Changes I’d like to see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    Jewell playing well in coverage is not something I expect to see. At all. I actually think he has the intelligence for the position but not the speed: a 4.82 sec 40yd - 43 percentile for ILBs, 20 yd similar, 10 yd 1.63 sec - 73 percentile. That tells me he has a good first step and maybe a touch of burst, but no physical ability to to go any faster.And at 235-ish, he's very undersized for an ILB, evidenced in some tackling issues last week.

At most I think he's a depth guy forced in to the role, like so many this season, due to injury.
    He did well last night, granted it was mainly against a 37 year old Frank Gore.

I had a long detailed post breaking down what Jewell can do to be better in coverage but got a phone call and lost my connection. Basically what it boils down to for him is, don’t fall for eye candy ie play action or short routes trying to open up stuff behind him, pass guys off and not chase everyone through your zone, and know everyone’s assignments and how they cover concepts/route combos.

His best bet is probably actually man coverage against RBs in the backfield. He takes good angles which keeps him in good enough position for anything out of the backfield. Just don’t match him up with an elite receiving RB, any TE that isn’t only a blocker, or let him go out and cover someone out wide.

Even though we gave up a lot of points last night, that was probably the best defensive game Fangio has called this season. He ran a lot more man and he blitzed a lot more. He made an adjustment to take out Bassey and put in Bausby which was huge.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
      Elway’s contract is up at the end of 2021, I don’t see the team moving on from him until then with no owner. Unless things miraculously turn around I do agree that we should move on from him. I’d love to see Peyton get that job, not sure he would want it.

How do you think Riddick would fix our O-Line? Or what has he done in the past that gives you faith in him?
      I like Riddick as an analyst, I’m not familiar with his GM experience.

As far as the oline goes, we have invested in the line:
      - brought in best O-Line coach in league in Munchak
      - LT 1st rd pick for Bolles ( he is finally playing solid)
      - LG 2nd rd pick Risner ( has not played well this year)
      - C 3rd rd pick LLOYD Cushenberry ( struggling as a rookie)
      - RG invested big $ in Glasgow ( not played well this year)
      - RT invested big $ in James ( didn’t play due to Covid- 19)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean we need to FIX the O-Line because investing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks along with paying two played top position money wouldn’t be considered not investing.

I do agree until we get the oline solid doesn’t make much sense to move on from Lock.
      Just an observation , not necessarily making a point but what gm experience does peyton manning have , was just thinking of the detroit lions because of their impressive win at the cardinals last sunday , their gm bob quinn just so happens to be part of the pats dynasty , someone i’ve never heard of but the guy does have experience in acquiring players at the patriots , for what reason would peyton manning be an upgrade over someone like quinn or john schneider at the seahawks both with around twenty years nfl experience in scouting acquiring and developing players .

Comment

Elway’s contract is up at the end of 2021, I don’t see the team moving on from him until then with no owner. Unless things miraculously turn around I do agree that we should move on from him. I’d love to see Peyton get that job, not sure he would want it.

How do you think Riddick would fix our O-Line? Or what has he done in the past that gives you faith in him?
        I like Riddick as an analyst, I’m not familiar with his GM experience.

As far as the oline goes, we have invested in the line:
        - brought in best O-Line coach in league in Munchak
        - LT 1st rd pick for Bolles ( he is finally playing solid)
        - LG 2nd rd pick Risner ( has not played well this year)
        - C 3rd rd pick LLOYD Cushenberry ( struggling as a rookie)
        - RG invested big $ in Glasgow ( not played well this year)
        - RT invested big $ in James ( didn’t play due to Covid- 19)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean we need to FIX the O-Line because investing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks along with paying two played top position money wouldn’t be considered not investing.

I do agree until we get the oline solid doesn’t make much sense to move on from Lock.
        Nice post - especially about the O-Line.

Anyone who thinks Elway hasn't tried to develop/build the o-line isn't looking at all of those facts. Now, has it all worked out? No. But he has been trying to get it right through the draft, free agency, etc.

Comment

The best offenses with the best QBs run about 10 plays a game that gets the ball out of the QB's hand very quickly and puts the ball into their play makers hands.

Screens, designed short passes (QB supposed to release ball in 1-2 sec), shuffle passes...all kinds of things.

We seem to run less than 5 of these plays every game this year even though it would seem our pass protection issues would call for us to run more than other teams. I get we want to mix it up but if we run 60-80 plays a game I think it would be a good idea to run 10 plays a game designed for the QB to release the ball quickly to Gordon, Jeudy, Lindsay, Hamler and Fant. If one of them injured than try the next guy up like Freeman, Butt or Patrick.

It would help our offense get some things going, help the QB get some confidence, help the pass protection and keep the defense off balance.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by dbfansincefeb87 View Post
            Just an observation , not necessarily making a point but what gm experience does peyton manning have , was just thinking of the detroit lions because of their impressive win at the cardinals last sunday , their gm bob quinn just so happens to be part of the pats dynasty , someone i’ve never heard of but the guy does have experience in acquiring players at the patriots , for what reason would peyton manning be an upgrade over someone like quinn or john schneider at the seahawks both with around twenty years nfl experience in scouting acquiring and developing players .
            You are absolutely right Manning has zero experience, that said his attention to detail is special. Manning knows every players job.
            He won a Super Bowl with Ryan Harris and Michael Schofield at the tackle spots.
            He made Julius Thomas a pro bowler and got him paid.
            I think of it’s something he wanted he would bring a culture and a hands on approach that could rebuild this franchise. I could be wrong. Elway had a lot of success with no experience.
            sigpic

Comment

The change I want to see, more wins, fewer losses.

Comment

You are absolutely right Manning has zero experience, that said his attention to detail is special. Manning knows every players job.
                I think of it’s something he wanted he would bring a culture and a hands on approach that could rebuild this franchise. I could be wrong. Elway had a lot of success with no experience.
                I wouldn’t say zero experience, he may have never had the title but I guarantee he had input into what moves the Colts/Broncos made.

Comment

And if the players Riddick brings in all get injured, then what?

Comment

I can't see why he'd want it at this point? His kids are still fairly young, and being a GM (or coach) means insanely long hours. At some point he's going to accept a job as an analyst on broadcasts, and he'll probably get paid way more than as a GM, and it'll be much less time consuming.

That's where I'd like to see him is in the booth. Can you imagine him predicting play calls and diagnosing defenses?

Comment

Many good points, but I give John & Vic a pass as long as they use this season for player evaluation. We are going to go nowhere this year with the injuries. But we can answer many questions. From is Lock injury prone or the guy to should we bring Vonn back or trade him? How will Chubb be going forward? Can we get some better DB, Oline & Def pass rush without Vonn? It's a joke to say Peyton or anyone else should be the new GM. I've been an NFL fan for 65 yrs & a Bronco fan for 20+ yrs. We should have brought Mike S back, but because we have no owner & Ellis "thinks" he is the owner he nixed it period. Same with John who would have the guts to fire him? Joe Ellis? LOL. John will leave when he wants to. Now if we had an owner? Yes it should be considered. Looking around the NFL at the better teams - look at SF. They picked Lynch & Shanahan and gave them long contracts vs changing QB's - Coaches - GM every year or so.
                      Bronco Bob

Comment

I don't believe Peyton wants to be a GM. I think he has his sights much higher. If I were the next Bowlen to take over I'd strongly consider having Peyton as a partner in ownership of some kind.

Comment

Our offensive coaches probably do not spend much time looking at what other teams do successfully that they could do but Chargers just shredded TB defense on first drive with short passing and max protection on long passing.

It is like the Chargers actually knew that TB could rush the passer and came prepared.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Elway has bought in more than enough talent for us to have a competitive football team. The only area he has neglected is the OL but due to injuries and James sitting out it's hard to tell how good they could be. I like Fangio as a coach. He has only screwed up with the T.O but I blame his assistant coaches as well on that one. We can't just keep changes coaches every year because lack of consistency is a reason for failure with any team.
                            Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

I would be so dissapointed to see Elway let go...

He has been KILLING it these last few drafts. I really believe we are headed in the right direction. I love the composition of this team right now and that is all the way up to the old school coaching staff. We've been hit with the injuries... give these guys another off season and we'll head in the right direction.

I am hoping we can lock von up for career with a team friendly contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                                Nice post - especially about the O-Line.

Anyone who thinks Elway hasn't tried to develop/build the o-line isn't looking at all of those facts. Now, has it all worked out? No. But he has been trying to get it right through the draft, free agency, etc.
                                I'm soooo glad for this post. I get so tired of people saying oline this and oline that. Excuses people makeup about how bad the line is. People we will NEVER have 5 1st rd picks on the oline.
                                In my best Terrell Owen's voice...on Justin Fields. "That's my quarterback"

Comment

Working...
                                X