Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• listopencil
    replied
    As a negative to balance that out he does need to work on his pass pro. He can do it but he's awkward.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I’d be happy with that! I don’t much about Hill
    but I think if Fangio pulls the trigger in Parsons he must be worth it. Look at the ILB’s Fangio has coached: Sam Mills, Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Roquan Smith, & Ray Lewis. He has a lot to learn as a head coach but he knows ILB’s.
    I wouldn’t mind us moving back up into the first for Tevin Jenkins or taking Mayfield from Michigan or Eichenberg from nortre dame at 40.
    Adding future starters at RT, ILB , and RB would be a great draft in itself.
    I've been warming up to the idea of taking a RB in the third since we lost Lindsay. And as the draft has been approaching my general opinions have been crystallizing. I want BPA at a position of need in the first. If we don't get an OT in the first then I want one no later than the second. The third is still pretty open to me but Kylin Hill has caught my eye. I'm seeing mentions of him as a third or fourth round selection, but I am really liking what I'm seeing from the kid. He's got noticeable vision and speed. He's very tough and a little stubborn. He finds creases in the blocking game, doesn't need and hasn't gotten gaping holes to run through, so he's comfortable going between the Tackles instead of bouncing it to the outside like a lot of rookies do because they think they can still run away from everyone in the NFL. He opted out as a lot of players did, but before he did that a new OC compelled him to take a very active role in the passing game and he did that very well. He runs good routes and flashes better receiving skills than the other RB's I've seen. I see him as a three down RB. Not necessarily a guy that you're going to make the starter any time soon but a guy that can come in and relieve Gordon with no drop off as a rookie.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Not necessarily. Especially if the Broncos can get a solid year out of James. Decisions can be adjusted quite differently if they feel they are getting the expected OT they signed in FA. Not the disappointment they have had so far.

Broncos can get a OT in the third that is a solid prospect that a year of development can prepare him. Not having the expectation to play immediately would take some pressure off. Above there were 2 solid options mentioned. There are others.

Honestly a Parsons selection in the 1st and a CB or S in the 2nd followed by an OT in the 3rd would not be a horrible strategy.

I’m also not opposed to a RB in in the 2nd if Harris or Williams were somehow still on the board.
    No! James is on his way out of Denver. He might be available each game this year, or he might not. Denver needs to draft a starting Tackle. Third round won't cut it. Whoever it is needs to be ready to start. #40 might be OK, but #9 will work. Everyone on this message board who has melted down, complained, whined and cried about O-Line, especially Right Tackle, should be down with a Tackle in the first round. If not, don't want to hear a bunch of bellyaching in the future from "trade up for QB" guys. Sewell or Slater. Pull the trigger and complete the rebuild of the O-Line. If a starting Tackle isn't drafted, we do not want to see what happens when Ja'Wuan James limps off the field taking himself out of the game, believe me. That is all.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post

How about Parsons in the 1st, one of the OT's in the 2nd, and RB Kylin Hill in the 3rd?
    I’d be happy with that! I don’t much about Hill
    but I think if Fangio pulls the trigger in Parsons he must be worth it. Look at the ILB’s Fangio has coached: Sam Mills, Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Roquan Smith, & Ray Lewis. He has a lot to learn as a head coach but he knows ILB’s.
    I wouldn’t mind us moving back up into the first for Tevin Jenkins or taking Mayfield from Michigan or Eichenberg from nortre dame at 40.
    Adding future starters at RT, ILB , and RB would be a great draft in itself.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied

Not necessarily. Especially if the Broncos can get a solid year out of James. Decisions can be adjusted quite differently if they feel they are getting the expected OT they signed in FA. Not the disappointment they have had so far.

Broncos can get a OT in the third that is a solid prospect that a year of development can prepare him. Not having the expectation to play immediately would take some pressure off. Above there were 2 solid options mentioned. There are others.

Honestly a Parsons selection in the 1st and a CB or S in the 2nd followed by an OT in the 3rd would not be a horrible strategy.

I’m also not opposed to a RB in in the 2nd if Harris or Williams were somehow still on the board.
    How about Parsons in the 1st, one of the OT's in the 2nd, and RB Kylin Hill in the 3rd?

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by welderhead View Post
    I like Parsons as our first pick. Except that our second round pick is # 40 which means the OL are gone. And we need OL. ARRRRGGHHH!!!

Leave a comment:

• welderhead
    replied
    I like Parsons as our first pick. Except that our second round pick is # 40 which means the OL are gone. And we need OL. ARRRRGGHHH!!!

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

It would be nice to know how much confidence the coaches and team have in James. So much pivots on his returning motivated, healthy and prepared.

Currently looking at at Bolles and James? They have Anderson expected to return. Not sure about Dotson and Bailey still on the team. Am I missing any OTs?

Seems like at least one OT is getting added in the first couple picks. Sewell or Slater would be instant upgrade at #9 and "should " be capable enough to step in if James is not ready for whatever reason.

Another option to consider is should another OT be added by FA or a later rd pick? Use a 5-7th pick on a Christianson, Brown, Van Lanen type prospect for OT depth? Probably a half dozen late rd prospects that would be preferred. Just contemplate the concept, not the specific players I named.
    We'll find out through the Draft and conclusion of free agency what the coaches and front office think about a lot of guys. There are more questions about Ja'Wuan James than there are about Drew Lock for no other reason than he was MIA last year. He played 63 snaps in 2019 in the three games he started, but did not finish. He could be OK and available for every game, or not. It's the or not part that makes drafting a starting T imperative.

Denver has Bolles, James, Anderson and Bailey. Dotson is UFA. Would be surprised if Bailey makes the roster. He may go to PS again.

Spencer Brown might be a third rounder. Brady Christenson might get picked by the end of the third. Cole Van Lanen might be available as an UDFA. Thirteen Tackles might go in the top 100. Denver will most likely sign some UDFA O-Linemen and keep several on PS. Looks like they have ten O-Linemen right now and will need at least five more if they plan on first, second, third team O.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Looks like from four to six Offensive Tackles may be drafted in the first round this year. From four to five will go in the second. There are about thirteen ranked in the top one hundred. Denver must draft a Tackle by the second round at the latest. We're trying to find a starting Right Tackle. If Denver stays at #9 and Sewell is there, I say grab him instantly. Lock was surrounded by fresh talent at the skill positions. Now is the time to complete the O-Line rebuild and give Buzz as much help as possible. If James comes back, I want a guy who can shove him out of the Sumo Circle. Think Penei Sewell could do that. Slater, too.
    It would be nice to know how much confidence the coaches and team have in James. So much pivots on his returning motivated, healthy and prepared.

Currently looking at at Bolles and James? They have Anderson expected to return. Not sure about Dotson and Bailey still on the team. Am I missing any OTs?

Seems like at least one OT is getting added in the first couple picks. Sewell or Slater would be instant upgrade at #9 and "should " be capable enough to step in if James is not ready for whatever reason.

Another option to consider is should another OT be added by FA or a later rd pick? Use a 5-7th pick on a Christianson, Brown, Van Lanen type prospect for OT depth? Probably a half dozen late rd prospects that would be preferred. Just contemplate the concept, not the specific players I named.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Looks like from four to six Offensive Tackles may be drafted in the first round this year. From four to five will go in the second. There are about thirteen ranked in the top one hundred. Denver must draft a Tackle by the second round at the latest. We're trying to find a starting Right Tackle. If Denver stays at #9 and Sewell is there, I say grab him instantly. Lock was surrounded by fresh talent at the skill positions. Now is the time to complete the O-Line rebuild and give Buzz as much help as possible. If James comes back, I want a guy who can shove him out of the Sumo Circle. Think Penei Sewell could do that. Slater, too.
    I am on board. If we can solidify our OL then IMO we may be in the best situation we have been to develop a young QB since the 1998 SB winning team. Can nit pick other stuff I would like to add to our QB development plan but in this imperfect world we would be in a very good spot.

Think have two solid OTs would allow better interior OL play and also allow more freedom of the TEs. As a fan I been hammering the RB play in pass protection for a while but I also admit that a lot of the reason I been so critical on interior OL, TE and RB play in our team blocking has been the need for players to help our OTs do their job.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Only problem I have with top 10 OT is we can trade back and get a good OT plus other stuff. OT may be the deepest position in this draft not just the top 2 rounds but even further. Recent analytics are showing there is actually not that much difference between a 2nd round player and a 1st round player in terms how many snaps teams are getting from college picks. That does not seem to show quality of snaps from what I saw on the Broncos youtube channel tho.

If we can not get the trade partner then go for it imo

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    The last time we had an O-Line that looked like it was ready to play NFL football was when we had Peyton Manning as our Quarterback. That right. Peyton freaking Manning. Do you know why our O-Line looked like it was ready to play NFL football when Peyton Manning was our Quarterback? Because we had Peyton Freaking Manning at Quarterback. That's not going to happen again. We need an O-Line and we are a single piece away from building one. Finish the set. Give me my last toy so I can be a happy camper again.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Only problem I have with top 10 OT is we can trade back and get a good OT plus other stuff. OT may be the deepest position in this draft not just the top 2 rounds but even further. Recent analytics are showing there is actually not that much difference between a 2nd round player and a 1st round player in terms how many snaps teams are getting from college picks. That does not seem to show quality of snaps from what I saw on the Broncos youtube channel tho.

We can get get a guy with our 2nd that looks like he can come in and challenge to be the starting RT, or step in if James is unavailable, or possibly function as the swing OT on game days. There is a small group of guys that should be available at the pick. That's the way I have been wanting to go for months now. But I also want the best player available with our #9 pick in the first round. There will be a small group of guys there as well that would make sense if the board falls that way. Two of them are Tackles and I won't be upset if the Broncos pull the trigger on either one.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Jeremiah also has the Broncos taking Sewell at #9 in his latest mock draft.

I can live with that.

If that were to happen, it would be interesting to see what they chose to do with James. Keep for depth or find a trade partner. Could they even make a deal and for what is intriguing.

Despite the contract and last couple seasons there might be a team that would trade a late rd pick and take on his contract. He is still a talented OT. On the other hand, having him ( or Sewell ) as the backup could be a really nice depth move if all the egos can be controlled.

Last edited by Hadez; 04-11-2021, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

Just took a quick look at other "centers" ranked and drafted near Cushenberry. He stacks up well.

He started all 16 games. for the Broncos. And could have been replaced by Glasgow at any time Munchak wanted. Before the start of last season that was one of the questions. Was Glasgow signed to be C or G. Still have that option if needed.

Other Cs from the draft class were Ruiz and Hennessey,. Both played G for less starts and less games.. Biadasz played C but only a few games. Centers like Williams, Harris, Cabral or Hanson never played in a game. I possibly missed some later round or UDFA Cs but none are going to beat 16 starts. He improves and the C position is set for years.
    Lloyd Cushenberry is an intelligent and hard working young man. He put the ball in play on 100% of Denver's offensive snaps last year and got a ton of experience doing it. He is under contract through 2023 at a little over $1 million/yr. Connor McGovern (2020) and Matt Paradis (2019) are both on three year $27 million deals and, as you have pointed out, Lloyd was probably the best rookie C in 2020. He has a great coach, makes the line calls and can pull. If he has been working on strength in the offseason, we'll see if he can block a nasty 0 tech one-on-one. If he will do that, he'll be set.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X