O-Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    With the oline shaping up does anyone think it's Cush that's in a little trouble? Meinerz was drafted as a C and in the same round as Cush was last year. When you look at our inside guys, there's serious competition and Cush is the least versatile of the bunch.
    I dont, not this year, cush was a rookie stepping into a starting roll, he struggled early but did ok later

meinerz was a small school recruit who didnt play last year at all and as he said he has never been coached to play center, taught himself so depending on cush’s development if he improved over last year then no
    sigpic
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
      With the oline shaping up does anyone think it's Cush that's in a little trouble? Meinerz was drafted as a C and in the same round as Cush was last year. When you look at our inside guys, there's serious competition and Cush is the least versatile of the bunch.
      He is the vet so it is his job to lose. Regardless he better make sure he can play guard just in case as Vic said the backup C needs to play guard.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• I don't think Meinerz was drafted to replace Cush, I thought Cush played well as a rookie with the usual bumps that young players go through and he handled it well at a tough position.

I think he's likely a replacement for Glasgow. If you look at a lot of contracts that are 4+ years and look at the guaranteed money it is obvious a lot of them turn into essentially 2 year deals. Granted if the player is at an All Pro level the team will happily pay the remaining years but if they are playing at a replacement level it's easy to move on with relatively minimal cap hits.

Example Glasgow is not going anywhere this year. Now if Meinerz ends up being better and he turns Glasgow into a backup he'll still be on the roster most likely as we would only save 500K against the cap by releasing him post June 1.

However next year when his salary is 12 mil we would save 9 mil against the cap with a post Jun 1 cut. As mentioned, if hes at a Pro Bowl/ All Pro level then you happilly keep him on at 12 mil. But if he's really just showing as an averge starter and you have a younger cheaper and potentially better option in Meinerz then the cut almost makes itself.

Will Meinerz play much this year? Who knows. If he is I hope it's because we found one hell of a steal in the 3rd round and he's able to beat out Glasgow. If not I think this pick was made with the intention of letting him learn under Munchak for a year and potentially allow us to move on from Glasgow if he isn't showing up as a top guard.
        A book I wrote

Comment

• Originally posted by CTM View Post
          I don't think Meinerz was drafted to replace Cush, I thought Cush played well as a rookie with the usual bumps that young players go through and he handled it well at a tough position.

I think he's likely a replacement for Glasgow. If you look at a lot of contracts that are 4+ years and look at the guaranteed money it is obvious a lot of them turn into essentially 2 year deals. Granted if the player is at an All Pro level the team will happily pay the remaining years but if they are playing at a replacement level it's easy to move on with relatively minimal cap hits.

Example Glasgow is not going anywhere this year. Now if Meinerz ends up being better and he turns Glasgow into a backup he'll still be on the roster most likely as we would only save 500K against the cap by releasing him post June 1.

However next year when his salary is 12 mil we would save 9 mil against the cap with a post Jun 1 cut. As mentioned, if hes at a Pro Bowl/ All Pro level then you happilly keep him on at 12 mil. But if he's really just showing as an averge starter and you have a younger cheaper and potentially better option in Meinerz then the cut almost makes itself.

Will Meinerz play much this year? Who knows. If he is I hope it's because we found one hell of a steal in the 3rd round and he's able to beat out Glasgow. If not I think this pick was made with the intention of letting him learn under Munchak for a year and potentially allow us to move on from Glasgow if he isn't showing up as a top guard.
          While I don’t think he was drafted specifically to replace Cush, he was drafted to replace someone. Between Cush, Meinerz, Risner, and Muti we appear to have 4 young interior linemen and only 3 spots. Glasgow is probably going to be a cut candidate after this season, but Risner will also be entering a contract year. I think Muti is more of a RG than a LG at the NFL level, impressive highlight tape aside I’m not sure his lateral quickness is good enough to be a good puller consistently. Meinerz can probably play all 3 interior spots, Risner can probably play anywhere from LG to RT, and based off what I saw from Cush last season I think he can play C or LG and maybe with some time in the weight room RG.

I think we have a good problem on the interior oline, but unfortunately that usually means someone will end up leaving whether for a bigger contract elsewhere or a chance to start elsewhere. Although Risner being able to play RT gives us options and while I hope Fleming/Massie can hold down the RT spot, I would like to see Risner get some work out there at some point so we can keep Meinerz, Cush, and Muti together on the interior because that gives us an incredibly nasty oline in terms of pure aggression. And with that oline combined with the running style of at least Williams, maybe Gordon if he comes back, I think we’d have one of those most physical, back breaking, soul shattering running games in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

While I don’t think he was drafted specifically to replace Cush, he was drafted to replace someone. Between Cush, Meinerz, Risner, and Muti we appear to have 4 young interior linemen and only 3 spots. Glasgow is probably going to be a cut candidate after this season, but Risner will also be entering a contract year. I think Muti is more of a RG than a LG at the NFL level, impressive highlight tape aside I’m not sure his lateral quickness is good enough to be a good puller consistently. Meinerz can probably play all 3 interior spots, Risner can probably play anywhere from LG to RT, and based off what I saw from Cush last season I think he can play C or LG and maybe with some time in the weight room RG.

I think we have a good problem on the interior oline, but unfortunately that usually means someone will end up leaving whether for a bigger contract elsewhere or a chance to start elsewhere. Although Risner being able to play RT gives us options and while I hope Fleming/Massie can hold down the RT spot, I would like to see Risner get some work out there at some point so we can keep Meinerz, Cush, and Muti together on the interior because that gives us an incredibly nasty oline in terms of pure aggression. And with that oline combined with the running style of at least Williams, maybe Gordon if he comes back, I think we’d have one of those most physical, back breaking, soul shattering running games in the league.
            he was drafted to compete with Cush for sure. he also adds agood depth and good competition at the gaurd spots
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Gotta give credit to Munchak, the O line has turned into an area of strength. Cush definitely struggled early last year, but improved a little. Hopefully a full offseason and getting stronger helps him lock up the job. Meinerz is versatile and made a name for himself at the senior bowl, but I wouldn't bet on him just taking the job at center. I think he's a depth pick, who will fill in if someone gets hurt or is just not playing well. I'd love to see him on the line, I just don't think they were expecting him to immediately play, unless he just has a phenomenal camp. RT is going to be the spot in interested in, that position has been horrible.

Munchak is one of the best in the business and has a lot of options at multiple positions. I'm counting on him working his magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                Gotta give credit to Munchak, the O line has turned into an area of strength. Cush definitely struggled early last year, but improved a little. Hopefully a full offseason and getting stronger helps him lock up the job. Meinerz is versatile and made a name for himself at the senior bowl, but I wouldn't bet on him just taking the job at center. I think he's a depth pick, who will fill in if someone gets hurt or is just not playing well. I'd love to see him on the line, I just don't think they were expecting him to immediately play, unless he just has a phenomenal camp. RT is going to be the spot in interested in, that position has been horrible.

Munchak is one of the best in the business and has a lot of options at multiple positions. I'm counting on him working his magic.
                I agree. We still need to make it happen on the field but the signs are there in some stats that the pass protection was turning around in 2020. I do think 2020 was a roller coaster ride and we need more consistent play from a lot of areas. It seems we have added more talent to the team all around in this aspect. Legit to think this part of the team will be better than bottom of the league for the first time since our Star Wars offense years before SB50.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                  Gotta give credit to Munchak, the O line has turned into an area of strength. Cush definitely struggled early last year, but improved a little. Hopefully a full offseason and getting stronger helps him lock up the job. Meinerz is versatile and made a name for himself at the senior bowl, but I wouldn't bet on him just taking the job at center. I think he's a depth pick, who will fill in if someone gets hurt or is just not playing well. I'd love to see him on the line, I just don't think they were expecting him to immediately play, unless he just has a phenomenal camp. RT is going to be the spot in interested in, that position has been horrible.

i disagree i don't see how our oline is strength. it was still in the bottom half of stuff last season. we have had a rotating door at the RT spot and we have a lot of youg guys we are hoping to step in. i wouldn't call it a strength of this team. it is average at best. we don't have an RT, our OC spot is unclaimed by 2 young guys one who struggled as a rookie and 1 coming from a D3 school that may have the same issues with play strength. it is way to early to call this oline an Area of strength.

if the oline is an area of strength the broncos are gonna be picking in the top half of the drft again.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm

Comment

• I think Meinerz is going to be able to push Cush at center but ultimately been groomed at RG for down the road. Giving us a solid back up interior O for G or C.

Comment

• Well if we aren’t satisfied with Massie and Fleming competing at RT, Washington has given Morgan Moses permission to seek a trade.

Comment

Well if we aren’t satisfied with Massie and Fleming competing at RT, Washington has given Morgan Moses permission to seek a trade.
                        minus i wouldn't trsde for him.he may be released then i would look into it.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

i disagree i don't see how our oline is strength. it was still in the bottom half of stuff last season. we have had a rotating door at the RT spot and we have a lot of young guys we are hoping to step in. i wouldn't call it a strength of this team. it is average at best. we don't have an RT, our OC spot is unclaimed by 2 young guys one who struggled as a rookie and 1 coming from a D3 school that may have the same issues with play strength. it is way to early to call this oline an Area of strength.

if the oline is an area of strength the broncos are gonna be picking in the top half of the drft again.

I posted this in a different subforum earlier, but this is what I am thinking right now:

LT: Bolles/Fleming
                          LG: Risner/Muti
                          C: Kush/Meinerz
                          RG: Glasgow/Muti
                          RT: Massie/ Fleming

Bolles appears to be playing well at LT. Massie appears to be solid at RT. Fleming appears to be a capable Swing Tackle. Kush needed to add functional strength and should have done that this last off season. Risner and Glasgow had down years but they were playing with a green young Center between them and nothing at RT last season. I'm expecting this group to dramatically improve over last year. I don't know if they carry 8 O-Line on the game day roster but if they do I think it's these 8 guys. If it's 7 then I'd expect Meinerz to be inactive with Glasgow as the 2nd Center. So with 7 you could go:

LG: Risner/Muti/Fleming
                          C: Kush/Glasgow/Risner
                          RG: Glasgow/Muti/Fleming
                          RT: Massie/Fleming/Risner

Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Well if we aren’t satisfied with Massie and Fleming competing at RT, Washington has given Morgan Moses permission to seek a trade.
                            Not sure what the trade cost would be but he comes with a 7.75 mil cost and no dead cap for the team traded to.

Comment

• A couple of days ago Orlando Franklin gave his scouting report on Fleming and Massie after watching flim. O said he was a little disappointed with Fleming, sorry I can't remember exactly why and feels he's best as a swing but not a starter. But O said he was pleasantly surprised with Massie and compared Massie to himself. O said the one thing about Massie he didn't like was that Massie seemed to have a 3 second timer in his head and after three seconds didn't seem to always finish to the whistle. But according to O, Massie is a good, powerful run blocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

I posted this in a different subforum earlier, but this is what I am thinking right now:

LG: Risner/Muti
                                C: Kush/Meinerz
                                RG: Glasgow/Muti
                                RT: Massie/ Fleming

Bolles appears to be playing well at LT. Massie appears to be solid at RT. Fleming appears to be a capable Swing Tackle. Kush needed to add functional strength and should have done that this last off season. Risner and Glasgow had down years but they were playing with a green young Center between them and nothing at RT last season. I'm expecting this group to dramatically improve over last year. I don't know if they carry 8 O-Line on the game day roster but if they do I think it's these 8 guys. If it's 7 then I'd expect Meinerz to be inactive with Glasgow as the 2nd Center. So with 7 you could go:

LG: Risner/Muti/Fleming
                                C: Kush/Glasgow/Risner
                                RG: Glasgow/Muti/Fleming
                                RT: Massie/Fleming/Risner
                                there a reason Massie and Fleming where still available. so i am not sold on that. i would have to see more from Cush. it is spelled with a C as in Cushenberry, either way he will need to improve or Meinerz will need to show he is better for me to be 100% on board but tile will tell.
                                sigpic
                                oakland raders gm

Comment

Working...
                                X