Vic Fangio fined $100K for not wearing a mask properly on the sidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Absolutely, when you're at a grocery store wear a mask. That goes for everyone. But the NFL has signed off that every person on the field has tested negative for Covid, or they wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the field. Also an NFL field isn't a public place that anyone can access. So why should people that the NFL has certified don't have covid, surrounded by other people who don't have covid, in a private place have to wear masks? That's not about saving lives, it's about looking like you'e doing something.
    So you're against the rule, not the fact he broke it and got fined,

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      But if the league makes a rule, nothing to be surprised about if fined.

Bt they've selectively enforced the rule. Belichick had on a mask that basically covered just his nose, and he wasn't fined. That also doesn't take into account how ridiculous the rule is considering all of the coaches are tested every day. The rule was put in place because the NFL was initially going to scale back testing to just 3 times per week, but just before the season decided they'd just keep doing daily tests. So the rule is ridiculous.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-for-coaches/

Comment

But you can't spread something you don't have, the coaches have been tested every day, and the NFL certifies they don't have Covid, cause even an inconclusive test would mean they couldn't be anywhere near the team. So if the NFL tests them constantly and the NFL has said thy don't have Covid, why have a rule making them wear masks when you are clearly stating they don't have Covid.

The NFL having this rule is just virtue signalling. However the owners can change rules when they want, with the league randomly fining teams, the owners can quickly get rid of this ridiculous rule.
        The tests aren’t 100% accurate, too many variables, such as they didn’t get the swab far enough in the nose, the amount of virus in the person’s system was too low to register, they’re already on the mend, or the test was taken too early.

We all have to wear masks, they can wear it too, I don’t feel sorry for them.

Comment

So you're against the rule, not the fact he broke it and got fined,
          The rule makes zero sense. And the selective enforcement of a rule that doesn't make sense makes it even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
            The tests aren’t 100% accurate, too many variables, such as they didn’t get the swab far enough in the nose, the amount of virus in the person’s system was too low to register, they’re already on the mend, or the test was taken too early.

By that rationale every player should also wear a mask. Cause their tests may not be 100% accurate either.

Comment

Totally agree. Heck, I've seen many MLBers wearing them while playing. That seems like an extra step, but good on them.

Comment

By that rationale every player should also wear a mask. Cause their tests may not be 100% accurate either.
                Yes, they should be while on the sidelines at least. Unless they’re testing them everyday, every hour, with 100% accurate tests (doesn’t exist).

Comment

Yes, they should be while on the sidelines at least. Unless they’re testing them everyday, every hour, with 100% accurate tests (doesn’t exist).
                  Why just on the sidelines? Players are in closer contact with each other on the field. Maybe players should wear double masks just in case?

Comment

The rule makes zero sense. And the selective enforcement of a rule that doesn't make sense makes it even worse.
                    Lets see how the enforcement part goes. Clearly Fangio was not following the rule.

Comment

Totally agree. Heck, I've seen many MLBers wearing them while playing. That seems like an extra step, but good on them.

Define many. One per team is not many. And most aren't wearing them in the dugouts anymore. At some point people need to take the leap if faith that daily test (while not 100% perfect) still are a good indication that they don't have covid. Especially since league's are immediately taking steps when there's even an inconclusive test.

Comment

Lets see how the enforcement part goes. Clearly Fangio was not following the rule.

Neither were Gruden or Payton. So far no fines for them. In fact you could go through every single game and find the coaches not wearing masks at times. And that doesn't even take into account the ridiculous of Reid and his face shield, I guess somehow air, and particles, can't get around the open visor...

Comment

Define many. One per team is not many. And most aren't wearing them in the dugouts anymore. At some point people need to take the leap if faith that daily test (while not 100% perfect) still are a good indication that they don't have covid. Especially since league's are immediately taking steps when there's even an inconclusive test.
                          I am truthfully not sure how many, but I am surprised that there are even some. That's my point. I never expected to see any, so I am impressed actually that they play with a mask. Those players are really taking it seriously.. Not to say the others aren't.

Comment

Neither were Gruden or Payton. So far no fines for them. In fact you could go through every single game and find the coaches not wearing masks at times. And that doesn't even take into account the ridiculous of Reid and his face shield, I guess somehow air, and particles, can't get around the open visor...
                            I maybe wrong, but I think they are still under review.

Comment

Whether the rule makes sense or not doesn't give Fangio, or anyone else, the right to break the rule. Not liking an empoyler's rules isn't an excuse for breaking them. He knew the rule. The league office sent memos to every team. While whether the rule itself is a good one can be debated, there's no excuse for not following the rules.

And if the NFL is only trying to send a message, that is their right.

Comment

Why just on the sidelines? Players are in closer contact with each other on the field. Maybe players should wear double masks just in case?
                                I really don’t want to get into a mask debate as I feel there’s some hidden political agenda behind this. I’m out.... I knew better than to click on this thread in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X