• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megalodon30
    Football Immortal
    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I've seen Dak play and he's a top-10 quarterback for sure which to me is worth mortgaging the future. He's not Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes but he's definitely a quality quarterback. And you can't even talk about playoff records for the Broncos for the past 5 seasons, so I would take a quarterback who would at least put us in the conversation.
    Well, why don't we try to get Dalton from Dallas instead? He's been to the playoffs multiple times. Quality means nothing if you can't perform in the most important games and Dak has yet to prove he's ready to be a prime time playoff QB. I'm buying in on Lock more than Dak right now. Dak has a lot to prove and I doubt he could behind our O-line.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• Skyhawk184
      Practice Squad
      • Sep 2020

We went down this path when we started 0-4 last year and we found a way to win 7 games. I don't know if THAT will happen again but I suspect we'll still find a way to eek out 5-7 wins. Even 4 wins probably won't get you the #1 pick IMO.
      I doubt we end up with the #1 pick as well, and I had pretty high hopes coming into the season. I just can't talk myself into wins over anyone other than the Jets, and Panthers without CMac. If we lose anymore guys 1-15 is a sobering possibility in my opinion.

Comment

• mojo0730
        Football Immortal
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
        Well, why don't we try to get Dalton from Dallas instead? He's been to the playoffs multiple times. Quality means nothing if you can't perform in the most important games and Dak has yet to prove he's ready to be a prime time playoff QB. I'm buying in on Lock more than Dak right now. Dak has a lot to prove and I doubt he could behind our O-line.
        Because Andy Dalton would be a rental. We could actually build around Dak and he could play for another 10, heck 15 years. At 0-4 the season is basically over anyway. You're trading for Dak for a long-term answer.
        sigpic

Comment

• andrewmlb
          Spirit fingers included
          • Apr 2009

Guys, calm down, we have Blake Bortles
          I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
          I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
          I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
          "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
          God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
          Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

• XterraRob
            Bench Warmer
            • Nov 2014

Once again, thankfully the fans aren't in charge of the team..

"Win now!!!" is what got us to where we are today, now we have to continue to suffer from it.

Drew Lock is a step in the right direction, just need to draft better fans next year.
            I believe.

Comment

• Bronco51
              Football Immortal
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by teetdogs View Post
              Why would we do that, if we start 0-4 it becomes tank for Trevor we aren't selling the farm for another mediocre QB.
              Purposefully tanking means you are committed to Fangio for a while. No coach will lose on purpose unless there are some guarantees. And, I've said it before, I don't trust this current staff to draft, develop, and build around a guy like Lawrence. He would have 2 or 3 different OC's and be a lost cause. IMHO.

Comment

• mojo0730
                Football Immortal
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
                Guys, calm down, we have Blake Bortles
                Right? Maybe Lock may develop into a quality quarterback and I'm not saying necessarily give up on him. But at 0-4 and with this line as well as no intent to protect him, how much are we really going to expect from Lock? Do we even believe he'll finish the season?

With Dak and that tumultuous relationship he has with Dallas, it seems to me that if we lose to the Jets on Thursday it wouldn't hurt to at least ask if they're willing to part with him and for what.
                sigpic

Comment

• mojo0730
                  Football Immortal
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                  Once again, thankfully the fans aren't in charge of the team..

"Win now!!!" is what got us to where we are today, now we have to continue to suffer from it.

Drew Lock is a step in the right direction, just need to draft better fans next year.
                  I'm not thinking "win now". I'm thinking at 0-4 the season is over and with this team the likelihood that we can actually develop a quarterback like Lock, much less keep him healthy, is improbable.

With Dak, you can bring him in and actually build a team around his talents. He's a proven quarterback and he could have 10-15 years left easy to continue playing.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Rich_C
                    Captain
                    • Aug 2012

I've seen Dak play and he's a top-10 quarterback for sure which to me is worth mortgaging the future. He's not Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes but he's definitely a quality quarterback. And you can't even talk about playoff records for the Broncos for the past 5 seasons, so I would take a quarterback who would at least put us in the conversation.
                    IMO - a $40 million dollar QB MUST elevate your team to a point where they make other players around them better. In addition at that price tag you also want a QB who makes FA vets WANT to play on your team. More over you want those players to take less to play for your team because they feel that together as a group you can win it all. Dak has shown he cannot do that. Dak has shown time and time again that when expectations are low OR when the opponent is well ahead and they are playing prevent that he can put up numbers. That to me is not a $40 million dollar QB.

Comment

• mojo0730
                      Football Immortal
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                      IMO - a $40 million dollar QB MUST elevate your team to a point where they make other players around them better. In addition at that price tag you also want a QB who makes FA vets WANT to play on your team. More over you want those players to take less to play for your team because they feel that together as a group you can win it all. Dak has shown he cannot do that. Dak has shown time and time again that when expectations are low OR when the opponent is well ahead and they are playing prevent that he can put up numbers. That to me is not a $40 million dollar QB.
                      Any top-10 quarterback moving forward will likely command $35-40 million a year easy. So if we're thinking we're going to avoid that somehow AND obtain a quarterback who can compete with the likes of Mahomes, then I think that's a mistake.

Again, I've seen Dak play. I believed in him from college. I think he's a great quarterback that can elevate the team. Again, he's not Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, or in that tier. But he's certainly an upgrade at the position over anything we've had since Manning retired. And I think he can be a Matt Ryan/Phillip Rivers (in his prime)-type quarterback.
                      sigpic

Comment

• L.M.
                        Vitalstatistix
                        • Oct 2006

Nothing less than a guy of Peyton Manning's caliber is worth making the rather desperate move of "selling the farm", sacrificing significant assets, and that ain't Dak. Even if we could pry a great QB away, all hopes are then pinned on one person being the "savior", and if he goes down to injury behind of our porous o-line, or from some fluke, because we've put all our eggs in one basket, then we're truly screwed.

Building up the team, properly addressing the fundamental structure of the offense, the O-line, and adding quality depth, are the things to do now while Lock is on a rookie contract. If we can solidify that line, and improve the pass protection, then his injury risk is lowered. Then he doesn't have to continually scramble out and try to make things happen on the run and he can make a play from the pocket.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Megalodon30
                          Football Immortal
                          • Sep 2019

I'm not thinking "win now". I'm thinking at 0-4 the season is over and with this team the likelihood that we can actually develop a quarterback like Lock, much less keep him healthy, is improbable.

With Dak, you can bring him in and actually build a team around his talents. He's a proven quarterback and he could have 10-15 years left easy to continue playing.
                          What has he proven? What can you point to to say that Dak is a Super Bowl level QB?
                          Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• mojo0730
                            Football Immortal
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                            Nothing less than a guy of Peyton Manning's caliber is worth making the rather desperate move of "selling the farm", sacrificing significant assets, and that ain't Dak. Even if we could pry a great QB away, all hopes are then pinned on one person being the "savior", and if he goes down to injury behind of our porous o-line, or from some fluke, because we've put all our eggs in one basket, then we're truly screwed.

Building up the team, properly addressing the fundamental structure of the offense, the O-line, and adding quality depth, are the things to do now while Lock is on a rookie contract. If we can solidify that line, and improve the pass protection, then his injury risk is lowered. Then he doesn't have to continually scramble out and try to make things happen on the run and he can make a play from the pocket.
                            I think any top-10 quarterback is worth mortgaging the farm. If you have a top-5 list which includes say, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees (the latter two's ages not withstanding), and then the next tier which includes Roethlisberger, Jackson, Watson, Ryan, and Prescott...then yes I would say all those quarterbacks would be worth mortgaging the future over, even if Prescott isn't as good as Mahomes.
                            sigpic

Comment

• L.M.
                              Vitalstatistix
                              • Oct 2006

Wilkinson is out so that's a huge plus for our pass protection already. I'll see how they do with a different RT before I make any serious judgements about how good bad our o-line really is. If the whole line really is bad, than it will be a lot harder to develop Lock, but then why would we want Stafford? He's been hurt a lot and there's no reason he wouldn't get hurt here.

And as far as Prescott, I wouldn't want him. I want nothing to do with a QB that wants a giant $40 million contract that has yet to prove anything in the playoffs. The potential of Lock >>> Anything Prescott offers.
                              The line folded at multiple points on the play where Lock got injured. Lock's mobility masked deficiencies but its expiration date was reached. It's going to take one or two better linemen and some time for them to gel into one unit. There has to be better consistency, and a pocket when we need one.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• mojo0730
                                Football Immortal
                                • Oct 2006

What has he proven? What can you point to to say that Dak is a Super Bowl level QB?
                                He scores points, throws for lots of yards, and by all accounts is a pretty decent human being. Again, a Super Bowl isn't guaranteed regardless but I feel Dak is an immediate upgrade over what we have and have had over the past 5 years. He's 41-26 as a starter which also is an upgrade over what we've endured for 5 years.

So yeah...you're getting a proven veteran who can lead an offense effectively and has a winning record as a starter. Checks the boxes I care about.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X