If I were the Broncos and start 0-4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Question for Sam or anyone’s who coached the oline before really. Have you ever tried to gauge how good your C (or all linemen) peripheral vision? I’ve rarely heard it being talked about but i think it’s huge for linemen as far as recognizing defenses pre snap and even to a degree post snap.
    The Guards and Tackles line up with their helmet even with the Center's waist, Guards usually a little bit closer to LOS than Tackles. Center's head is on a swivel and he can see the alignment of the defensive front, and makes the line calls based on that. Guards can only see their side and Tackles can see from the adjacent G out. If Tackles and Guards are in a 2-point stance, their field of vision is increased. Varying line splits affects vision, too.

Defense must align to the offensive formation. O-Line knows the play and part of understanding the line call usually involves counting. D-Linemen and Backers often stem and sugar to confuse blocking assignments. NFL defenses employ stunts and twists often in pass rush schemes and those are a challenge to block. Coordination with TEs and Backs is essential. Interior O-Linemen sometimes find themselves momentarily uncovered in pass protection and must make a split second decision as to where to look and whom to help. Zone blitz is effective because an anticipated pass rusher drops, and rush comes from a different defender like a Corner. It's also effective because it can fool the QB by putting a defender in an unexpected spot.

Gauging peripheral vision can be done by an optometrist, whether or not vision is corrected. Contact lenses can help. Some optometrists recommend minor plastic surgery to remove excess skin in the area around the eyelids which can improve vision. This can be evaluated while a player is wearing his helmet, because the hat usually squishes one's face somewhat distorting appearance. Linemen have more elaborate facemasks which can affect vision as well.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
      People read, remember and in some cases make up what they want to.
      I have seen plenty of people bash him for his mind numbing penalties at times, but those have been well earned.

As for me, I live in Utah so I always have an interest in our States CFB programs and players. I was happy we got Bolles and I'm pulling for him. He played HS football, JUCO football, and D1 football all here in Utah. His background wasn't great but he made a great future by working hard. I would never call that "un-coachable"
      For the record, I have never been part of that narrative because I feel strongly, and have expressed it on this message board, that a football player can get better, worse or stay the same. That is because they are human, not some component of a known quantity which can be plugged into or out of a given system.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, there are some who have posted their total lack of confidence in Garrett and have given up on him before this season. Just wondered where they are.

Don't think Denver has any players from BYU, Weber State, Utah State, Dixie State, but Tim Patrick and Garrett Bolles seem to be doing well and Darrin Paulo is on the PS, all representing the Utes.

Garrett Bolles is playing well and am looking forward to seeing how he does the remainder of the season.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Across the league, offensive holding calls in general are significantly lower compared to last season (59% fewer):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...y-more-offense

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          For the record, I have never been part of that narrative because I feel strongly, and have expressed it on this message board, that a football player can get better, worse or stay the same. That is because they are human, not some component of a known quantity which can be plugged into or out of a given system.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, there are some who have posted their total lack of confidence in Garrett and have given up on him before this season. Just wondered where they are.

Don't think Denver has any players from BYU, Weber State, Utah State, Dixie State, but Tim Patrick and Garrett Bolles seem to be doing well and Darrin Paulo is on the PS, all representing the Utes.

Garrett Bolles is playing well and am looking forward to seeing how he does the remainder of the season.
          I am looking forward to watching him develop as well. One thing that gets overlooked with Bolles is his love of competition.

As for the local guys- not a lot on our team, but I'm shocked how often I'm watching a game and hear familiar names of guys making plays. Guys getting real playing time as starters or key reserves too.

Penei Sewell is another local kid (High School) that I am hoping has a great career. It's great to see him getting the attention he is already.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            Question for Sam or anyone’s who coached the oline before really. Have you ever tried to gauge how good your C (or all linemen) peripheral vision? I’ve rarely heard it being talked about but i think it’s huge for linemen as far as recognizing defenses pre snap and even to a degree post snap.
            Do you mean the test vision by a doctor or the ability to recognize what a defense is doing?

Testing the basic vision itself is an interesting concept for NFL players.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              Do you mean the test vision by a doctor or the ability to recognize what a defense is doing?

Testing the basic vision itself is an interesting concept for NFL players.
              Yeah just seeing how well they see something out the corner of their eye. I imagine it can make a big difference in recognizing things before or as they’re happening. Let’s say the offense has 2 WRs in bunch near the LT and the RB/TE and the other WR are all on the right, maybe the nickel CB doesn’t show blitz presnap but he comes anyway as the dline slants inside to give the CB a clear lane to the QB. If he can see that CB coming out the corner of his eye he can pass it off to his OG and get out and make that block.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                I think the Broncos call the Cowboys and see what the asking price is. Start from there. I would say if it's something akin to two first rounders and Lock...I can live with that.
                This is the issue. How can anyone form a logical opinion without knowing the price? With this example, I wouldn't make the trade.

BTW I think we've all seen Dak play. I know I have. He plays for the Cowboys and they are on TV and talked about more than any other team. He tends to put up stats when they don't mean a lot. He's a good QB but I have to wonder why the Cowboys would trade him for a price we feel reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                  This is the issue. How can anyone form a logical opinion without knowing the price? With this example, I wouldn't make the trade.

BTW I think we've all seen Dak play. I know I have. He plays for the Cowboys and they are on TV and talked about more than any other team. He tends to put up stats when they don't mean a lot. He's a good QB but I have to wonder why the Cowboys would trade him for a price we feel reasonable.
                  Trading the farm hardly ever works anyway so I can't see it being a viable plan. If pushed, I, like you, wouldn't do it for Dak anyway. The only player I would consider (if available) would be Russell Wilson - someone who has proven he can produce miracles behind a substandard OL.
                  Last edited by GMTD; 10-01-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Fair or not, Lock's durability has to be discussed. Last year it was his thumb, now it's his shoulder. If he's going to be prone to injuries that causes him to miss time, consistently, then we need to have to seriously consider another option at QB.

I'm not saying we have to move on from him now, but, we must see him be able to stay healthy.

Comment

Matt Stafford??? That makes me laugh! Dak isn't going no where!!!This is possibly the worst O line in the NFL! But at least we have like 20 good TEs!!! LMAO! Nope. Need O Line. Need some D Backs that can cover ANYBODY!!!
                      sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

The roster construction of this team is completely dependent on our QB being on a cheap, rookie contract.

If we traded for Prescott/Stafford, it’s a virtual wave goodbye to a few of the following: Miller, Casey, Bouye, Simmons, KJax, Bolles— and it would be very difficult to retain either Chubb/Sutton.
                        2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                        Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Working...
                        X