Broncos looking at Bortles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Lol, Bortles has better career numbers than Kaepernick, and he’s played more recently, oh and he’s younger. Do we need any more reasons??
    Maybe one....Kap is probably coated with some rust!
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanSam View Post
      Quite the misleading statement! Yes BB has more yards/ATT/ Comp, he also had more games. On the other hand had lower percentage, more sacks, less rushing yardage, and lower avg yards thrown.
      How is it misleading? They both played 6 seasons (this will be season 7 for Bortles), Bortles appeared in 78 games while Kaepernick 69 (just 9 more games for Bortles). Passing yards per game, Bortles averaged 226 yards per game while Kaepernick averaged 178 yards per game, Bortles averaged 1.30 passing TDs per game while Kaepernick 1.04. Bortles did throw more INTs, but also had 1000 more pass attempts over his career. Of course Kaepernick has more rushing yards, he was a running QB, still with average yards per attempt, Bortles is slightly higher at 6.2 vs 6.1 with Kaepernick.

Kaepernick has a better record than Bortles, though they're both under .500 in win/loss %, so does it really matter? Kaepernick also had a much better team around him, at least in his early years. Finally factor in that Bortles played last year, hasn't been out of the league for 3+ years, and is 4 years younger.

Comment

Blake Bortles did throw for 4400 yards and 35 TDs in his 2nd season when he had Allen Robinson prior to his knee injury. He still had 18 INTs but that’s something he struggles with. After that season he never really had a legit No. 1 WR. As a backup to a backup, we could do a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
          Blake Bortles did throw for 4400 yards and 35 TDs in his 2nd season when he had Allen Robinson prior to his knee injury. He still had 18 INTs but that’s something he struggles with. After that season he never really had a legit No. 1 WR. As a backup to a backup, we could do a lot worse.
          Combined last year, our QBs only threw 16 TDs. 35 TDs is over 1 per game more than they averaged last year, with an extra TD per game, they could've won 4 more games last year.

Comment

How is it misleading? They both played 6 seasons (this will be season 7 for Bortles), Bortles appeared in 78 games while Kaepernick 69 (just 9 more games for Bortles). Passing yards per game, Bortles averaged 226 yards per game while Kaepernick averaged 178 yards per game, Bortles averaged 1.30 passing TDs per game while Kaepernick 1.04. Bortles did throw more INTs, but also had 1000 more pass attempts over his career. Of course Kaepernick has more rushing yards, he was a running QB, still with average yards per attempt, Bortles is slightly higher at 6.2 vs 6.1 with Kaepernick.

Kaepernick has a better record than Bortles, though they're both under .500 in win/loss %, so does it really matter? Kaepernick also had a much better team around him, at least in his early years. Finally factor in that Bortles played last year, hasn't been out of the league for 3+ years, and is 4 years younger.
            Blake Bortles' career ypa is 6.7
            Colin Kaepernick's career ypa is 7.3
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanSam View Post
              Posted this same statement on another post, so moderators, do with it as you will.

What does it say when we sign Blake Bortles, and Kap is sitting at home?
              It says to me that Organizations don’t want the headaches and media nightmare that a political activist brings to a team’s locker room.

The man was already declining in performance in his final years. Now add four seasons of sitting at home and tossing the ball around remembering the how good he used to be.

What’s it say about anyone advocating signing him for reasons that have nothing to do with the football field. Is he really worth the effort that he can defy the odds and actually compete?

Compared to the almost certain media frenzy and sideshow he creates coming back into the league. And that would be a good day. Imagine Fangio and/ or Elway having to justify him not “ getting his chance” to start or even worse having to bench him.

Admire him for the stance he took if you like but keep him far from the Broncos.

Sorry Mods for going “here” but I’m simply tired of all the nicely avoiding the main topic of why Kap keeps getting passed over when other marginal QBs get a call.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Blake Bortles' career ypa is 6.7
                Colin Kaepernick's career ypa is 7.3
                I don’t think a 0.6 yard per attempt difference would be enough to make me sign a 32 year old QB, with a surgically repaired shoulder, who hasn’t played in over 3 years.

Comment

I don’t think a 0.6 yard per attempt difference would be enough to make me sign a 32 year old QB, with a surgically repaired shoulder, who hasn’t played in over 3 years.
                  You were doing a good job of comparison. Thought you might like another stat.

Otto Graham's career ypa was 9
                  Sid Luckman's career ypa was 8.4
                  Sammy Baugh's career ypa was 7.3 and he played in a Single Wing O.

Ypa transcends eras and is a point of reference when comparing QBs. IMO one should want an NFL QB to have ypa at least in the seven to eight yard range over the course of a season.
                  Last edited by samparnell; 09-23-2020, 07:07 PM.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I am not so sure Kaepernick's Fro would even fit under a regular issue NFL Helmet these days????
                    (Has anybody seen that thing? There could be small animals, and stuff, living in there, and he wouldn't even realize.)

Comment

• So they needed a guy to be in the #2QB spot until Lock gets back and they got Bortles. OK. I'd like to think that Rypien would be ready to be activated instead, and could be put back on the PS again with the flexible 2020 PS rules. Does anyone know if there is a negative to activating Rypien as far as future eligibility? I'm wondering if there is any reason other than Rypien not being ready to take the #2QB spot. If they just wanted a vet for Driskel to be able to hang out with that could go in as an emergency QB then I get the signing.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                        So they needed a guy to be in the #2QB spot until Lock gets back and they got Bortles. OK. I'd like to think that Rypien would be ready to be activated instead, and could be put back on the PS again with the flexible 2020 PS rules. Does anyone know if there is a negative to activating Rypien as far as future eligibility? I'm wondering if there is any reason other than Rypien not being ready to take the #2QB spot. If they just wanted a vet for Driskel to be able to hang out with that could go in as an emergency QB then I get the signing.
                        My guess is they wanted a vet who's played if they needed another QB to go in. A practice squad player can be activated and then demoted to the practice squad twice before they have to go on waivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          My guess is they wanted a vet who's played if they needed another QB to go in. A practice squad player can be activated and then demoted to the practice squad twice before they have to go on waivers.
                          I hope that's all it is. That they felt they needed a vet behind Driskel temporarily. In my mind Rypien seems like a career #2 guy. That may not be fair to him because I haven't seen him throw the ball in forever but that's how I see him and I hope that lack of experience is holding him back rather than lack of ability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                            I am not so sure Kaepernick's Fro would even fit under a regular issue NFL Helmet these days????
                            (Has anybody seen that thing? There could be small animals, and stuff, living in there, and he wouldn't even realize.)

Beats carry on.

Comment

• This Bortles v Kap discussion leaves me a little perplexed.

We've signed Bortles as a temporary QB2 (actual QB3), who may never see the field and is likely to be waived as soon as Lock recovers.

Even if you believe Kap is a better player, and that the difference is more than marginal; how would signing Kap for the purpose we have signed Bortles have made any difference to the team?

Now if the question is whether we sign Bortles or Kap as a real QB2, that's a different story. But that isn't where we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                                This Bortles v Kap discussion leaves me a little perplexed.

We've signed Bortles as a temporary QB2 (actual QB3), who may never see the field and is likely to be waived as soon as Lock recovers.

Even if you believe Kap is a better player, and that the difference is more than marginal; how would signing Kap for the purpose we have signed Bortles have made any difference to the team?

Now if the question is whether we sign Bortles or Kap as a real QB2, that's a different story. But that isn't where we are.
                                Well said....
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X