Bolles Misunderstood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolles Misunderstood

Turns out those of us who were down on Bolles just failed to realize that he was a pioneer and visionary who was simply a few years ahead of his time:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...y-more-offense

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...lties-scoring/

Yeah, I was watching a few replays where Bolles clearly has his arm hooked around a defender that in years past would have given him a few holding calls per game, but they weren’t called.

In the above link, it’s also interesting that defensive penalties are up. In particular, I think the call on Ojemudia this past game was made up. Just puts things in perspective a bit.

Good thread!
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

I'm glad he seems to be playing better. I'm starting to like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
        I'm glad he seems to be playing better. I'm starting to like him.
        is he playing better? They changed the way penalties will be called.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
          I think he may be playing better, but clearly he is also benefiting from the officiating changes. I’m sure Munchak is great but I can’t believe you go from being one of the most penalized left tackles to completely fine just like that.

In short, I still think he falls way short of his first round draft status, now with his contract and no fifth year option he is going to be inappropriately pricey and I think we’ll cut bait and be in the market for two starting tackles within the next year.
          To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

The guy is huge, 6'5" 300 lbs.
            I'm just happy I'm not hearing his number being called for penalties as much.

Comment

I am glad to see improvement with Bolles. Even when he was drafted he was always a project due to his inexperience, undersized, and bad technique. He has been working on all of them since entering the league.

As he finally seems to be “getting it “ he will likely be leaving in free agency. Still hoping he proves he belongs and he and the Broncos can find a happy medium on a new contract.

In watching the games, it looks like he has gotten stronger on his run blocking. At time collapsing the entire side or driving the defender back 5yards. Sure he has benefitted from less calls league wide but so has every olineman in the league. Even the call Bolles did get I have seen defended as good technique.

He has not lived up to lofty 1st rd expectations and has been frustrating with his holding calls and short temper but overall he
              is finally becoming a reliable tackle.

Hope Elway finds a way to keep him and dump a James and Wilkerson. Still have hope the interior line can improve because so far they have been horrible and somehow get whistled for holding even with the relaxed officiating. Go figure?

Comment

Not sure what is going to happen with the rest of our team but my ideal world we would franchise tag Bolles and pay him after a 2nd year of good play. In fact if he continues his current improvement over this year and next I would be good giving him a huge deal that is not horrible for the team.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I sat next to Garrett and introduced myself at a restaurant in the SLC airport about 3 weeks before Denver drafted him. We were both eating breakfast between flights, I recognized him as soon as he sat down next to me. First, he really is huge, when he shook my hand I was FLOORED at his big paws, holy smokes! Fellas, after meeting Garrett, I am tickled that he’s finally gaining some ground as a player and earning some respect, he could not have been more humble, polite, or pleasant while we talked. He was a SOLID human, The kind you easily welcome into your family. I’m glad Denver has him and I’m glad he’s finally seeing some solid play and fan love/respect. I really hope he plays himself into a big contract whether it’s in Denver or elsewhere, I like to see good people winning at life...

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    Yes. And to be fair he started playing better the last 5 games or so last season, before any interpretation of the holding rules changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X