X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

Sam what do you think is wrong with Dalton besides an Injury. I only ask because I feel that something is amiss with Route 66 This Year I just cannot put a finger on Why is Style of Playing Last Year vs This Year is Off? Last Year he was with out a doubt the Best O-Lineman Denver Drafted Besides Bolles coming into this Year. Now Bolles is looking like a true NFL Starting LT and Route 66 is out of Gas.
    Real hard to say. The only guy whose analysis I would accept is Mike Munchak's and don't think he's sharing it publicly. O-Line coach is the same, but OC is new. Also new is a rookie Center. That still doesn't explain the breakdown in pass protection schemes and poor technique. I'm sure it's all fixable. At the moment, Dalton must recover from the shoulder injury. He must get back ASAP to continue the building of chemistry and unit cohesion. When he returns, he will be better.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Between them, Lindsay, Freeman and Spencer averaged 4.25 yards per rushing attempt and Denver ran the ball about 60% of the plays. In order for that to happen, the O-Line must play well, and so they did.

PFF is a mystery to me. I just record the game on DVR so I can watch each play as many times as I need to see what each O-LIneman did, especially on run plays. PFF can say whatever they want, and many go by what they say, but I just form my own impression based on observation. PFF quantifies O-Line play with numerical values and that's where they lose me.

Drew Lock was sacked twice. One of those was by John Simon who surprised Graham Glasgow on a stunt, caught him off balance and knocked him on his butt on the way to tackling Drew. That play stood out like a sore thumb and probably embarrassed Graham. He was in position to pick up the stunt, but was a little high and not broken down enough to keep balance. He's tall for a G and tall Guards need to knee bend and break down properly especially on pass protection.

Denver's O-Line is developing chemistry and unit cohesion more with each game. The sack Glasgow surrendered wasn't because of any miscommunication. It was just bad luck which is fixable. Dalton didn't play second half and Austin filled in and did well. However, in the interest of developing unit cohesion, Dalton needs to return as soon as he is able.
    Sam what do you think is wrong with Dalton besides an Injury. I only ask because I feel that something is amiss with Route 66 This Year I just cannot put a finger on Why is Style of Playing Last Year vs This Year is Off? Last Year he was with out a doubt the Best O-Lineman Denver Drafted Besides Bolles coming into this Year. Now Bolles is looking like a true NFL Starting LT and Route 66 is out of Gas.

Leave a comment:

• L.M.
    replied
    So I just read this and now I wonder was it a mistake not to pick up Bolles 5th Option now?

https://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...es-is-good-now
    It was a good thing, it motivated him to improve.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I don’t buy into the PFF grading system, because they don’t know the players assignments, especially on the line.

I also don’t buy into the pro bowl selections, they are a popularity contest. If one of our players get on the team I celebrate it just like if they make the weekly pff team.

Did you think Bolles and Glasgow didn’t have good games?
    Between them, Lindsay, Freeman and Spencer averaged 4.25 yards per rushing attempt and Denver ran the ball about 60% of the plays. In order for that to happen, the O-Line must play well, and so they did.

PFF is a mystery to me. I just record the game on DVR so I can watch each play as many times as I need to see what each O-LIneman did, especially on run plays. PFF can say whatever they want, and many go by what they say, but I just form my own impression based on observation. PFF quantifies O-Line play with numerical values and that's where they lose me.

Drew Lock was sacked twice. One of those was by John Simon who surprised Graham Glasgow on a stunt, caught him off balance and knocked him on his butt on the way to tackling Drew. That play stood out like a sore thumb and probably embarrassed Graham. He was in position to pick up the stunt, but was a little high and not broken down enough to keep balance. He's tall for a G and tall Guards need to knee bend and break down properly especially on pass protection.

Denver's O-Line is developing chemistry and unit cohesion more with each game. The sack Glasgow surrendered wasn't because of any miscommunication. It was just bad luck which is fixable. Dalton didn't play second half and Austin filled in and did well. However, in the interest of developing unit cohesion, Dalton needs to return as soon as he is able.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    So I just read this and now I wonder was it a mistake not to pick up Bolles 5th Option now?

Consensus seemed to be that Garrett Bolles hadn't done anything to justify exercising the fifith year option. Three things happened: option not picked up; announcement that Elijah Wilkinson would "compete" for LT; and, Mike Munchak. In spite of all the personal insults Garrett has endured on this message board, he wants to be a better football player. Guessing that all of this, plus some other things, have contributed to his improvement. Football players and coaches can get better, worse or stay the same.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    I don’t buy into the PFF grading system, because they don’t know the players assignments, especially on the line.

I also don’t buy into the pro bowl selections, they are a popularity contest. If one of our players get on the team I celebrate it just like if they make the weekly pff team.

they did ok but 1 game isn't nearly enough to think Bolles has tremendously improved. Bolles has played a little better than last year but I don't see it as a huge improvement yet and it's way to early to start thinking he has done enough to warrant a long term extension. I'll wait until the end, or near the end, of the season to make that decision.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied

Leave a comment:

• atwaterandstir
    replied
    Scoring is up and holding penalties are way down. This can't be ignored when considering what to do with Bolles. If this is the "new" NFL, then Bolles is worth every cent to keep him. If this is a 2020 "manipulation" then we may need to make a tough decision.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...y-more-offense
    This article is from a few weeks ago but it has some statistics that really can't be ignored. The lack of holding and the big increase in pass interference definitely indicates the league wants offenses to thrive.
    Personally, I hope we resign him because I believe the NFLs best marketing tool is fantasy football and this league wide scoring increase is here to stay for a while.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post

....only if you buy into the PFF grading system for Olinemen

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied

With Bolles and Glasgow both on the All PFF team for the Week kinda hard to run that argument
    ....only if you buy into the PFF grading system for Olinemen

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Exactly. But some fans still go on about them not drafting a tackle in the second round or third round, and those tackles haven't been able to get on the field. It's great to draft a tackle if you're high on one and you're imposition to take them. But trying to force a player of need as a fit when you pick is a recipe for a bad fit.
    If one of the top four Tackles had been available, it would have been interesting to see what they would have done. The WR position was quite deep, so others would have been available. It is worth noting that Ja'Wuan James opted out over two months after the draft. Elway & Co. were criticized for sticking with Bolles, and I haven't heard much credit given for that. Was always skeptical of the "competition" for LT between Bolles and Wilkinson. Glad they signed Dotson and seem to be grooming Anderson to be Swing Tackle. We'll see what happens next draft. If they draft a Tackle, I'm inclined to think it will be just one after re-signing Bolles.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

The top four Tackles were off the board when Denver picked Jeudy.
    Exactly. But some fans still go on about them not drafting a tackle in the second round or third round, and those tackles haven't been able to get on the field. It's great to draft a tackle if you're high on one and you're imposition to take them. But trying to force a player of need as a fit when you pick is a recipe for a bad fit.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    The Broncos beat up on the Pats. A number of them were helped from the field and didn't return. Part of that beating was administered by the O-Line via thirty-seven rushing attempts.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

You're never going to build anything for 10 years, and if you're constantly trying to then you'll always end up failing. Look at any NFL roster, there are maybe 2 or 3 (maybe) who are ever with a team over that length of time. Denver only has 2 players remaining from 2015. You should aim to build a team for 5 year increments, and in that context a 29 year old tackle is not old at all.

Whether Bolles was a good pick or not is inconsequential at this point in time. What's relevant is whether he's a good player now (he is) and how he'll perform next year. As for the high tackle picks from this season, how many years offer tackle depth like that? Will Denver be high enough to get one of those players?
    The top four Tackles were off the board when Denver picked Jeudy.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Noticing no one saying how bad the oline is after the N.E. game. Just gonna wait and see if we lose how many people that's quiet about how "anyone you put behind this line will get killed"
    That's because the o-line, while not great, was made to look way way worse when Driskell was in there. Lock and Rypien haven't been sacked, or hit, like Driskell was when he was in there. It's almost like a QB can help or hinder an o-line, but it's just a lot easier to say the line is awful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X