Changes I’d like to see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes I’d like to see

Some things I’d personally like to see happen: 1) Bring in Louis Riddick to be our GM, Elway has to go. 2) Bring in an experienced and successful HC as Fangio is lost and is best suited as a DC. 3) Quit pouring money into the Def and invest in a QB and OL. I like Lock, but he’s proving to be too fragile and not someone we can count on being healthy. I know Elway has tried spending money on the OL, but has failed miserably which goes back to bringing in a different GM. I would like to give Louis Riddick a shot, but really, anyone other than Elway would work.

Knee jerk....

No team has been hit harder with injuries this year period. If Lock comes back and wins some games with this depleted roster then Elway is safe, really no argument

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      Knee jerk....

No team has been hit harder with injuries this year period. If Lock comes back and wins some games with this depleted roster then Elway is safe, really no argument
      Hardly a “knee jerk” reaction. These are feelings I’ve had for several years in regards to Elway. I loved Elway as much as anyone (my father built Elway first house in Denver) as a player, but as a GM he’s below average at best. He just has no eye for talent unless it’s a no brainer decision. As far as Lock, as I stated, he’s proving to be unreliable and too fragile to play in the NFL. If he wasn’t so injury prone, I’d love to see how he develops. But some people’s bodies just aren’t capable of playing at the next level.

Comment

I'm with jvdub. Our injuries and James sitting out is brutal .

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyChris79 View Post
          Hardly a “knee jerk” reaction. These are feelings I’ve had for several years in regards to Elway. I loved Elway as much as anyone (my father built Elway first house in Denver) as a player, but as a GM he’s below average at best. He just has no eye for talent unless it’s a no brainer decision. As far as Lock, as I stated, he’s proving to be unreliable and too fragile to play in the NFL. If he wasn’t so injury prone, I’d love to see how he develops. But some people’s bodies just aren’t capable of playing at the next level.
          I value your opinion on this. I like Louis Riddick a lot. I am not ready to call Lock too injury prone just yet because I think every QB gets hurt in the 2 scenarios where he got hurt. Last years injury was kind of freak but Lock was healthy before he able to play. Elway, when the talent is healthy or chooses to play, has done much better in GM performance the last 2 years.

Holy Crap, Fant, Lock, Sutton, Lindsay, Hamler, Wilkinson, Miller, Bouye, James sitting out, Jurell Casey, Walker, Dremont Jones, Justin Hollins, Justin Strnad, Netane Muti hopefully he can contribute soon, Albert Okweugbunam same. We have played both of our 7th round picks this year out of necessity. Not all of these guys were injury prone in college. That is just a whole bunch of potential and established talent in a league where there is very little room for error on draft and free agent acquisitions.

Comment

Changes I would like to see. Less first down drops by receivers. More yardage on first down and when we run more specifically. Forcing more turnovers. Continual pressure on QB's.

Comment

What is the % of running on 1st down? I havent watched every snap but it seems like its always a run. Waiting to see PA on 1st .

Comment

The injuries have been brutal. I know when a team has a losing season the call for change is inevitable but the problem is being in perpetual rebuild mode.

The commentators for the Jets game last night even remarked on this. When you have constant turnover at the GM, head coach or coordinator position you don’t ever have a chance to develop continuity. They are always changing personnel to bring in their guys, their system and good players never have a chance to develop or grow in any one system. It’s a recipe for perpetual losing seasons.

Before you blow things up take a long look at this team. This was supposed to be a breakout year but look how many starters we are down. New offensive system, inexperienced quarterback play, and devastating injuries are confounding your assessment.

Come back strong next year, Elway’s drafts are getting better. I mean I’ll admit that drafting has been a weakness for him. Only 2 players on our roster for the drafts between 2010 and 2016. But there are 8 players on the roster from 2017 and 2018 who have contributed meaningfully and 14 from 2019 and 2020 on the roster showing some positive attributes.

I don’t know if Fangio is the right guy but I’d like to roll with it another year and see how we look at full force. The remainder of this season I’d like to see if lock is truly the guy. Small steps forward, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
                To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post
                  The injuries have been brutal. I know when a team has a losing season the call for change is inevitable but the problem is being in perpetual rebuild mode.

The commentators for the Jets game last night even remarked on this. When you have constant turnover at the GM, head coach or coordinator position you don’t ever have a chance to develop continuity. They are always changing personnel to bring in their guys, their system and good players never have a chance to develop or grow in any one system. It’s a recipe for perpetual losing seasons.

Before you blow things up take a long look at this team. This was supposed to be a breakout year but look how many starters we are down. New offensive system, inexperienced quarterback play, and devastating injuries are confounding your assessment.

Come back strong next year, Elway’s drafts are getting better. I mean I’ll admit that drafting has been a weakness for him. Only 2 players on our roster for the drafts between 2010 and 2016. But there are 8 players on the roster from 2017 and 2018 who have contributed meaningfully and 14 from 2019 and 2020 on the roster showing some positive attributes.

I don’t know if Fangio is the right guy but I’d like to roll with it another year and see how we look at full force. The remainder of this season I’d like to see if lock is truly the guy. Small steps forward, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
                  100% correct. Very well said.
                  Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

It’s hard to truly judge this team due to all the injuries. Especially the coaching and FO, these last couple weeks have been brutal for them to try and piece together a team. So many key players have went down. I sit here today basically expecting to hear about the next casualty. However throughout all that I genuinely do believe even with the injuries this team can easily be 3-1 right now, and poor coaching at times has been the biggest reason they aren’t, imo.

It would be fair to wait it out until there’s a full strength roster to truly judge Elway and the Coaching staff, even though Elway has had a ton of chances. I do think that a healthy bronco team is only a couple pieces away. And this could almost be a blessing for us as it surely means we will be in a better draft position for either a top offensive tackle or a game changer on Defense. The 2 biggest needs. I was excited about the team this year but not naive enough to believe they were legit Super Bowl contenders.

Comment

If Chubb can keep that level of play up as well as Jewell playing well in coverage as well as Fangio mixing his defense up and bringing pressure, this team will be fine. Maybe not a winning season due to injuries but they’ll show flashes of good play. Although if this interior oline reverses course and stops getting pushed around so much who knows. Risner was truly awful last night.

But after that game one has to wonder why Bausby didn’t replace Bouye when he was hurt and why Wilkinson was in over Dotson. Bausby played much better than Bassey as did Dotson over Wilk, granted Dotson didn’t face an elite edge rusher like Wilk has seen. Maybe they aren’t in the long term plans but they played much better.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        If Chubb can keep that level of play up as well as Jewell playing well in coverage as well as Fangio mixing his defense up and bringing pressure, this team will be fine. Maybe not a winning season due to injuries but they’ll show flashes of good play. Although if this interior oline reverses course and stops getting pushed around so much who knows. Risner was truly awful last night.

But after that game one has to wonder why Bausby didn’t replace Bouye when he was hurt and why Wilkinson was in over Dotson. Bausby played much better than Bassey as did Dotson over Wilk, granted Dotson didn’t face an elite edge rusher like Wilk has seen. Maybe they aren’t in the long term plans but they played much better.
                        Jewell playing well in coverage is not something I expect to see. At all. I actually think he has the intelligence for the position but not the speed: a 4.82 sec 40yd - 43 percentile for ILBs, 20 yd similar, 10 yd 1.63 sec - 73 percentile. That tells me he has a good first step and maybe a touch of burst, but no physical ability to to go any faster.And at 235-ish, he's very undersized for an ILB, evidenced in some tackling issues last week.

At most I think he's a depth guy forced in to the role, like so many this season, due to injury.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyChris79 View Post
                          Some things I’d personally like to see happen: 1) Bring in Louis Riddick to be our GM, Elway has to go. 2) Bring in an experienced and successful HC as Fangio is lost and is best suited as a DC. 3) Quit pouring money into the Def and invest in a QB and OL. I like Lock, but he’s proving to be too fragile and not someone we can count on being healthy. I know Elway has tried spending money on the OL, but has failed miserably which goes back to bringing in a different GM. I would like to give Louis Riddick a shot, but really, anyone other than Elway would work.
                          Elway’s contract is up at the end of 2021, I don’t see the team moving on from him until then with no owner. Unless things miraculously turn around I do agree that we should move on from him. I’d love to see Peyton get that job, not sure he would want it.

How do you think Riddick would fix our O-Line? Or what has he done in the past that gives you faith in him?
                          I like Riddick as an analyst, I’m not familiar with his GM experience.

As far as the oline goes, we have invested in the line:
                          - brought in best O-Line coach in league in Munchak
                          - LT 1st rd pick for Bolles ( he is finally playing solid)
                          - LG 2nd rd pick Risner ( has not played well this year)
                          - C 3rd rd pick LLOYD Cushenberry ( struggling as a rookie)
                          - RG invested big $ in Glasgow ( not played well this year)
                          - RT invested big $ in James ( didn’t play due to Covid- 19)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean we need to FIX the O-Line because investing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks along with paying two played top position money wouldn’t be considered not investing.

I do agree until we get the oline solid doesn’t make much sense to move on from Lock.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                            Elway’s contract is up at the end of 2021, I don’t see the team moving on from him until then with no owner. Unless things miraculously turn around I do agree that we should move on from him. I’d love to see Peyton get that job, not sure he would want it.

How do you think Riddick would fix our O-Line? Or what has he done in the past that gives you faith in him?
                            I like Riddick as an analyst, I’m not familiar with his GM experience.

As far as the oline goes, we have invested in the line:
                            - brought in best O-Line coach in league in Munchak
                            - LT 1st rd pick for Bolles ( he is finally playing solid)
                            - LG 2nd rd pick Risner ( has not played well this year)
                            - C 3rd rd pick LLOYD Cushenberry ( struggling as a rookie)
                            - RG invested big $ in Glasgow ( not played well this year)
                            - RT invested big $ in James ( didn’t play due to Covid- 19)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean we need to FIX the O-Line because investing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks along with paying two played top position money wouldn’t be considered not investing.

I do agree until we get the oline solid doesn’t make much sense to move on from Lock.

As I watched the game last night, I pondered a "what if" ….

What if Denver ends up with the #1 pick? Even if Lock looks good, do they draft Lawrence and move away from Lock? I think Lawrence is far and away better than Lock, but at this point we don't know for sure. It would be an interesting scenario.......
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stackhouser View Post
                              As I watched the game last night, I pondered a "what if" ….

What if Denver ends up with the #1 pick? Even if Lock looks good, do they draft Lawrence and move away from Lock? I think Lawrence is far and away better than Lock, but at this point we don't know for sure. It would be an interesting scenario.......
                              If Denver ends up with the number one pick, it would be because Drew Lock came back and couldn’t do enough to even get one win. And the Jets have to get two wins somewhere. If so then absolutely you go with Lawrence. Heck, even if Drew showed something if you have the number one Pick you still go with Lawrence and trade Drew.

I just don’t think you pass that up. But I don’t think that’s in the cards for us. I think we play well enough to be out of the top pick and instead pick up a great offensive lineman or impact defender.
                              To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Working...
                              X