Broncos looking at Bortles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    But even with those preseason performances, Sloter's NFL career appears to be over. He couldn't get on the field over Driskel in Detroit last year and no teams deemed him worthy of a training camp roster spot this year. Even with expanded practice squads this year he's still unemployed. There are a lot of QBs coming out of college each year, and when you're an undrafted QB who was with 4 franchises in 3 years and now can't find a spot to go, you're probably all done.
    That's all true, that's why I'm saying its all my opinion. I take the guy that balls when in an actual game situation. Word has it that even though he was tossing the ball all over the place in Minnesota, Zimmer and the staff were frustrated because Sloter wasn't getting the little things down in practice. And that's a much bigger hill to climb for a guy like Sloter, who came from a small school, went undradted and was a transition QB from WR.

Maybe he would have been good, maybe he wouldn't have. As far as I could tell, Kyle by far and away passed the eye test. We don't get to see practices. We don't get to see the little things. All we can go off of is what we see on game day. Kyle just seemed like he had that IT. He seemed like he had that moxie.

Same thing with Tebow. When that "anonymous source" came out and said if it was a fair competition, Tim would have been 4th string. Yet when he actually got a chance to start, he was the only QB on the roster that could actually lead. Orton threw a nice ball, and Brady Quinn had experience, but Tebow was the winner. Tebow was the leader. He proved himself to be a guy that the team could huddle around because you knew he would make the play that needed to be made.

Like I said, its all just my opinion, but when you're in the seats and have to sit back and watch Orton, and Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, Flacco, all these guys that are supposed to be "prototypical" QBs that coaches think highly of lead 3 and out drive after 3 and out drive, once you see underdogs like Sloter and Tebow lead scoring drives, making big plays, you can't help but get excited. You can't help but root for these guys.

I understand why coaches have to make the decisions that they do, but I tell you, Bortles is a really boring, lackluster move for me. I have no belief in Bortles. He's given fans no reason to believe. He really feels like another Flacco. A guy coaches trust but no fan can say yes, that's the guy that can lead this team.
    Last edited by Megalodon30; 09-22-2020, 03:00 PM.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
      That's all true, that's why I'm saying its all my opinion. I take the guy that balls when in an actual game situation. Word has it that even though he was tossing the ball all over the place in Minnesota, Zimmer and the staff were frustrated because Sloter wasn't getting the little things down in practice. And that's a much bigger hill to climb for a guy like Sloter, who came from a small school, went undradted and was a transition QB from WR.

Maybe he would have been good, maybe he wouldn't have. As far as I could tell, Kyle by far and away passed the eye test. We don't get to see practices. We don't get to see the little things. All we can go off of is what we see on game day. Kyle just seemed like he had that IT. He seemed like he had that moxie.

Same thing with Tebow. When that "anonymous source" came out and said if it was a fair competition, Tim would have been 4th string. Yet when he actually got a chance to start, he was the only QB on the roster that could actually lead. Orton threw a nice ball, and Brady Quinn had experience, but Tebow was the winner. Tebow was the leader. He proved himself to be a guy that the team could huddle around because you knew he would make the play that needed to be made.

Like I said, its all just my opinion, but when you're in the seats and have to sit back and watch Orton, and Siemian, Lynch, Keenum, Flacco, all these guys that are supposed to be "prototypical" QBs that coaches think highly of lead 3 and out drive after 3 amd out drive, once you see underdogs like Sloter and Tebow lead scoring drives, making big plays, you cant help but get excited. You can't help but root for these guys.

I understand why coaches have to make the decisions that they do, but I tell you, Bortles is a really boring, lackluster move for me. I have no belief in Bortles. He's given fans no reason to believe. He really feels like another Flacco. A guy coaches trust but no fan can say yes, that's the guy that can lead this team.
      I liked Sloter, but 4 different teams in 3 years, now not even on a roster, even with with expanded practice squads. Is it possible all these coaching staffs missed on him, maybe, or is it more likely he was simply overhyped by fans?

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
        So what does Driskel have to do to stave off Bortles? I'm kinda thinking if he just doesn't turn the ball over, he'll be able to stay in the lineup until Lock's return.

And from the "anything could happen" perspective, he could light it up and surprise us all. Not holding my breath, but hey, It's sort of fun to imagine.
        Protect the ball, score, not take unnecessary sacks.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
          So what does Driskel have to do to stave off Bortles? I'm kinda thinking if he just doesn't turn the ball over, he'll be able to stay in the lineup until Lock's return.

And from the "anything could happen" perspective, he could light it up and surprise us all. Not holding my breath, but hey, It's sort of fun to imagine.
          Just show up to work is all Driskell has to do. Bortles doesn’t know anything in the playbook, he’s just there because he has more physical talent than Rypien and so we don’t have to see what Royce Freeman can do at QB.

Comment

Bortles service!!!
            You Mad Bro?

Comment

He has experience, and has played some good games in the NFL!
              (Welcome aboard)

Comment

Maybe we finally got our Jake Plummer back?

Comment

I don't care who comes in and plays QB for us. I support you, ball out and let's win games! I wan't Lock to come back with a vengeance and ready to prove he is our guy!
                  sigpic

Comment

Posted this same statement on another post, so moderators, do with it as you will.

What does it say when we sign Blake Bortles, and Kap is sitting at home?
                    It's all good fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanSam View Post
                      Posted this same statement on another post, so moderators, do with it as you will.

Bortles played last season. That’s what it says.
                      You Mad Bro?

Comment

So did dozens of other worthless QB's. If anyone was born not to throw a football, it has been revealed as BB.
                        It's all good fun!

Comment

So did dozens of other worthless QB's. If anyone was born not to throw a football, it has been revealed as BB.

Cool, you're stealing lines from Chris Simms. The funny part though, Bortles has better numbers across the board than Simms. If Bortles was born not to throw a football, what does that say about Simms?

Comment

It's been 4 years, and he was poor before that. Not to mention his issues with the Broncos. Why would they consider him?

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              Cool, you're stealing lines from Chris Simms. The funny part though, Bortles has better numbers across the board than Simms. If Bortles was born not to throw a football, what does that say about Simms?
                              Lol, Bortles has better career numbers than Kaepernick, and he’s played more recently, oh and he’s younger. Do we need any more reasons??

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                                Lol, Bortles has better career numbers than Kaepernick, and he’s played more recently, oh and he’s younger. Do we need any more reasons??
                                Quite the misleading statement! Yes BB has more yards/ATT/ Comp, he also had more games. On the other hand had lower percentage, more sacks, less rushing yardage, and lower avg yards thrown.
                                It's all good fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X