This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Like Tampa Bay dumping Steve Young, then the Niners won a SB with him. That would be a nightmare.
    Luckily we did not see that with Cutler.
    We did not see what Tebow could have become.
    We saw that giving a lot of money to Brock was not a good idea.

Somehow I don't have the feeling that Lock will rival Steve Young!

Comment

• I still think Drew Lock can have a good successful career.
      I wouldn't give up on him so soon.

I can't believe some of the Broncos fan base, it's unbelievable not giving these Young QB's a chance.

Good things take time.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post

Please explain the drastic regression in all passing categories for Lock from last year. Also, how many seasons to we give him? I don't "know" the answers, as I am not a coach or personnel professional in the League. But I can tell he is making the wrong choices far too often. If he can't overcome that, he shouldn't be a starter, let alone our franchise quarterback.
        Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post

Steve Young was on a historically bad Tampa Bay team. As bad as the Broncos are, Lock has weapons around him and coaches who know the game (in some ways). The Steve Young nightmare scenario is not applicable here. And the nightmare scenario generally exists with every personnel move anyway.
        New OC/new playbook and offense, no preseason to teethe it in, inconsistent running game because Lindsay out for a few games, OL still not fixed and hasn't gelled yet with regression from Risner, Cushenberry's rookies struggles, RT was and is still a liability, favorite target Sutton out, Fant out for a few games, and he needs time to develop chemistry with new receivers who are rookies making mistakes too like dropping big passes (some in the EZ) that would have improved Lock's stats if they had caught them. It's not like he was given the keys to the Rolls ala Griese in '99. Not even close!

Yes the Young example applies, as do all of the others. The point of that is we don't know at this point whether he's the answer or not, and the kid still has potential. He's not over 30, this isn't a WYSIWYG or will ever get situation. He had a bad game against the Champs --almost the entire team did, like he and the whole team did last Dec when we scored only 3 pts! Hopefully he's learning from it and the coaches are working with him.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

Luckily we did not see that with Cutler.
          We did not see what Tebow could have become.
          We saw that giving a lot of money to Brock was not a good idea.

Somehow I don't have the feeling that Lock will rival Steve Young!
          Well in 1989 I didn't feel that young Steve Young would rival what he actually became a few years later or be any kind of successor to Joe Montana. He just needed time and better situation, and it was impossible to foresee that working out.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• I'll say this and I won't comment on Lock anymore unless I have to come back and eat some crow later on in the year but I doubt it. I think Elway has spoiled a lot of the fan base because of his strong arm in his playing days yeah Elway had a strong arm but it was a strong accurate arm. Drew looks to have judt a strong arm minus the accuracy. You couple a strong arm with sloppy footwork or technique than that equals a lot of inaccurate passes that will be above behind or in front of receivers. This isn't college there are tight windows in the nfl and Drew can't seem to find thr mark.

My main knock on him is his inability to stand tall in the pocket and read the defense. He presses and he rolls out way too much even when its not needed. Maybe Shermer stresses to him to throw on the run I don't know but Lock just isn't cutting it.

This is a passing league. Lock has only gone over 300 passing yards once. I know he had a game where he threw 208 no tds that was last year. I think against Tennessee he threw for like 186. These same chargers even though it was his first game he threw for 134. Ne 189 thats 2 picks too. 1td passing and running this year. That absolutely can't happen. Not in a passing league

Since we say this will be an easy game coming up Herbert has already thrown 12tds in 4 games. He already has thrown for 3 300 plus yard games the one game he didn't well he threw for 290. His first two starts he was over 300 yards 1 td 1 pick in both, since then 3 tds in the other two. Thats growth now Lock being in his second year why is it that he's sitting on one TD? Don't give me injury he had games where he is healthy. Again I think Elway has spoiled himself and the fans. A strong arm is nothing if its not accurate. If Lock can't deliver the ball to his receivers I could care less how strong he trow the ball. Paxton Lynch had a strong arm too but was inaccurate and no longer here. What has Lock done lately that Houston game was really long ago...since then Lock has been skiing down the slope going downhill.

Herbert's arm isn't as strong as Lock's but the kid sees the field and is accurate on throws. We need a new Qb. I wont comment on it I think people know my stance on it. I just think we deserve better than what we're seeing. Former bronco greats are rolling over in their grave looking at these pitiful performances. If people aren't upset at what's going on mainly broncos players than we got a whole different issue needs addressing. I liked that chubb was fired up on the sidelines we need better play. Young team or not. It is beyond alarming what Drew lock has done he's had way more film room time way more reps in practice so I can't give Lock excuses.

We have set the standards really low if this qb play is acceptable to you guys. We should demand better and I know we have better offensive talent than LA does so what is really the problem? Maybe its both Pat and or Lock. Whoever is the fault we are a train wreck that has crashed and I don't know who wants to come in and fix it but we need to fix it. I'm for going in a different direction at qb. Let Lock finish the season and desperately do what you can to get a good qb in here This Sunday will or should tell us all we need to know. I just want to see Lock throw for 2 tds this Sunday, thats not asking much we will see if he does it.

See you guys at the GameDay thread may all of you have a great week stay safe.
            :go:

Comment

• He's basically played three games this year, that's equivalent to a preseason.
              Hopefully he can finish the season strong, maybe go 6-4?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I'm not sure what to think about Lock this year. I definitely thought his play would be much better than it is.

Regarding Elway in his first year. I remember many fans, not just Bronco fans thinking WOW, the Broncos pulled off one of the greatest acquisitions of a high end athlete in sports history. Then the chinks in Elway's armor began to appear as his first season progressed as a starter. It didn't take long for many Elway fans in general to start saying " wasted money, wasted trade, he's a loser, get rid of him while he still has some value.

Sometimes when people, fans, get what they wish for, they end up with huge regrets. I say wait until the end of this season to make any concrete decisions regarding anything about negativity in the Denver Bronco organization.
                The ole "buyer's remorse"....which I think most of us have dealt with in our lives. I attribute a lot of that to folks getting so pumped about a purchase/selection in this case, that when they finally get their wish, they have over valued it in all the commotion. We sometimes overlook things in the process because everything else seems more important. Ever notice how a house's flaws don't pop out at you til you buy it? I hope not, but it definitely happens.

So back to football....young QBs are going to look like shiny objects when comparing them to one another. A few usually stand out. But then there's that "NFL thing" that demands them to step up their games. Initially many don't have the ability to step up so quickly. I'm actually surprised how good Burrow and Herbert are doing. Good for them! And in fairness to Lock, he's basically played the same number of NFL games as Burrow, give or take. He has so much ahead of him.

The reason I am confident in him is that he has some NFL attributes that will play out well in this difficult game....strong arm, agility, quick release especially when in trouble, and apparent confidence and leadership. Even if he had a so so year, I would expect better in him going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Well in 1989 I didn't feel that young Steve Young would rival what he actually became a few years later or be any kind of successor to Joe Montana. He just needed time and better situation, and it was impossible to foresee that working out.
                  You’re probably in a very small minority with that , from being 6 - 5 in 88 i don’t think there was anyone to challenge them after that and including the next season , in week 16 88 they had clinched 2nd seed and took their foot off the gas vs the rams and arguably deliberately lost to prevent the giants making the playoffs , particularly with them playing so well i think most people wouldn’t see any drop off at all with young , john madden said in the jan 91 nfc champ game that the giants had a different defence for young , i think seifert and the 49ers missed a trick and should have started young vs the giants , prior to roger craig’s fumble the 49ers only got into the giants half three times including a missed tackle by mark collins that allowed john taylor to score a td , the giants were clearly the better team vs montana but the 49ers may have 3 peated with young , glad they didn’t after what they did in the superdome the year before though !

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                    I still think Drew Lock can have a good successful career.
                    I wouldn't give up on him so soon.

I can't believe some of the Broncos fan base, it's unbelievable not giving these Young QB's a chance.

Good things take time.
                    I'm not one to normally give up quickly on young players. I am on Lock because he doesn't or hasn't shown the ability to have any pocket presence. Even the commentators in the last game were saying "that's just something a QB has to feel" .... That's 2 games in a row he's being called out and that isn't something you teach.

Comment

• This chiefs game was the first time I’ve seen Lock not make any high level throws. He usually drops a few dimes every game that makes me think if we can just get that to be the norm we will be ok.

Against the Pats he dropped it in between the CB and the S in a cover 2 shell multiple times. That’s high level QB play. But you can’t base your whole offense around it because it’s not a high percentage play regardless of your QB. The Chiefs recognized that and gameplanned to stop it and Shurmur made no adjustments until half time which resulted in 1 WR just not even able to be an option.

You can’t roll him out to one side constantly with terrible spacing between the receivers and expect good results. Patrick caught a pass on a rollout that was intended for the WR 5 yards behind him, and the TE was maybe 3 yards in front of Patrick. That is terrible executing/play design. We’ve seen that rollout a million times, TE releases to the flat maybe a yard past the LOS, there’s a crossing route behind it about 10-15 yards down the field, a streak pulling defenders away from the crosser and a backside post that usually isn’t even a real read because the QB should be running before he gets that far in his progression.

The receivers have to do a better job of recognizing blitzes and shortening the depth of their routes. On The pick 6, Fant was the first and only read Lock could get to. KC showed blitz the whole time and had Sorensen running a long way to get to Fant. My point is, Fant needs to run a 3 yard out or even just release into the flat instead of running the full depth of what the play calls for. That’s inexperience on Fant’s part and arrogance on Lock for thinking he could fit in without setting his feet.

Lock absolutely needs to improve his footwork but you aren’t going to fix the many years of him reinforcing his bad footwork in 9 games with 1 offseason, 11 missed games, no offseason, and 3 games this season. Lock more than any QB I can think of in recent memory needed reps and a lot of them and due to injuries and this wacky offseason he simply hasn’t received them and his growth has been stunted. In college he ran one of the worst offenses I’ve ever seen for developing a QB. He still flashes at times and that’s a testament to his raw talent. I think he deserves the rest of this season and I’d let him have next season too. Lawrence will be gone when we pick and Fields likely will be too. Even then drafting them and starting over puts us in the same position we are now. A young QB with a 2nd round olineman or possibly even CB/S/MLB. Let’s build the team around Lock for the moment and if he still looks like this by the end of next year, in theory we’ll have a more well rounded team in place to nurture and develop a young QB.

Comment

• Drew Lock is going to be 24 years old November 10th.
                        He is still pretty young.

My nephew told me last Christmas dinner that, "Drew Lock would be out of the league in two years, and that he was no good".

I bet him a case of beer that Drew Lock would have a winning record this year.

​​​​​
                        I didn't realize then that my nephew is some sort of NFL Qb Guru???

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

I'm not one to normally give up quickly on young players. I am on Lock because he doesn't or hasn't shown the ability to have any pocket presence. Even the commentators in the last game were saying "that's just something a QB has to feel" .... That's 2 games in a row he's being called out and that isn't something you teach.
                          But it’s something he was praised for last year in his 5 game stretch.

Comment

• Lol

Comment

• Lock can't hit the broad side of a barn. He's on thin ice and with this garbage offense Rypien is a better fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                                Drew Lock is going to be 24 years old November 10th.
                                He is still pretty young.

My nephew told me last Christmas dinner that, "Drew Lock would be out of the league in two years, and that he was no good".

I bet him a case of beer that Drew Lock would have a winning record this year.

​​​​​
                                I didn't realize then that my nephew is some sort of NFL Qb Guru???

Can your nephew legally drink?

Comment

Working...
                                X