Rastic; 09-21-2020, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I was not very happy with the tackle efforts the off season before James either.

Our problem is not that we did bad things on the OT in 2020...our problem was we made bad OT tackles moves in 2019 and 2018 so by the time 2020 came around we had too many holes to fix them all.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

It's always a good idea to have good depth obviously but how do you plan using cap space to cover ALL positions?? Losing the starting RT, edge rusher, CB, WR, RB and QB??? Now the depth is getting hurt with Dre'Mont Jones out for 4-6 weeks.

You can only cover so many basis with what cap space there is to work with. Not only that but you have to convince players to play a backup role for you when they might be offered a better situation somewhere else. It's always so easy to sit here and think or say "just get better depth" ....they obviously try to put the best team together they can.

Pretty sure the attitude around here was playoff bound before all the injuries. It is a legitimate excuse for loss's and no team outside of SF has been hit harder.....

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                      It's always a good idea to have good depth obviously but how do you plan using cap space to cover ALL positions?? Losing the starting RT, edge rusher, CB, WR, RB and QB??? Now the depth is getting hurt with Dre'Mont Jones out for 4-6 weeks.

You can only cover so many basis with what cap space there is to work with. Not only that but you have to convince players to play a backup role for you when they might be offered a better situation somewhere else. It's always so easy to sit here and think or say "just get better depth" ....they obviously try to put the best team together they can.

Pretty sure the attitude around here was playoff bound before all the injuries. It is a legitimate excuse for loss's and no team outside of SF has been hit harder.....
                      I hadn't thought about this. You are absolutely on to something there. It's not like baseball where you can bring up guys from the minors to see how they play and then worry about them taking off to another team. Free agency seems to be very different in the NFL where players are changing teams like they change their underwear, (or at least you hope they are changing their underwear )

Comment

“ Defensive end Dre'Mont Jones is expected to miss 4-6 weeks because of a PCL strain and bone bruise in his knee, per Pelissero.”

Comment

You think we can just forfeit the rest of our games so we can secure the 1st spot? At the rate the league may not even have enough players to fill a roster lolol

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                            You think we can just forfeit the rest of our games so we can secure the 1st spot? At the rate the league may not even have enough players to fill a roster lolol
                            Right LOL HaHaHa at this point it is all Comical I cannot get mad anymore.

Comment

I’d like to make a public Broncos forum apology...

The injuries for this Broncos this year isn’t any fault of the players, coaches, “bad luck”, etc. it’s because I drafted many of them on my fantasy team just days before Von’s injury.

Sutton was my starting WR
                              Broncos Defense (Von, Bouye, Jones, Barron, Strnad)
                              Lindsay my flex
                              Lock a late round boom or bust pick
                              Jeudy (thankfully he came back)

Also had Christian McCaffrey for my first pick...

Lamar is my starting QB and he’s on the madden cover too so he’s in for an uphill battle this year.

All kidding aside though I deleted my fantasy football app and never touching it again.
                              Follow me on Twitter
                              @gmoney8150 Personal account

My Broncos account @All_DenBroncos

^^^Follow^^^

Comment

Working...
                              X